going abroad vs. research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaxasp

I'm not an ambi-turner
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering how big of a negative it would be on my application if I go abroad as opposed to stay at school for the semester to do research/volunteer. I havea 3.82c, 3.98s, 39T and if I don't go abroad I will have 1 year of research, 1+ volunteer (applying class of 2015).

I honestly am pretty set on going to a good research school, but I've also heard that going abroad is one of the best experiences out there. Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

if your going for md/phd then maybe the research is your best option. but med schools like well-rounded students. A lot of applicants do research, but not a lot go abroad. Thus it is a unique thing to talk about. Just my 2 cents

Hey guys, I was wondering how big of a negative it would be on my application if I go abroad as opposed to stay at school for the semester to do research/volunteer. I havea 3.82c, 3.98s, 39T and if I don't go abroad I will have 1 year of research, 1+ volunteer (applying class of 2015).

I honestly am pretty set on going to a good research school, but I've also heard that going abroad is one of the best experiences out there. Advice?

Do yourself a favor and go abroad!! If you end up in a MD/PhD program, you'll have the rest of your life being stuck in the lab.(okay, slight exaggeration, but certainly the next decade or so). When are you gonna be young and have the chance to travel again?? Do it!!!

I myself spent almost four months in South America...really one of the best decisions I ever made. It will really shift your perspective too. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It might be possible to get the best of both worlds: go abroad and do research at the same time. I'm not sure where you're planning on going, but many of the large Australian universities have tons of research in many different fields. I would talk to your current faculty and see if any professors have colleagues abroad. One of my professors actually did have a colleague at the university I studied at, but he seemed uninterested and did not really have the expertise to work in his lab. I spent some of my free time volunteering instead (another great experience to have). Like others have said, you certainly have the rest of your life to do research; the opportunity to spend a few months in a different country may only come once in a lifetime. GO ABROAD!

Last edited:
If you go abroad, leave your cat at home. Cats make very poor traveling companions. If you take your cat to a tavern late at night in a foreign country, it is likely to be annoying at best, and probably will preclude you from getting lucky, with the cat carrier, the noise, and all. Bloody cat.

go abroad, not only for applications, but because it is a really good experience that opens up your world view. After spending a quarter abroad I came back and it's like everything i was learning had new perspective because i could relate the topics i was learning to different environments (in my humanities minor classes).

It also makes you realize that there is more out there than what you know. Go abroad. (But let me warn you... once you start you may never stop. True story.)

You can get the best of both worlds. I'm going to germany to do research for 1-3 months this coming summer in Germany, and I'm getting a living stipend with it!

alrite cool, thanks for the input.
i emailed the omniscient LizzyM for insight and she echoed a lot of what you guys said but also to make sure you really do something while you're abroad and not just drink the 6 months away :laugh:

If you go abroad, leave your cat at home. Cats make very poor traveling companions. If you take your cat to a tavern late at night in a foreign country, it is likely to be annoying at best, and probably will preclude you from getting lucky, with the cat carrier, the noise, and all. Bloody cat.

:laugh: lol

You can get the best of both worlds. I'm going to germany to do research for 1-3 months this coming summer in Germany, and I'm getting a living stipend with it!

That sounds awesome! Are you going through a particular program/university/company? If so, which?? (if you don't mind sharing)

Is this through your school or a program? I'd like to know more details please!

(lol, I didn't see the post above. But yes, I have the same inquiries as him/her!)

DAAD program. More schools than mine offer it, but I don't think it's too many. I'm under the impression that it's coordinated through a school, but I'm not 100%.