GO TO INDIA FOR MED SCHOOL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
to madanraj
just curiousity sake, where r u now, what do u do.

Members don't see this ad.

i'd like to second that question. who the hell is this guy?
i'm convinced he's an agent, but he's definitely indian. the last time i was there, the one thing i learned was that a few of the "golden hearts" are also smooth-talking bullsh**ters. i'm indian who was born in the west and i would have an incredibily hard time adjusting to life there. Madanraj spouts the wonders and virtues of a medical education in india, well here's my question for you: why would i spend 5+ years on an MBBS from Madras, for example, be choking on the pollution, and pay $100000 USD tuition up front when I could obtain that degree elsewhere that is cheaper and more comfortable?
By the way, I've travelled everywhere in India, so try hard to convince me.

tm26,

What makes you curious about me? :confused:

Where am I?
Where else you could find America's finest IMGs?
Only in Newyork city :D

What I do?
I think I am helping people with my profession.

I am not an agent for any Indian medical schools.
Ofcourse,it would be wonderful if any medical school offers some thousands of dollars commision from their $100000 tuition fees to this unofficial agent.

I don't have to convince anyone to go to Indian medical school.My purpose of this post is to expose the oppurtunity of excellent quality medical education in India and to spread the message amoung American medical students that medical school education in India is not substandard with any western medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi madanraj,
what do u do??help people of ur profession.oh how is that so.if u r a docter then u should be seeing patients not preaching docters.
hey even iam a indian and especially a south indian. iam not telling indian medical colleges are bad. as such no college is bad at all.
one thing let me know, why r u behind people telling to go to india to do medicine.in india itself their r so many people waiting to do medicine and their dreams or gone and u r telling people from here to go their, why is it so??????

LEt me say something in simple terms (non politically correct). I recommend that you do not go. If you are an american-- stay in this country and do things right. Get an MD/DO from a US school-- not a Ross or a St. George. If you go abroad- stay there-- you will have more opportunity than you will here. If you love America, then this is where you will stay. Work hard, retake the MCATs, do research- whatever. I know it is harder for an Indian to get acceptance in a US school(it is really easy for black,and hispanics though)--but it is better than going abroad (We need to really look at who we vote for to end this--damn liberals). You will never live it down and will have to live with it for the rest of your life.

IMHO from my limited experience and what I was told by my seniors, lecturers and consultants... it is better to study in the place where you likely to practise.. you see, I was offered a Monash degree and said no due to my parental intervention .. but as I struggle with my course (I'm in an established local med skool which is I'm proud of), I came upon stories of doctors that graduated from overseas doing badly in their inter years as they were neither used to nor familliar with the local medical environment... so they take more time to get adjusted and this could be a setback to some...

but there are other benefits of studying overseas.. just trust your heart and God will show you the way...

Hi! I am an Indian raised in America. My parents have done everything to raise me in the Indian tradition. However, I like to view myself as an American because thats how I feel. May be I am an ABCD.

About India...I have been to India several times and as an American going to India these are the major problems I find everytime I visit :

1. BATHROOMS: I know none of you might think of this while applying to medical school in India but the bathrooms in India are AWEFUL!! I try to hold my bowel for as long as I can ( which is about a week) untill my mom tells everybody that I haven't used the bathroom to force me to use the toilet!! Yup! It is that bad for me. My uncle just bought a beautiful house last summer. I mean it looked absolutely gorgeous like a Palace...UNTILL I asked them where the bathroom was!! Even my relatives had aweful bathrooms! I am from the North ( Delhi ) and the electricity and water supply there is still not good. There are times of the day when there is no water and that means you can't flush the toilet which brings out all the smell etc. Bathrooms are my number one problem everytime I go to India. Also, very few of them use bathroom tissue paper in them too as water is used for *all* the bathroom purposes. When the water supply is on ( usually during early morning hours) the ladies of the house fill huge buckets of water and save them for use for the day .

2. Yes it is HOT!! Hot like you have never seen. India is situated at the equator and you are going to sweat like crazy! And no fan or AC is going to cool you because the electricity is often shut off from time to time during the day...those hours were especially hard for me pass wile sweating helplessly while controlling my bowel!! Also, as an ABCD girl I had sworn that I will wear Jeans every single day in India but I was forced ( by the heat) to wear the Salwaar Kameez which is the Cultural dress because I just felt comfortable wearing it there...You will SWEAT in Jeans too over there!!

3. Social life--As an American, I cannot live without discos,clubs and bars!! I am sorry...but I love to dance and get drunk and to just chill-out for a while. You will not find any disco places in India. My cousin told me that there were two clubs in Delhi that he knew but I was told that I should not go there because girls from "good" families shouldn't party at clubs. We should help out in the kitchen and be with family!...I found this explanation quite sick!! I wish India could modernise.

4. Culture: India has a culture. In America people do what they want freely but Indians don't live their life anyway they want. They follow a strict culture. Thats just the way it is.

5. Racism..: As an Indian , I also get stared at by people everytime I go to India. So, I don't think that they only stare at white people. Its just that they might find you as somebody that they don't usually see anywhere around and , so, they stare. Don't entertain their stares. Just walk your way and be careful...A girl shouldn't go alone on the streets of India--no matter if she is white or Indian.

Anyway...these were the negative points that I didn't like about my wonderful country. However, the education in India is EXCELLENT!! I am not kidding about this!! I have personal friends and relatives who did medical school there and they know their stuff inside out. They are now Chiefs, Program directors and Attendings in their practices in USA. I myself am a second year med student in the North East. I would never go to India but my second year at med school is not going so well now. I am actually considering med school in India. Plus its cheaper! I have personal connections that can get me a US residency when I get back. If you are going to a foriegn country I would suggest that you get connections in the US to help you when you get back here...because I know a ton of Indian and foriegn docs who have passed the USMLEs but they are still sitting around waiting for residencies. Otherwise...you will only be wasting time and energy at a medical school in a foriegn country. Just do your research before you go. But, yes, Indian med schools produce quality doctors and I have personally seen this. Also, they don't rush through tough courses like Anatomy in three months etc like US med schools do...You will get to do Anatomy and Physiology courses for at least a whole year...you actually learn the stuff!! As for me...I know I passed Physiology in 3 months here in the US but I cant remember anything!! My uncle tells me that he studied Anatomy from "Grays Anatomy" when he was there!! That surprised me!! I can't imagine hoow I am going to live in India for 5 years but my second year grades are really suffering! I guess its time for me to go back to that place called "my country"!! If any of you have any more suggestions for me let me know..

