Going for Residency after 6 years retail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J1205

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a pharmacist working retail for the past 6 years. I actually have enjoyed my job particularly these past 3 years I have been a pharmacy manager because I have managed to build the most wonderful relationships with patients at my retail pharmacy. I became a trusted provider for them and wished more people had a positive experience in retail. With that said, I did not pursue a residency because I had to move quickly after school and supported my husband through his PH.D program then moved again 3 years later to support him through his post-doc, and now we are moving again for his academic position. Now that we will be permanent I would like to try to a new pharmacy setting such as hospital however am finding like everyone else a residency is required. I would like to be challenged and am now thinking of just going for my MPH. I am highly motivated and also have retained alot from school maybe because anytime my patients at retail had an issue I would always come home to my pharmacotherapy texts to learn or refresh my memory. I also just recall the most minute details but that is just the way I am. I read a book about applying and starting a residency however everything is geared toward students but not how I could apply as a pharmacist. Any advice would be great

J

Members don't see this ad.

Too old, too late. ...lol....

Nothing changes, just apply, probably a bit harder to get a LOR... apply

Go for it! I was in retail for 9 years (8 years as a manager), applied for residency, and matched with a great program. I thought I would be at a disadvantage compared with the new grads (too far removed from school, lacking a strong clinical foundation) but gave it a shot anyway.

It will be challenging and humbling. I was fortunate to have one of my preceptors remember me and be willing to write a LOR (it probably helped that he had worked up the pharmacy ladder and has a nice title). I applied to 8 programs and received 3 interviews. I prepared for interviews with help from the many interns who rotated through my pharmacy and studied off their notes.

One of my friends attended CSHP and helped me collect brochures from the various programs, but I'm sure it would make a better impression to go in person and introduce yourself to the programs you are most interested in. I guarantee when you tell them you've been working for a few years and want to go back, they won't forget you.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for posting, J. I am in a similar situation. I have been in retail for 6 years as well, want to switch it up, and can't find a job in any hospital in my area. I was offered a job at a hospital few years back in another state. They did not seem to be too concerned that I didn't have any hospital experience because they had quite a few pharmacists made the switch and had done very well.

I went on the ashp website recently, but the info on there still needs to be updated for 2014. I am going to try to get in touch with some of my preceptors to ask for their advice. Maybe go to midyear if there's a way to coordinate that with students from my pharmacy school.

I have read quite a few discouraging posts on here in the past about retail pharmacists don't make good residents. I am starting to think that residency will eventually become a requirement, we are just ahead of the game (kind of). I think it's a lot like when RPh becomes PharmD. We are willing to put in the work, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Actually, I need some clinical review book recommendations :luck:

Im curious as to why you would think age is a factor and why it would be to late?

Please keep me posted!! Any positive news would be most welcomed!!

Don't listen to downers - its never too late.... but it is going to be an uphill battle.

You may have to transition into the role for a residency. ie, go to hospital staff pharmacist, get involved in clinical operations, try to adjunct at a school, and during this time talk to some accp-accredited residency directors and preceptors.

anything is possible ! just a matter of how hard you will work for it! :)

Good luck and looking forward to hearing some good news!

I'll chime back in. Unless you're really limited by geography, as in you're in an area where you can't find a job in any hospital, the residency may be the only option to get your foot in the door.

I know plenty of people that transitioned out of retail by making connections and networking at cshp/ashp meetings and then getting a hospital job. No paycut required and makes more sense. They get their bcps after 3 years, nobody gives a crap that they didn't do a residency.

When interviewing for residencies, I met a current resident at a program who told me that she worked in retail for five years before residency. Interestingly enough, that same program has another resident this year who has been out of school for ten years with mostly VA experience. I'm guessing that some programs might be more receptive to applicants who are not new grads, but it's certainly possible to match.

I had 4 years of retail experience and I matched at a pretty good university program. I was able to start working part time at a hospital right before interviews, and before that I volunteered at an am. care clinic. It is an uphill battle because I spend more time studying for a topic discussion compared to a new grad, who just needs to review (That's the only disadvantage). I believe after 3 to 4 months you would have gone through most disease states and should be smooth sailing after that. If you are willing to work hard, you will be an excellent resident; so go for it.

i work in a hospital, every pharmacist I work with either worked here as an intern or did like 20 years in retail. We have maybe 1 or 2 that did a residency. Is a residency really worth it? We have techs that have been here for 30+ years and know way more than most of the new pharmacists

I worked for 2 years in hospital and retail. I matched a program at an academic medical center. It was a challenge to readjust, but I'm glad I went back to do it instead of right out of school