Going back to college for Pre-Med!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parkwaydrivefan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in business Administration a year ago. The degree hasn't proven to make me very marketable, and after much thought, I've decided I want to become a Doctor.

My concern: Going back to college, and completing the Medical School requirements, (In my case Physics, Chemistry, and O-Chem) without obtaining a second degree will leave a bad impression on me.

What do you all recommend? Knock out the Med-School requirements without getting a degree, or knock out the med-school requirements AND graduate with a second bachelor's.

Members don't see this ad.

Just complete the minimum requirements. A biology degree is no more marketable than your business degree.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If anything, a bio degree makes you less marketable. During my first interview, we went around the room and said our homestate/major. I was the only non-bio related major there.

Do not get another degree just to improve how marketable you are. As someone with a bio degree, I can assure you that the 4 years of education I received was not worth the $14/hr lab jobs I was being offered after graduation.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you considered a career-changer postbacc? You wouldn't have to get a full degree.

I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in business Administration a year ago. The degree hasn't proven to make me very marketable, and after much thought, I've decided I want to become a Doctor.
So you want to become a doctor for money?

So you want to become a doctor for money?

Money is a very small part of it. But I'm not money obsessed. Give me a decent house,a collection of books, a functional car, friends, family, and internet, and I'd be happy.

I'm doing it because I want a job thats challenging, I want to be a life-long learner, I want a skill that I can take with me anywhere I go, and I'm doing it because I want a job that is fulfilling and meaningful.

I've worked in a factory for 6 years. I've traversed several office related jobs, had discussions with HR employees, talked to salesman----the business field seems empty to me.

Money is a very small part of it. But I'm not money obsessed. Give me a decent house,a collection of books, a functional car, friends, family, and internet, and I'd be happy.

I'm doing it because I want a job thats challenging, I want to be a life-long learner, I want a skill that I can take with me anywhere I go, and I'm doing it because I want a job that is fulfilling and meaningful.
There are many jobs that are challenging, fulfilling, meaningful, and also allow you to be a life-long learner. People usually go into business in the first place for money, and the fact that you decided to pursue medicine after seeing that your degree "hasn't proved to be very marketable" is concerning. For your own sake, instead of trying to convince yourself that you want to be a doctor, why not familiarize yourself with the real world medicine first to see if it's really right for you? Otherwise you'll end up really hating your life.

Reactions: 2 users
Stormcall, are you in medical school or a doctor?

If you are, can I PM you? I have many questions.