I would also like more info about Manipal....I have about $60,000 already taken out for thse two years of med school which I wasted!! Will I be able to get financial Aid for Manipal? My family relatives graduated from North Indian medical schools and are unable to answer this. Also, are there any computers there at Manipal...I cannot live without the internet. ( I hope the computers are cheap enough!). Does Manipal have a website? Where can I get their info from....Please help!

There have been lot of debates on this thread about Indian medical education, culture, racism, blah blah blah that I decided to contribute my 2 cents. Make it 20 cents rather, as this is quite a long post.

Consider the fact that I present my perspective of the big picture, as much as I could see it, as I was born and brought up for the first 17 years of my life in a small town with a population of around 250,000 and went to med-school in a big city with a population of more than 5,000,000 - both in the south indian state of tamil nadu.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Madanraj:
•In India,if Madanraj goes with Nik to somewhere and meets a group of Indian med students...still Madanraj will be ignored.Nik will steal the show because he is an American,he is a foriegner and he is
white.Do you get my point?.Those guys will be more friendly with you than me.

India is a peculiar country.I am an Indian and still I have not understood about this Indian mentality.If Nik can steal the show...imagine what an American woman can do?•••••:cool: People
True and false. Not all people are the same. Some admire you and some may not like you - but they keep it to themselves, just like everywhere else. And there are no hate crimes in cities. And a very low number of armed crimes. You can't get a gun in India, and may be 1 out of a million Indians have one.

Also, you'll invite those different stares only if you don't blend with the people there. Well, it's the norm everywhere. Imagine how people will look at if a foreigner follows his/her own culture and clothing inside a US Medschool. You can't wear short-skirts inside an Indian medschool. You can't wear indian sarees inside a US medschool either. Indians are pretty conservative and strict follwers of their own, atleast in daylight. The after-dark life of all Indians cannot be standardized. The standard deviation is equal to the range itself. :p

I have a friend from medschool - she was born and brought up in north america but she did her medschool in India. And almost all my classmates admired her - she's one of the few most intelligent, modest and smart girls I've ever met.

If you find them too obstrusive, you can keep your distance, and they will let you be. Because sometimes, I've found them getting too interested in what you do, especially if you live in the hostel. Anyway, you can always rent an apartment and commute to school. But if you make good friends, they will do everything for you - that's something I like about Indians. I had a large gang of 14 guys, and we never messed up with anyone else, but if someone wins/loses, everyone took it like their own, and were always ready to help with everything we had - it was like a big family. My parents knew my friends and their parents, though I lived 400 km (300 miles) away from home. And if there was a wedding or a funeral in a friends family some 400 miles away, there would be some 50 to 100 friends (well, not even close friends) from the medschool, on a 10 hour train journey to get there.

:cool: Quality of education
It depends on how you look. I studied in a government medical college in India. It may be a bit different in private colleges - as the faculty get paid more. Also, note that Govt colleges only accept Indian citizens, and foreigners have to apply to the private ones.

We didn't have hi-tech computers and video projectors in lecture halls - just the blackboard. I did a TA here for the gross anat course in a US Medschool, and it's technologically very advanced, the profs were very intelligent and involved. I just loved it.

Though most of our faculty were great, some weren't very involved. Also, some teachers lacked commonsense. But my experience with the US system is very limited that I can't compare.

But you have what you need - no one's gonna stop you from learning. You have the labs, the wards, the patients and the residents were always willing to teach you - they would come to the wards even at evenings/night to teach you clinical cases if you ask them. Also, you get an awfully large number of patients. You get to learn a lot of clinical stuff. You can do this - read the books on your own, and learn clinical stuff from the Profs. We didn't have an MRI - a CT was the most expensive piece of equipment we had - but we had the first ISO certified Govt hospital department in the country, one of the few centres of liver transplant in the country and one of the best centers for plastic surgery in India.

Well, some of the faculty were pretty screwed up and thought too much about themselves - but I dont know much about faculty worldwide to compare. I can say they weren't perfect. And if you are interested in medical research, India is not a very good choice except for some 10 medical schools in the country.

I can give you an example of the quality of medical education. Here in the US, we had a Prof demonstrate a medical SW called Iliad - it gave the clinical features of the case. It was a case of chronic cholecyctitis. I could diagnose in a few steps with the history and basic labs, whereas some of the US medical graduates took sophisticated diagnostic procdures to diagnose it. I dont mean to say that the Indian educational system is superior - it's definitely not - but it's just different. It aims at diagnosing and treating with less expenses to the patient with simple tests, without much emphasis on sophisticated procedures unless certainly necessary. I can think of two reasons for this -
1. They are too expensive to afford in India.
2. There are not such huge liability issues involved.
3. The state pays for healthcare in government hospitals, not the patient.
4. India has 1.1 billion people and is one-fifth the size of US in area.

And a classmate and a close friend of mine got 99th percentile in MLE step 1 and 93rd percentile in step 2. Some more of my classmates faired similarly (above 92nd percentile in both the steps).

So, I'd say it depends to a greater extent on the student. One graduate from my medschool has got the highest civilian awards of US, UK and Sri Lanka and another from some other medical school in the state has 4 FRCS's behind his name - and he's quite young too - early 40's or late 30's - he teaches in SRMC in Chennai.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Youngling:

I would also like more info about Manipal....I have about $60,000 already taken out for thse two years of med school which I wasted!! Will I be able to get financial Aid for Manipal? My family relatives graduated from North Indian medical schools and are unable to answer this. Also, are there any computers there at Manipal...I cannot live without the internet. ( I hope the computers are cheap enough!). Does Manipal have a website? Where can I get their info from....Please help!
• ••••:cool: Computers and Internet
Computers are cheap in India - they cost the same they do in the US. Internet connection is available everywhere, but is a bit expensive than here. And private colleges have high-speed internet access. There are Internet cafes everywhere that charge 50 cents to 75 cents per hour. And many big ISPs have franchisees everywhere in cities - that look neat, are hi-fi with flat-panel LCD monitors and stuff and are very fast.

:cool: Manipal
Manipal's website is <a href="http://www.manipal.edu" target="_blank">http://www.manipal.edu</a> - I've never really explored the site. Hope it helps.

