Goal score on Step 1: 225 or above. 3 weeks away. where should I be right now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odissidoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! This is my first post. This forum has been very helpful to me, but I haven't been able to find a thread that specifically addressed this particular score and my personal dilemma so I'm starting this thread. I'm taking the exam on June 30 which is 19 days away!! When I took the school CBSE on May 21 (which I'm guessing is the same thing as the nbme) I scored an equivalent of a 203. This was lower than the 210 that I got on the uwsa 1 (210) 2 weeks before. I'm starting to freak out. I should have gone up not gone down. Right now I'm at 64% cum score on uworld, but have been scoring in the 60s sometimes low 70s on full timed blocks. I just feel really unsure because historically, I've always done worse on the real test for everything, sat, act, mcat than I do on practices. I'm going to take the NBME 7 tomorrow. What should I be getting on my individual blocks of uworld right now to get a 225 score.
For all the gunners here, please give me some realistic advice, I'm not looking to get a 240-250. Just need enought so I can get a good surgical residency lol. Let me know asap!! Give me some advice!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! This is my first post. This forum has been very helpful to me, but I haven't been able to find a thread that specifically addressed this particular score and my personal dilemma so I'm starting this thread. I'm taking the exam on June 30 which is 19 days away!! When I took the school CBSE on May 21 (which I'm guessing is the same thing as the nbme) I scored an equivalent of a 203. This was lower than the 210 that I got on the uwsa 1 (210) 2 weeks before. I'm starting to freak out. I should have gone up not gone down. Right now I'm at 64% cum score on uworld, but have been scoring in the 60s sometimes low 70s on full timed blocks. I just feel really unsure because historically, I've always done worse on the real test for everything, sat, act, mcat than I do on practices. I'm going to take the NBME 7 tomorrow. What should I be getting on my individual blocks of uworld right now to get a 225 score.
For all the gunners here, please give me some realistic advice, I'm not looking to get a 240-250. Just need enought so I can get a good surgical residency lol. Let me know asap!! Give me some advice!

Thanks!

Getting upper 60's - mid 70's should set you good for above 225 with possibly over 230s. UWSAs overpredict, so that explains why your score decreased when you took your schools CBSE.

Advice...understand the concepts and the details/facts will follow...

3 weeks is enough even if you were at a 203 today. just keep studying and hit your weak subjects first and hit them HARD. Try spending a few hours each day memorizing those very high-yield pages of FA that you usually push off but realize you need to memorize like drug reactions at the end of the pharm chapter, lysosomal storage diseases, or stuff that you believe you are getting questions wrong because you didnt put in the time to just memorize them. This helped me a lot and, of course, UWorld (you really dont need any other question bank).

I think you've already reached your goal. I was averaging about the same UW grades as you when I got a 228 on my NBME practice test.

If your practice test tomorrow is going to be the first one you've taken since that May 21 test, then I assume you've been studying a lot since then, and I think it'll show and you'll have to set a new goal accordingly =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to everyone that replied. I scored a 219 on Nbme 7. I'm not sure how to feel about this. On one hand, I'm slightly relieved because I was reading horror stories about the curves for the nbme's, but also, i'm not sure if this is really that great of a score. I have 18-19 days left. What do you think are my chances of making it a 225? I already did DIT, and i have 25% of the uworld left. I plan to take another nbme a week from now. Should I take 11 or 12? I'm also planning to do uwsa2 and free 150 later. I'll probably save those for the end. Just going over FA again. Renal was my weakest this time, and I'm not surprised. Always had trouble with that.

Also, I have another question. Is a 225 enough for a decent general surgery position that will let me specialize if I want to? I know I had written earlier that that was my goal, but if you guys don't think that is enough, then I need to gun it even more. A 230 would is actually what I'm shooting for but 225 is my minimum. Now i'm just rambling. Thanks for answering my questions!

Thanks to everyone that replied. I scored a 219 on Nbme 7. I'm not sure how to feel about this. On one hand, I'm slightly relieved because I was reading horror stories about the curves for the nbme's, but also, i'm not sure if this is really that great of a score. I have 18-19 days left. What do you think are my chances of making it a 225? I already did DIT, and i have 25% of the uworld left. I plan to take another nbme a week from now. Should I take 11 or 12? I'm also planning to do uwsa2 and free 150 later. I'll probably save those for the end. Just going over FA again. Renal was my weakest this time, and I'm not surprised. Always had trouble with that.

Also, I have another question. Is a 225 enough for a decent general surgery position that will let me specialize if I want to? I know I had written earlier that that was my goal, but if you guys don't think that is enough, then I need to gun it even more. A 230 would is actually what I'm shooting for but 225 is my minimum. Now i'm just rambling. Thanks for answering my questions!

I don't understand the point of such questions. This is such an important test for your future, so why don't you just give it EVERYTHING YOU'VE GOT? If you get a higher score then so much the better. What else would you want to do with your time now, watch TV? Gun all the way! Put the pedal to the metal, full throttle!

I don't understand the point of such questions. This is such an important test for your future, so why don't you just give it EVERYTHING YOU'VE GOT? If you get a higher score then so much the better. What else would you want to do with your time now, watch TV? Gun all the way! Put the pedal to the metal, full throttle!

:thumbup:

some people have actual obligations outside med school...
what's the problem with setting a reasonable goal and being satisfied to learn enough to reach it? what if you don't really care to memorize and study in a way that gets you a super high score, but are more concerned with learning the material well enough that you feel you are prepared to continue with your education?
:rolleyes:

some people have actual obligations outside med school...
what's the problem with setting a reasonable goal and being satisfied to learn enough to reach it? what if you don't really care to memorize and study in a way that gets you a super high score, but are more concerned with learning the material well enough that you feel you are prepared to continue with your education?
:rolleyes:

with only 2 weeks to go to scheduled test date, other obligations can't go on the back burner until test is over with? With test date known months in advance, one should organize everything else so that few weeks before test one has absolutely nothing else to do other than 16 hrs of daily study. OK, if you're a single parent and you have no other options for childcare, then you make adjustments. but even if so, there is no point in asking "should i bother to study any harder". you study absolutely as hard as you possibly can, considering anything else which you cannot put on the back burner until your test. Then your score will be whatever you get. But you don't put your eyes on a particular score, and say "i will only study hard enough to get that score". most likely you will get a lower score than you thought you were shooting for.

I'm a premed, but my girlfriend is studying for step 1 right now. She got a 219 on NBME3 four weeks ago and got a 255 on NBME7 the day before yesterday. Might want to be at least 10-20 points within your range.