Going back to the VA system later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coloradocutter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an intern at a VA/AMC consortium. I LOVE my internship, and surprisingly, I really love the VA. I was offered a clinical assistant faculty position that offers me the opportunity to do treatment, assessment, supervise graduate students, do research and policy work, and administration. It pays ALOT more than a VA postdoc, and is better for my family overall. I think that I would ultimately like to go back to the VA if not full time, at least part time. While I think that this faculty position is better for me, I wonder if anyone has experiences going back to the VA after internship. My sense is that it is easier to do after an internship, than without one. Just looking for some reassurance that I can go back. Thanks for any thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently an intern at a VA/AMC consortium. I LOVE my internship, and surprisingly, I really love the VA. I was offered a clinical assistant faculty position that offers me the opportunity to do treatment, assessment, supervise graduate students, do research and policy work, and administration. It pays ALOT more than a VA postdoc, and is better for my family overall. I think that I would ultimately like to go back to the VA if not full time, at least part time. While I think that this faculty position is better for me, I wonder if anyone has experiences going back to the VA after internship. My sense is that it is easier to do after an internship, than without one. Just looking for some reassurance that I can go back. Thanks for any thoughts!

You aren't going to be "locked out" of the system if you go somewhere else, especially for your first job, no. It's just easier to get in/move around when you're already in is all. And yes, having done a VA internship will likely make you more appealing than if you'd never done any VA work previously.

I don't know if I'd bank on finding part-time VA work, though. The more likely scenario is to find a full-time VA position and do something else part-time.

What's so surprising about liking the VA? AA has it right. All things being equal, you have a better shot at getting a VA job in the future over someone with 0 VA experience. On the other hand, all things being equal, someone who is still in the VA system has a better shot than you of that job. And I don't know too many part-timers in the system on the psychology end. All of the ones I have seen have been VA career people who finish out their careers doing some part-time stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is off topic from the OP's question, but I am curious – do people ever end up working for the VA even if they had no prior experience with a VA (e.g., practicum, internship)? But maybe they have worked with populations (e.g., trauma, substance abuse) that are similar to what is seen in a VA?

Ever? Well of course. By the consensus is that being in the system at some point really helps.

Ever? Well of course. By the consensus is that being in the system at some point really helps.

Yes, I would most definitely expect that those with prior VA experience have a huge advantage. I was just curious, thanks!