:cool: SRMC
This is another great medical school in Madras, India - their website is <a href="http://www.srmc.edu/" target="_blank">http://www.srmc.edu/</a> - it's worth a few mouse clicks. It's a private school and accepts foreigners. They have some kind of alliance with Harvard.

But I dont know how expensive they are (I went to a government med school and paid $100 per year) and if it's worth it. It's a call you have to make.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Dont Shoot Me, I'm Hindu

Pakistan SUCKS for med-school. I know a couple of girls that went there, and they had NO life, because its so oppressive there.
I mean, pakistan is a SERIOUS 3rd World country...India is like the USA, compared to them...
•••••:cool: Medschools in Pakistan
Well, I'm born Hindu too, but I consider myself a reasonable person more than anything else. As an Indian, I cannot be expected be a Pakistan lover, but I dont like the above person's comment. I dont know anything about Pakistani medschools to comment about them. And I dont care enough to comment about the social life and human rights in Pakistan. I just dont want to talk about it, and I would like to add it's not polite or sensible to bring out personal/national vendetta in a public and professional forum. In fact, I had a pakistani student in my medschool class who was a very nice guy, and I didn't find anything different about him. He was a student and a doctor-to-be more than anything else. To me, it matters more about who you are rather than where you are from.

•••quote:•••
Originally posted by lestat
•Oh Please! You'll definitely experience racism in India. I can assert that thru personal experience. Many times people in one state have sickening bias against people of other states (eg. against Punjabi Sikhs, Muslims, etc.). How can foreigners be left out of it?
BUT, as Sita said above, there is racism EVERYWHERE!
•••••:cool: Racism in India
Some of my best friends from medschool are muslims (though they were Indian), and we used to go to each other's houses for religious festivals, weddings, etc. And there are several instances where Hindus go to certain mosques and Muslims go to certain temples - there are some urban legends behind why this happens. My grandma took me to a mosque for some prayers when I fell ill when I was some 3 years old. There are similar instances with churches too.

Having said this, there are some caste and religious violences in India, but some screwed-up politicians and foreign forces (there are many religious affiliated political parties - hindu, muslim, upper caste, lower caste, etc) are always behind this. The people otherwise dont care about this. And they are not bold and perverted enough to kill other people unless they have some politicians and their underworld accomplices to give them weapons and brainwash them to kill their fellow people. Think about Hitler!

But I cant think of an incident where there have been isolated hate crimes against muslims, christians or foreigners or people of other castes by Indian civilians, except in times of rare large scale politically motivated crimes. Chances of getting assaulted this way are negligible compared to getting involved in a road accident. Consider that India got freedom mostly due to decades long struggle headed by Gandhi who was Hindu and he was assassinated by a screwed-up Hindu man, because of his kindness towards muslims. It seems funny to me, in a way.

I'll do some research on the crime rate in India and come up with the figures soon, but rest assured, it's very low and hate crimes are almost non-existent.

I'll be happy to answer questions about Indian med schools and India in general and you can expect me to post honestly what I think about these. Ofcourse, your mileage may vary, and I'm open to different opinions and discussions on this.

BTW, is there an SDN award for the longest post?

Cheers,
Wing.

Very interesting thread. Personally I don't think it would be much fun being in India or Pakistan.

And hosskp1, you are a redneck. Go sit in the back of your pickup, scratch your butt and chant "U-S-A, U-S-A" somewhere.

Hello The wing thing
What you said is exactly what I wanted to say. Amazing---

I just want to say that I went to a govt med school in India and being a girl I had to pay very nominal tution as they encourage girls for higher education. Hold your breath to read how much did I pay. 500 RUPEES A YEAR!!!!!!!!!!
1 DOLLAR is equivalent to 48 rupees now a days !!!!Just imagine.

And I am sure I will be in a residency program as any other average US grad.May be better who knows--- [ no offense please]

So what I mean to say is definitely it is worth going to a private school in India and get some really good medical education there. I am sure you will enjoy it.

What Thewingthing said about friends in India is 100% true. Friends will die for friends there. If you get into trouble they are always there to help you. Sounds like 'only in books stuff '. But its a norm in India. But you need to be equally dedicated too. It sure is very difficult to understand the 'freindship' issue if you are born and brought up here. You need to be there to understand it.

No doubt education is of very high standard in some really good private medical schools. But you will notice a difference in the professor-student relationship. There is a big gap. The professors are 'GURU' So a lot of respect and discipline. Most of them are very reserved and strictly professional. And you can not eat or drink while the class is going on. ( At least it was like this in my school) :mad:

Lots and lot of clinical experience and as the wing thing said more emphasis is laid on clinical diagnosis rather then ordering expensive tests for the reaseons he named veryt well.

So this all said, certainly one should take the opportunity to go to medical schools in India and explore this wonderful country!!.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by kamya:
•Hello The wing thing...

... Hold your breath to read how much did I pay. 500 RUPEES A YEAR!!!!!!!!!!
1 DOLLAR is equivalent to 48 rupees now a days !!!!Just imagine.

...And you can not eat or drink while the class is going on. ( At least it was like this in my school) :mad:

•••••Thanks Kamya. That's nice to know.

Hmm, maybe in Madya Pradesh (learnt that from your profile). But in tamilnadu, there are no special concession in tuition for girls. You paid $ 10 per year? It's half of what I paid for my kindergarten - about Rs. 1000 per year in 1980. I never imagined it could be this way in some part of the country. Because over here, there were almost an equal number of boys and girls in all medschools I know of. Well, I appreciate the MP Govt's efforts.

Been to bhopal once, when I was 15 - I was in boy scouts and went there for an asia-pacific Jamboree for a week. Visited quite some places in Bhopal and Sanchi. It was fun.

Not in my medschool too. You cant eat or drink inside class, cant even chew gum. But over here in the US, I do all these things I was supposed not to do back in India. :p

Oh yeah, there were few mistakes in my prevoius post. I posted 4 reasons for more emphasis on clinical skills in India - and I wrote "Here are the 2 reasons..." I initially thought of 2 reasons, and I made it 4 as I typed. :D

Also, my college hospital has the best plastic surgery and hand rehabilitation facility in India, and one of the best in asia. I mistyped that. It's better than any private hospital too.

Here are some figures about the crime rate that I promised:
National Crime Records Bureau - Crime statistics, 1999: <a href="http://ncrb.nic.in/Division6.htm" target="_blank">http://ncrb.nic.in/Division6.htm</a>

This is a government site. There is a comment by an independant news magazine (written by the ex-CBI chief. CBI is like FBI in India). It's over here: <a href="http://www.flonnet.com/fl1814/18141030.htm" target="_blank">http://www.flonnet.com/fl1814/18141030.htm</a>

Note that there are no separate category for hate crimes, because they are very rare. They might account for a very small fraction of what is classified as Riots, and a negligible fraction in other categories.

Cheers,
Wing.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hi,
I'd like any information anyone can give on the Kamineni Institute in Hyderabad. Cuz that's where i'm going for medschool. I was raised in the US... so i'm sure it's gonna be hard for me to adjust... so i just wanted to know what to expect... like what the dorms are like, what the food is like, what the curfews or "lights out" time period is like. how frequent the exams are, how often are classes?

I'd also like to know where i can get information on where in the US i can do my 5th year internship or "house residency" (as it's called in india). I would prefer to do something in California, since that is where I am originally from, but any metropolitan area is fine by me.

Thanks.

Hi! I'm new to SDN and i was wondering if anyone else out there(Canadian/American citizens...NRI's) are planning to go to SRMC in India this year?? August 2002? If so, let me know...most prob. i'll be heading down this year as well.

For NRI students/graduates of SRMC:
1) What can i expect in my first year??
2) How are the first year courses (Anat. physiology, biochem.??)? Which one did u find to be the hardest?
3) How long is one FULL school year?? August till when? I'm guessing it's end of June, but not sure.
Anything else u guys can let me know of your experience at SRMC will be greatly appreciated!

thanks a lot,

Members don't see this ad :)
hallo...
med schools in india..no doubt they have the best doctors and the best experinenced tutors, but for a foreign student fee's comes first. It's too expensive.

NOTE to member: "Don't shoot me I'm Hindu" Just saw this thread, and yes I am Pakistani American, and a Muslim. And the way I see it, and no offense, India probably has good medical programs in certain places...just like I know Pakistan does.....this isn't a competition, just an observation...personally, I would not like to go to India for Medical school, I prefer not to be burned alive.....okay maybe that was offensive, but about 60 Hindus and 500-600 Muslims have been victim to this, and for a democracy that doesn't sit well.....India is not America! Otherwise, there would not be a whole "people" called the untouchables that people do not go near, and a caste system that oppresses people in an unbelievable and unparalleled fashion, In America Cattle don't roam the streets doing anything and everything, the Water is not full of harmful bacteria and viruses, and rats and snakes are not worshipped, etc., etc., etc.,...........the toilet problem, whoever pointed that out, kuddos on that....lol.............Point? Yeah Pakistan has probs, and if u want u can list them if ur bored....but so Does India......and truth be told, from a Foreigner's perspective, they wouldn't be able to tell you where India ends, and Pakistan begins.............Just concentrate on Medicine Here!!!!!!!!!

i think u are terribly prejudiced against india due to ur pakistani origin. india has its problems bcos there are so many different kinds of people living there. at least india decided to stand up and face the challenge. pakistan on the other hand did not do that and just got all the muslims from india and formed a new country. india is always delicately trying to maintain a balace between all the different cultures that exist there. and unfortunately countries like pakistan have always tried to hamper india from doing that. they have been trying to split kashmir from india just on the basis of religion. it will be difficult to find any other country in the world which with so little resources is still able to let so many different cultures coexist. afghanistan has people from different ethnicities and just see the terrible condition the country is in now. so my message to the pakistani american who posted the above message is 'back off' india is a secular country( ask ur pakistani friends if they know what secularism is) india is not a country where religious fanatics roam loose. india is a country where people have religious freedom( does pakistan tolerate any religion other than islam). india has had very few black marks in her history and the incidents in gujarat are one of them(which u tried to blow out of proportion). i am surprised that in spite of being an american u still retain the jealusy that every pakistani has towards india. pakistanis need to hate india to carry on with their lives while most indians couldnt care less.
also pakistan doesnt even have a democratic government , so on what basis do you pass comments on the state of indias democracy.
as for your comments about the state of the roads , water etc in india , these are problems that every developing country faces. but guess what india is standing up to the challenge and the day is not far when india becomes a developed country. as for pakistan they still havent started believing that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.so my dear friend if u say that there is no difference between india and pakistan then it just shows your ignorance.of course india is yet to develop a lot before it can start comparing itself with countries like usa but at least there is a hope that one day it will. pakistan on the other hand can only give credit to itself for not having fallen down to the state that afghanistan is in now.

[QUOTQUOTE] [/QUIndia is not America! Otherwise, there would not be a whole "people" called the untouchables that people do not go near, and a caste system that oppresses people in an unbelievable and unparalleled fashion, In America Cattle don't roam the streets doing anything and everything, the Water is not full of harmful bacteria and viruses, and rats and snakes are not worshipped, etc., etc., etc.,OTE] E] [/QUOTE]

Well I never wanted to talk nor I will do, against pakistan because everyone knows the fact and also realizing that this is a medical students discussion forum----

Only thing I have to say that whenever any person (specially from pakistan) has to talk about India, they start talking about cattles roaming on the streets and people worshiping them---
Its very strange because myself being a hindu, never 'literally' worshipped any cow--- nor several of my other hindu colleagues--- Of course I never hit them or thought about eating beef because its against my religion. But this thing never hindered me from being a good medical student nor did the cattles roaming on streets. I attended all the lectures in a nice reasonably good lecture halls and did very good in medical school without worrying about the cattles out in streets. And I paid , as I have stated in my earliesr post, Rs 500 tution per year( = to $10, being a girl as girl's are encouraged to go to higher education)
and I am here now and soon will be starting my residency.

So you see nothing in the whole world can stop you getting good medical education in India which is also inexpensive.

I am not saying that everybody should go to India and do the medical school there because, of course it will be difficult for any one who goes there from a country like US. Not so clean bathrooms, electricity problems, very strict professors and a totally different learning environment, but if someone is interested to save money, get quality education, focuses on just studing for 5 years without worring about who is worshipping who or where the cattles are, India is the best place.

