Going back to medical school in your 30s after being a PA for awhile? Worth it or nah?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryze

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love to hear thoughts/arguments on both sides. Especially experiences from those who have went back to medical school after becoming a Physician Assistant! How did it affect your life - family life, financially, mentally, etc? Is it worth the stress?

Tell me:
1) Why I should do it?
2) Why I shouldn’t do it?

I will be reading ALL feedback! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

What field of medicine are you interested in? What field are you practicing in? And curious, why do you want to make the switch?
I am starting a hospitalist position in one week. It will involve some ER and ICU. I am interested in Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine. I want to go back mainly for knowledge and autonomy. I have the desire to teach and precept as well in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any sense in working for a year or two before deciding? You could tell yourself you’ll revisit 24 months from now and see where you stand then re: autonomy, the fit of PA vs physician in terms of your professional goals, and whether you truly need the MD/DO to practice in the way you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there any sense in working for a year or two before deciding? You could tell yourself you’ll revisit 24 months from now and see where you stand then re: autonomy, the fit of PA vs physician in terms of your professional goals, and whether you truly need the MD/DO to practice in the way you want.
Yes I am 27 years old. I plan to work for a year or two before fully committing to anything. I wanted to hear feedback from people who have gone through a similar process already.

I was an NP, now second year, 34. Feel free to PM me.

Yes I am 27 years old. I plan to work for a year or two before fully committing to anything. I wanted to hear feedback from people who have gone through a similar process already.
I'm 28. First year med student. I'll be about 32 when I'm done with med school and 36 when I'm done with residency.
For me, this is the only imaginable path.