going from a university to a cc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetmemories

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a third year student at a university; however, i started my bio major a year late because i was undecided at first. I still have a lot of pre-pharm courses that i need to take and I really want to get into pharmacy school, but my gpa is low...2.7 and it's so hard to raise it up at a university. My uncle-in-law advised me to withdraw from the university and take courses at a community college to raise up my gpa. I heard that pharmacy school looks more at ur gpa...i don't know what to do at this moment. can somebody please give me some advice and help me out?

Members don't see this ad.

While all schools are different, I would not assume that transferring to a community college translates into easier courses. Some of the most difficult courses I've taken have been through a community college (and some of the easiest at a university).

The main reason to go to a community college is cost and (generally) student to teacher ratio.

I would check to see if your school offers academic forgiveness for classes with poor grades. I wouldn't take the course over for a poor grade, unless you feel you didn't learn as much unless you are sure you could receive a substantially higher grade (read an 'A').

sweetmemories said:
I'm currently a third year student at a university; however, i started my bio major a year late because i was undecided at first. I still have a lot of pre-pharm courses that i need to take and I really want to get into pharmacy school, but my gpa is low...2.7 and it's so hard to raise it up at a university. My uncle-in-law advised me to withdraw from the university and take courses at a community college to raise up my gpa. I heard that pharmacy school looks more at ur gpa...i don't know what to do at this moment. can somebody please give me some advice and help me out?

If you are planning on getting a degree in biology, there are limited courses that you can take at the community college level. These are very basic biology courses. The harder courses will need to be completed at a university. Also, if you already took a class at the university, then repeat it at a community college, you can't transfer it back to the university. You would have to change schools altogether.

If you are giving up on getting your degree because it's too hard for you, then pharmacy school may not be the best place for you. Evaluate your study habits and see why your GPA is low. If you want to get into pharmacy school you'll need to motivate yourself to get better grades, not look for an easier school.