Going into junior year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiiina

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm gonna be a junior and I really want to go to Robert Wood Johnson, i believe a middle tier MD school, without taking a gap year. My prereq grades aren't that good:
Chem 1 - B,
chem 2 - C.
Orgo - C's
Ap'ed out of bio.
Calc i got a D the first time, retook it in summer for an A
Biochem - A
B+ and C+ in physics.
So right now i have a rutgers gpa of about 3.3 but thats not including the fact that they average the calculus D / A for MD (the 3.3 is just replacing it like they do at Rutgers New Brunswick).

By the time I apply I will have in terms of EC's
Hospital job - 300 hours (100+ of those at RWJ's hospital)
Volunteered teaching for a high school marching band - 120 hours,
Shadowing - 50 hours
Research exp (not clinical) - 600+ hrs
If I get my GPA up past a 3.5 I'll graduate with the honors program and have written and defended a thesis, but I guess that wouldn't help much if I'm trynna not take a gap year which I'm really trynna not do.
I'm also in state, and I go to Rutgers New Brunswick which is affiliated with RWJ.

Next semester I'm taking
Genetics, Stat, Advanced Nutrition Metabolism, and Spanish
Then spring semester
Metabolism 2, a neuroscience course, a biochem course, spanish and either research for credit or another lab.
I believe I can get a 4.0 both semesters so lets just assume this as a best case scenario
I've started studying for mcats, totally willing to put in this almost a years worth of time into it. What type of score would I need to make sure I don't have to take that gap year, if that's possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi @Tiiina . You'll have more luck getting responses from people if you format your question a little better. I tried reading it and got lost because it's just a gigantic block of stuff.

Also, consider not having a picture of yourself as your profile. It's better to remain completely anonymous.

Hi @Tiiina . You'll have more luck getting responses from people if you format your question a little better. I tried reading it and got lost because it's just a gigantic block of stuff.

Also, consider not having a picture of yourself as your profile. It's better to remain completely anonymous.

Oh okay thank you sorry I'm new :p

First of all don't focus on one school. Second deal with what you have GPAwise. AMCAS averages all grades you received at all colleges, universities. So you have a <3.3 GPA currently. Don't plan to get all As because it probably won't happen. It hasn't happened up til now so with your classes getting harder it will be very tough to get all As. But try and do they very best you can. Third- although you seem to have your clinical and research ECs covered and the Marching Band is good( assuming this was done in college) you should look for some more volunteer activities, especially activities that are out of your comfort zone. Look for opportunities at homeless shelters or Habitat for Humanity. Look for activities that show your altruism, serving the underserved etc.. Finally, even though you don't want to take a Gap year you might as well get used to the idea. A quick search revealed that the mean GPA for the 2015 entering class at RWJ is 3.69 and for science it is 3.61. The mean total MCAT is 31.3. So you have your work cut out for you. Your real weak point is your GPA. Your science courses have average grades so your knowledge base might impact your MCAT. Take your time. Develop the best app possible.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Last edited: