Go to Grad School with the intention of leaving for Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mhockey14221

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I didn't get into medical school for 2009, took this year off polishing my med school resume, and am currently holding a few acceptances to graduate programs in both physics and biophysics. I could not apply for med school beginning Fall 2010 due to the long long med school application process so I intend on applying for Fall 2011.

I am still very determined in attending medical school, so much so that I would willingly drop out of whichever grad program I enroll in to attend med school before I even get a Masters. I brought this idea up with my advisor and said that med schools are wary to take students out of grad programs "because they wouldn't want the same happening to their own grad programs at their university."

I hate the prospect of turning down a grad school admission for a future med school admission then risk ultimately get denied from med school leaving me over 2 years out of undergrad with no prospects or job. Is anyone else in my boat? Anyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Most medical programs will outright reject you because they want/expect you to finish your masters before you go to medical school.

If you are in a grad program when you apply to medical school the consensus holds that the med schools to which you are accepted expect you to finish that program in which you enrolled.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many medical schools will not accept non-graduating students currently enrolled in graduate school. They want you to finish your graduate program before matriculating (ie phd 5-6yrs/2yrs masters then go to med school). Obviously there are some schools that will, but you'd have to look into which ones.

So basically, if you want to go into medicine, don't go to grad school.

So basically, if you want to go into medicine, don't go to grad school.

Or apply after you finish.... I don't see a problem in getting a PhD or Masters prior to getting a MD/DO if that field interests you. I know many members on SDN who get a M.P.H prior to going to medical school. It all depends on what interest you, I mean 2 years of extra schooling after you graduate from college at age 22 makes you the average age of a medical school first year student.

Or apply after you finish.... I don't see a problem in getting a PhD or Masters prior to getting a MD/DO if that field interests you. I know many members on SDN who get a M.P.H prior to going to medical school. It all depends on what interest you, I mean 2 years of extra schooling after you graduate from college at age 22 makes you the average age of a medical school student.

Thanks for all the above replies so far, the main problem I have with finishing a grad program is that MCAT scores are only valid for 3 years. I took my MCAT in July of 2008 so by application time they'll be too old... Or will they? When is the cut-off date for valid MCAT scores?

My friend got rejected the first time we applied in 2007-2008. Once she heard of her rejections, she applied for a master's program at our university and started it. It was a two year program... she does her thesis defense next week and will be going to a DO school this fall.

Med schools will expect you to finish a degree program if you start it. So much so that they can rescind their acceptance should you not complete it. If you want to apply for matriculation in Fall 2011, don't start a graduate program, plain and simple.

And MCAT scores are generally good for 3 years. Not sure if that's prior to matriculation or initial/secondary application (well, I assume it's not matriculation, because mine expire in May and I'm matriculating in August). You'd have to call the schools and ask, most likely.

MCAT scores are only valid for 3 years. I took my MCAT in July of 2008 so by application time they'll be too old... Or will they? When is the cut-off date for valid MCAT scores?
Some schools take scores that are two years old and many take them up until three years before they expire, but there are other schools that accept scores between 4-10 years old. The MSAR has the latest score each school accepts.

I've actually given thought to pursuing an M.S. in Biology with a concentration in something like ecology, wildlife populations, etc during my lag time. I'm just kinda weirded out by the whole thesis thing. If I didn't get in I could come back to state employment as a wildlife biologist and/or teach JuCo. :D I taught H.S. for a while. If the little bastards had acted right it would've been a good gig although I did get bored staying in the same room and saying the same thing over and over all day.

Hi I'm in a similar situation except I went to grad school fully intending to finish but have found I am really unhappy here and have realized med school is for me. My mcat is only valid for one more year so I will be applying for fall of '11. Is it better for me to just leave and do a year of service and just explain the reasons I left or stay and try for a masters which will be nearly imposible in one year?

I hate the prospect of turning down a grad school admission for a future med school admission then risk ultimately get denied from med school leaving me over 2 years out of undergrad with no prospects or job. Is anyone else in my boat? Anyone have any advice?

Grad school is like quicksand, you can't just wade in and then wade back out. If you go, be prepared to sacrifice two years of your life before you even begin the med school application process again.

If you are determined to go to med school, you are better off getting a job and continuing to fluff up your application. Also, retaking the MCAT is about 0.00001% of the hassle of getting a MS.

If you're wondering about my credentials, I did a 6 year PhD before my MD. I maximized time spent and debt accrued while minimizing earnings. Smart, huh?