And about untouchables, its only a history or exist in inner villages, otherwise Indians have such big hearts, specially for guests in their country, that they can even die for you if you you really are good friends of them----

Hey if I'm the one that is prejudice and u all have the open minds, then how come u didn't attack "Don't shoot me I'm a Hindu." Afterall, he attacked Pakistan out of the blue without any reason, In fact his post had to be edited by the forum supervisor b/c of its' harsh language, mine did not.....maybe u should have written to him before writng to me......I do have a question though, A Mosque stood in India, u may have heard of it, called the Babri Masjid, Hindus razed it 1993, and now the Gov't is backing building a Hindu Temple on it? hahahha, seems to me in a democracy, u would re-build the Mosque or at worst not do anything on that land, by the way the Mosque had been there since the 16th century. Regardless, I'm an American (citizen of the U.S.) so attack me as an American, not a Pakistani.....I just felt an obligation to apply an eye for an eye at "Don't shoot me I'm Hindu".....see u my peaceful loving Hindu, Secular Indian Natives. I won't be coming back to the Intn'l Forum, it just seems the foreigners, especially from India (and u personally shouldn't be offended right, since its' secular, I'm taking a swipe at Hindus, Christians, and Muslim) gripe too much, stop feeling sorry for urselves and stop developing nuclear weapons at the expense of thousands of starving civilians.....India is a paper Democracy, and it doesn't have a billion plus people b/c it's better than America, hahhaha (250 Million) (it's just u can't control anything there, the education system is a sham, and people keep on reproducing without any finances, and ur PM sits in His palace getting fatter by the day)....take care my good friends......

•••quote:•••Orginally posted by H-townComp:
yes I am Pakistani American, •••• •••quote:•••Orginally posted by H-townComp:
I'm an American (citizen of the U.S.) so attack me as an American, not a Pakistani ••••Make up your mind , will ya.

Okay, I was still online when u posted that brainless comment above.....So I will not be back after this post, believe me, we'll both be happy that way..........As for u genius, to be an American-Pakistani means I can be a Pakistani and then gain U.S. Citizenship therafter, in fact that is what it precisely means.......That is why u have Israeli-Americans, Indian-American, Pakistani-Americans, etc, etc., so before u post and "think" ur making a good sarcastic joke, take a long hard look at urself and ur intellect, and save urself from the embarassment and down-right stupidity next time around. Goodbye, my evil "genius".....and that is sarcasm, i thought I might save u a few hours of pain-staking thought as u might dare try to figure that out on ur own.

•••quote:••• Originally posted by H-townComp:
I'm an American (citizen of the U.S.) so attack me as an American, not a Pakistani... •••• •••quote:•••Originally posted by H-townComp:
•I can be a Pakistani .•••••Does it Ring a bell ?
So have u made up your mind, yet .
HA !

First of all , I didn't read the post "Don't shoot me I'm a Hindu." that u r talking about. In fact I searched for that post but I couldn't find it. So to quote your own words it seemed to me that u were attacking India &#8216;out of the blue without any reason'. Another thing is that the replies to ur post are not intended for you. U are probably so prejudiced against India that I don't think anyone will be able to convince you. These replies are for those people who accidentally read your post and may get a false opinion about India. As for the mosque question it is such a difficult question to answer that I don't think I should even try to answer it. I would just say that the destruction of the mosque is one of the few black marks on the history of India. Also it seems really surprising that if u are an American of Pakistani origin , u should be so interested in what happens in India, probably like I said u are a person who needs to hate India to survive. As for your comments about the nuclear weapons production and poverty, they are really so much more suited to your country of origin ie. Pakistan. And though your adjectives for the state of Indian democracy are rather harsh, at least it is a democracy. I think India is on its way to become a successful democracy. After all "rome wasn't built in a day". India was ravaged and looted for 200 years and now within 50 years of its independence it has come a long distance. Cant say the same about the other countries which got their independence with India. Anyway this Pakistani American did give us one good news. Hes not coming back!!

[then how come u didn't attack "Don't shoot me I'm a Hindu." Afterall, he attacked Pakistan out of the blue without any reason, In fact his post had to be edited by the forum supervisor b/c of its' harsh language, mine did not.....maybe u should have written to him before writng to me.....] [/QUOTE]

Hey H-TOWNCOMP
I am sure you will come back to check the replies.

read the post after "Don't shoot me I'm a Hindu." by rsk77

He/she is an Indian and has objected to the post.

And please don't bring the sensitive issues like BABRI---in this med students forum--

God !!!these people don't let others to live peacefully no matter in what part of the world they are.

hey h town comp i just went back and checked up all the messages individually and found the thread you were talking about. i must say i agree with you that message must have been offensive in the original form(luckily i didnt get to read it). that is not how the majority of indians are though.

H-townComp
Have you been drinking too much lately ?It goes without saying that your post is totally biased . All you want is to instigate Indians on this forum .
NO one here has ever justified the demolition of Babri masjid...May be you should look around & read some of the other threads before you go spouting off at your mouth.
You want us to attack you as an American & not as a pakistani ...that's interesting to note... Looks like someone is really ashamed of their backgound here. Hiding behind a cover are we ?

No one is ashamed of being a Pakistani. In fact, we are insanely proud.

Anyway, I agree this is an International Medical Student Forum, so I'll refrain from debating on who's the "badder" party. (It takes 2 hands to clap, remember :) )

what is india like for bds

Folks,

I just started to visit this forum.This is a great site.

There are so many Americans and Non-Americans looking for a med school to pursue their dreams.I just want to bring to your attention about the oppurtunity existing in India for your Med school dreams.

I read messages about med schools in Carribean,Israel,Australia,Ireland etc in some messages.

Have you ever thought about going to India for med school?
Medical education is cheaper than any of the above countries.
Most of the Indians either speak or understand English.
Education standard is equal to any International standard.Indian MDs pass USMLE in greated percentage than any other nationalities.
India is a warm and beautiful country.It is a developed country in the underdeveloped continent.
You see more clinical cases and get the all the practical training more than even US.
Indian teachers are dedicated and devoted.

There are many private med schools in India which are so modern and sophisticated.You will not believe unless you experience it.
There is more value for less dollars.
Many clever Indian Americans who could go to med school in US still prefer to go to India.

I have seen and been to those Irish med schools which are mentioned in this forum.
I can bet that some Indian med schools are more than equal to those med schools where you spend those thousands of dollars for nothing.

Explore the med schools in India.It's worth it!!!!

PS:I am not an agent for any med school.I just want to open your eyes in other directions.

India's per capita GDP is around $700. It is most certainly not a developed country, and is quite far from it (I am not disparaging the country, just addressing your comment).

Manipal has a sister school in the Caribbean. I am sure a white American person will be treated good in India or any Asian country, it will be different for a black person. Asians in general are known to kiss up to whites.

All you people in this thread are crazy -- if all you want is to become a doctor, make your upper middle-class salary, and live in America, then go to medical school in America. You'll have an easier time getting into the medical profession and you will get a better medical education hands down.

India's per capita GDP is around $700. It is most certainly not a developed country, and is quite far from it (I am not disparaging the country, just addressing your comment).

dude you replied to a 7 year old post

A real peculiar suggestion, but suitable for those with Indian, Nepali, Mauritian, Bhutanese Citizenship and either CBSE, ISC, IB, Cambridge or any other school leaving exam. Has anyone thought of going to AFMC? The education isn't too bad, and you can quit joining the Indian Armed Forces by shelling out Rs 15,00,000 (equals USD 40,000). You get the works including grub, books etc. And Pune is a great place to hang out.

Kasturba Medical School near Banglore and Sri Ramachandra at Madras are both state of the art medical schools in India.They provide excellent medical curriculum and training.They are affliated to some American medical schools.American med students at these schools even come to US for some rotations.I am not sure about tuition fees.They cannot be equal to European or carribean schools exorbitant fees.Moreover,cost of living is cheaper in India.

Indian medical schools are divided into Government medical schools and Private medical schools run by some educational bodies.I think all these private medical school admit NRI and foriegners.I would not say all private medical schools are of same standard.

JJM medical school at Davangere near Banglore also admits overseas grads.I would post further info if possible.
I am considering JJM in Davangere for med school. DO you go there? Also could you clarify how life studying and living for a nri is there? I heard that it is a very small town. I have grown up in big cities all of my life and i would like to know if adjusting there is easy or difficult?

Hi! I am an Indian raised in America. My parents have done everything to raise me in the Indian tradition. However, I like to view myself as an American because thats how I feel. May be I am an ABCD.

About India...I have been to India several times and as an American going to India these are the major problems I find everytime I visit :

1. BATHROOMS: I know none of you might think of this while applying to medical school in India but the bathrooms in India are AWEFUL!! I try to hold my bowel for as long as I can ( which is about a week) untill my mom tells everybody that I haven't used the bathroom to force me to use the toilet!! Yup! It is that bad for me. My uncle just bought a beautiful house last summer. I mean it looked absolutely gorgeous like a Palace...UNTILL I asked them where the bathroom was!! Even my relatives had aweful bathrooms! I am from the North ( Delhi ) and the electricity and water supply there is still not good. There are times of the day when there is no water and that means you can't flush the toilet which brings out all the smell etc. Bathrooms are my number one problem everytime I go to India. Also, very few of them use bathroom tissue paper in them too as water is used for *all* the bathroom purposes. When the water supply is on ( usually during early morning hours) the ladies of the house fill huge buckets of water and save them for use for the day .

2. Yes it is HOT!! Hot like you have never seen. India is situated at the equator and you are going to sweat like crazy! And no fan or AC is going to cool you because the electricity is often shut off from time to time during the day...those hours were especially hard for me pass wile sweating helplessly while controlling my bowel!! Also, as an ABCD girl I had sworn that I will wear Jeans every single day in India but I was forced ( by the heat) to wear the Salwaar Kameez which is the Cultural dress because I just felt comfortable wearing it there...You will SWEAT in Jeans too over there!!

3. Social life--As an American, I cannot live without discos,clubs and bars!! I am sorry...but I love to dance and get drunk and to just chill-out for a while. You will not find any disco places in India. My cousin told me that there were two clubs in Delhi that he knew but I was told that I should not go there because girls from "good" families shouldn't party at clubs. We should help out in the kitchen and be with family!...I found this explanation quite sick!! I wish India could modernise.

4. Culture: India has a culture. In America people do what they want freely but Indians don't live their life anyway they want. They follow a strict culture. Thats just the way it is.

5. Racism..: As an Indian , I also get stared at by people everytime I go to India. So, I don't think that they only stare at white people. Its just that they might find you as somebody that they don't usually see anywhere around and , so, they stare. Don't entertain their stares. Just walk your way and be careful...A girl shouldn't go alone on the streets of India--no matter if she is white or Indian.

Anyway...these were the negative points that I didn't like about my wonderful country. However, the education in India is EXCELLENT!! I am not kidding about this!! I have personal friends and relatives who did medical school there and they know their stuff inside out. They are now Chiefs, Program directors and Attendings in their practices in USA. I myself am a second year med student in the North East. I would never go to India but my second year at med school is not going so well now. I am actually considering med school in India. Plus its cheaper! I have personal connections that can get me a US residency when I get back. If you are going to a foriegn country I would suggest that you get connections in the US to help you when you get back here...because I know a ton of Indian and foriegn docs who have passed the USMLEs but they are still sitting around waiting for residencies. Otherwise...you will only be wasting time and energy at a medical school in a foriegn country. Just do your research before you go. But, yes, Indian med schools produce quality doctors and I have personally seen this. Also, they don't rush through tough courses like Anatomy in three months etc like US med schools do...You will get to do Anatomy and Physiology courses for at least a whole year...you actually learn the stuff!! As for me...I know I passed Physiology in 3 months here in the US but I cant remember anything!! My uncle tells me that he studied Anatomy from "Grays Anatomy" when he was there!! That surprised me!! I can't imagine hoow I am going to live in India for 5 years but my second year grades are really suffering! I guess its time for me to go back to that place called "my country"!! If any of you have any more suggestions for me let me know..

You remind exactly of my self. I am debating on going to med school in India. I also have the same feelings abt the problems and i face the exact same problems. my question is how well were you able to adapt to the changes in India. Do you feel that you have managed to accept life there or do you always have the feeling that I shouldn't be here?

k... I have no idea how it is to come to india from a females perspective so I will not comment on that... however... I will offer a few corrections to the above post and the content quoted...

