Going into primary care from a research school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so i have a heavy decision to make. If i were to be accepted into a top med school (usnews), that was ranked for research, would i have a difficult time becoming a primary care physician? (University of cincinatti is what i am referring to) Would it be better to go to a decent medical school ranked for research or go to an unranked (lower then 50) primary care school?

Members don't see this ad.

No, shouldn't be a problem. You can get into primary care from any school (and any specialty for that matter). In fact, a higher ranked school might get you exactly the primary care residency you want (some are competitive despite what you might hear on SDN). AND you will have an extra advantage if you want to go for something more competitive (most people do change their minds). That said, not sure if University of Cincinatti would exactly be considered a mover and a shaker in the "ranked" med school world though. FYI, the "primary care" rankings are basically just a list of schools that send a lot of people into primary care residencies. Often people at school on the "research" list don't choose primary care so those schools don't make that list as often. Bottom line: it won't hurt you. Go where you want/get in. Good luck!

There's a pair of Stanford grads at this nondescript family practice residency in northeastern PA, you'll be fine going into primary care even if you go to such a researchy school.

Lehigh Valley FP residents