1)Bathrooms.... bathrooms are only filthy if you stay in a hostel... and even then if its a private hostel they are pretty good... western style bathrooms... I reccomend staying in your own flat if you are an NRI as we require our privacy and space and if you have ur own place you can do whatever you want.. ie call people over party drink bla bla bla... but the point is if you have ur own place you will keep ur bathroom clean and u can find many places with western style bathrooms... all the malls and restaurants have western bathrooms... IN bangalore at least... and I think all over india these days! look at how old the original post was... times have changed.. Next coming to toilet paper... toilet paper is a commonly sold commodity... you can get it anywhere... if you wish to use tp... go buy some and use it... there is no need to complain about having to use water... sheesh... just because some people use water, doesnt mean you have to...

2) weather: Yes india is hot.... but IN bangalore it is a balmy breazy weather reminiscent of LA. I am not joking... the weather in Bangalore is really nice... one of the major things that mad eme choose to come here to do medicince as opposed to punjab or manipal. Electricity goes out from time to time but rarely does it happen for long in blr... maybe an hour or 2... and it usually happens no more than 2 to 3 times a week... not bad at all... u can get pwer back ups or generators to avoid this inconvenience too....

3) culturally i cant comment on the outlets for women to express themselves in india... I will say though that since i came to bangalore... which was in 2003 I have been partying with female colleagues in clubs discs and pubs... and there is no problem for women to go to clubs here... in fact men have the problem as stag entry is really difficult... many of my lady friends go out here alone and they are fine and happy... there are plenty of clubs, restaurants, and malls as well as theaters... at least in Bangalore... this does not detract from the adjustment nor should you expect it to be just like home... it will dissapoint you... but there are outlets!... for men and women alike!.

racism: true NRI's are discriminated against... both in college and out... but this isnt because you are American or a girl... its because in college teachers think you are a slacker that came to india to party... so if you are studious and work hard that image will not last... and outside you dont know how to carry yourself so auto drivers and vendors will charge u extra... for your ignorance... all this will pass as you get accustomed to living here... as for walking alone at night... I think its safe for girls to go anywhere... we have plenty of female workers at call centers in Bangalore and they all are fine coming home at wee hours of the morning... but it is necessary to be careful and dont be stupid about things... if you are going somehwere let people know and if you go to a club go with other people.... ya know.. just common sense stuff....

Indian is very different from America... and it will be a big change that NRI students must get accustomed too... but its not tht bad... its bad... but not sooo bad...

My recomendation to any people looking to come to india for med school is to first research the school and go there and check it out and stay there for some time to see if then can adjust... check out my other posts and the thread to nris considering india... if you have any questions or comments you can pm me... btw I go to Kempegowda Institute of Medical sciences( KIMS) in Bangalore... currently a final year student...

k... I have no idea how it is to come to india from a females perspective so I will not comment on that... however... I will offer a few corrections to the above post and the content quoted...

1)Bathrooms.... bathrooms are only filthy if you stay in a hostel... and even then if its a private hostel they are pretty good... western style bathrooms... I reccomend staying in your own flat if you are an NRI as we require our privacy and space and if you have ur own place you can do whatever you want.. ie call people over party drink bla bla bla... but the point is if you have ur own place you will keep ur bathroom clean and u can find many places with western style bathrooms... all the malls and restaurants have western bathrooms... IN bangalore at least... and I think all over india these days! look at how old the original post was... times have changed.. Next coming to toilet paper... toilet paper is a commonly sold commodity... you can get it anywhere... if you wish to use tp... go buy some and use it... there is no need to complain about having to use water... sheesh... just because some people use water, doesnt mean you have to...

2) weather: Yes india is hot.... but IN bangalore it is a balmy breazy weather reminiscent of LA. I am not joking... the weather in Bangalore is really nice... one of the major things that mad eme choose to come here to do medicince as opposed to punjab or manipal. Electricity goes out from time to time but rarely does it happen for long in blr... maybe an hour or 2... and it usually happens no more than 2 to 3 times a week... not bad at all... u can get pwer back ups or generators to avoid this inconvenience too....

3) culturally i cant comment on the outlets for women to express themselves in india... I will say though that since i came to bangalore... which was in 2003 I have been partying with female colleagues in clubs discs and pubs... and there is no problem for women to go to clubs here... in fact men have the problem as stag entry is really difficult... many of my lady friends go out here alone and they are fine and happy... there are plenty of clubs, restaurants, and malls as well as theaters... at least in Bangalore... this does not detract from the adjustment nor should you expect it to be just like home... it will dissapoint you... but there are outlets!... for men and women alike!.

racism: true NRI's are discriminated against... both in college and out... but this isnt because you are American or a girl... its because in college teachers think you are a slacker that came to india to party... so if you are studious and work hard that image will not last... and outside you dont know how to carry yourself so auto drivers and vendors will charge u extra... for your ignorance... all this will pass as you get accustomed to living here... as for walking alone at night... I think its safe for girls to go anywhere... we have plenty of female workers at call centers in Bangalore and they all are fine coming home at wee hours of the morning... but it is necessary to be careful and dont be stupid about things... if you are going somehwere let people know and if you go to a club go with other people.... ya know.. just common sense stuff....

Indian is very different from America... and it will be a big change that NRI students must get accustomed too... but its not tht bad... its bad... but not sooo bad...

My recomendation to any people looking to come to india for med school is to first research the school and go there and check it out and stay there for some time to see if then can adjust... check out my other posts and the thread to nris considering india... if you have any questions or comments you can pm me... btw I go to Kempegowda Institute of Medical sciences( KIMS) in Bangalore... currently a final year student...
Well thank You for responding. I have heard a lot about kims and other schools in BAngalore, but my parnets are dead against me going to bangalore b/c there are too many distractions and stuff. We (I mean they really) are looking into med schools in karnataka especially in davengere , gulburgha and belgaum. I have heard that all of those places are a lot smaller than even the smallest US suburb. I am a little nervous about that, but do you think that what you said would differ if it was in a small town setting? Also since you seem to know the ropes of med school in India are there any good med schools in mysore and if there are could you please name them. Also how important is it to speak the local languages? MY big question is I have been looking into the usmle, so as a final year student which stages have you taken or plan to take b/c if i read right you can choose if you want to take step 1 or skip to step 2cs? From your previous threads I read , I believe you said something about studing there being memorization? What does actually mean ? Does it mean that you just read the text book and memorize word for word or can you put in your own interpretations? Sorry for the bombardment of ? but please reply. Thanks!

I would strongly discourage going to med school in a small town vs. a big city.... big citys have a broader patient base alond with better hospitals in terms of specialists and facilities. This translates into a larger variety of cases you get to see in bigger city hospitals. Hospitals in rural areas will refer their more complex cases or High risk cases to larger hospitals in the cities so if you go to college in the city you can get better exposure to these cases too and not just your normal every day run of the mill... Furthermore no qualified doctor will choose to go to a rural area by choice... put yourself in their place... if you are a qualified doctor you will want to practice in the city where there is a life... not in some village... this potentially means that the staff and thus your teachers will be better at what they do in the city...

Coming to the social problems... all the social problems that I mentioned and that were mentioned in the post i tried to ellaborate on earlier in this thread are amplified when you go to a smaller rural area... all of a sudden there are problems with getting western bathrooms outside of your home... there is nothing to do besides study.... the food is not as varied.... you wont be able to find subways and mc donalds out in the farms ya know... only in the city will you feel less of a culture shock and in my opinion survive.... I would say that you should not even consider colleges in the rurals... and to convince your parents you should prolly visit this forum with them and show them the many posts advising against it.... Students... especially ones from the states need entertainment to be successful here... we need positive outlets to relieve stress and then study hard... if these positve outlets aren't available I have seen plenty of people.. some my friends... turn to negative outlets like drugs and such to "escape." this is not what you want.

Mysore... dunno too much about it... but I heard JSS is pretty good academically... at the risk of sounding biased, i will say you should come to Bangalore... it has good schools.. the weather is nice... and you can really thrive here... but yeah...

local language is realllly important.... most of your patients will be illiterate... to get a proper history from them you need to be able to converse with them... howerver... you have 2 years to pick up the language if you dont know it... and if you still havent learned it... local students will help you out as much as possible... but come exams you will definitely fair better if you know the language... even though they will give you translators... conversing with your patient one on one is better... translators take too long... and ur final year exams are timed. but yeah if you dont know the language dont sweat it... necessity is the biggest incentive to learn something... so when you get here you pick up what you need to survive pretty quickly... language also helps you with the vendors and the auto ricksaw people too... you get made a fool less... people cant take advantage of you that much.... also helps remove the stigma of being an NRI in class... both with the students and the teachers... so yeah

coming to the USMLE's... havent taken any yet... I honestly believe that you should finish your coursework here and then study and take it cuz in india the teaching is theory based and the USMLE is clinically based so to do well we really need to know medicince( final year subject) well... it helps tie in all the theory of 1st and second year... so yeah... but thats my opinion... people have been advocating taking it after 2nd year to save time... that also has its pros... if you do well... i just dont think we are ready after 2nd year so... its up to you... studying here is a lot of memorization and you really do need to remember the headings in the textbook and write your answers in that same format under those headings... but not word for word per say.... I dont understand what you mean by "interpretations" but ummm yeah you need to write under those same headings because those headings are what the teachers will be looking for when they grade ur papr... its all they have time to see... they spend like 5 mins grading a paper... as you get to the clinical part of your education here though... you will realise that there are some pretty incredible doctors in india and they will be teaching you the old school way of diagnosing a patient... with your hands... not with fancy tests like the MRI... so you get to learn that and then when you go home you learn to diagnose with all the technology and combined you will have a very strong set of tools as a doctor... its awesome how much these doctors know... clinical teaching in india is pretty good.

umm hope that answers ur questions... if you have more... feel free...

btw... regarding the language part.... I'm a punjabi... so you can bet that I didnt know the local language when I came to Bangalore... but i did know hindi.... Hindi helped me outside of college more though but even in college there are some muslim patients so they speak urdu which is pretty much the same as hindi... but yeah... dont worry about the language part toooo much... I picked up enough to get by.... its not too hard to pick up what you need.

LOL

are some of you guys mental?
I am considering going to Lahore, Pakistan to do my med school from there, at King Edward Medical University (KEMU) which has its head branch in the UK...anyways its a highly prestigious school but its not the only one

Education in Pakistan kicks ass, its honestly wicked!
I know gazillions of people who go back to Pakistan and become doctors from there and come to North America to operate here , and these people are not only Pakistani's but I know a Bengali person, an America (as in a white guy, lol), a few actually from Canada... (loads of Canadians, seriously ) and even Indians...if they dont get accepted in India, they try their luck in Pakistan

anyways, As far as living their goes, Lahore is a wicked ass city
someone said how there is no hot water, LMAO
wtf!?!?! that is the most dumbest thing I have ever heard! of course their is hot water, LOL!
and yes its hot but depending on the season its amazing too, nice breeze and chilling and whatnot

I dunno, if it was up to me, i would DEF. go back to PK to do my studies!!

This is just an observation, but it seems to me that people who want to go to back to India to do their medical education and then come back to the US just want to beat the system...

well yeah^^ they are
because in Pakistan/India you just need to complete gr.12 with all 3 sciences (Bio, chem. & Physics) and then apply to a MED. school directly...do you med. school for 4 years & then your residency...then you can come back to North America and apply for the test to work in North America...

so it cuts off a lot of time! 2-3's for sure
but then they get taken up again when you have to do an equivalency test, it takes a year or two to prepare for

Hi, If I were to go to med school in India, will I still be able to get into the residency of my choice. For example, hypothetically speaking, if I had excellent USMLE scores, good research exposure and excellent grades and recs, and the others, will I be able to get into a residency program like Orthopedics, Neurosurgery, OB/GYN, or cadio thoracic surgery. I would like to know. Someone please answer this question, I am dying to know.

Hi, If I were to go to med school in India, will I still be able to get into the residency of my choice. For example, hypothetically speaking, if I had excellent USMLE scores, good research exposure and excellent grades and recs, and the others, will I be able to get into a residency program like Orthopedics, Neurosurgery, OB/GYN, or cadio thoracic surgery. I would like to know. Someone please answer this question, I am dying to know.

You could definitely get into the less competitive specialties that you mentioned like ob/gyn. Ortho and Neurosurg are VERY competitive even for US grads with excellent scores and research, so you will have a much harder time getting into those specialties. Your chances of matching into those two specialties will be very low. I don't mean to demoralize you but this is something you should know before you commit yourself to this pathway.

Most foreign grads I know stick to either primary care, OB, or general surgery and from gen surg, they can go into things like vascular/cardiac surgery as fellowships. But neuro and ortho have their own independent tracks.