Going on a trip 2 weeks before MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ellabelle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
My parents have booked our family tickets for the Florida/the Caribbean for August 18-22. I'm taking the MCAT on September 7th. Should I go with them? I feel like I would thinking about the MCAT the whole time and wont be able to enjoy my time there. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
My parents have booked our family tickets for the Florida/the Caribbean for August 18-22. I'm taking the MCAT on September 7th. Should I go with them? I feel like I would thinking about the MCAT the whole time and wont be able to enjoy my time there. What should I do?

bring your stuff and study on the beach, babes dig it

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know...I originally scheduled my MCAT for the week after I went to Mexico. I ended up delaying my exam at the last minute and I was so glad I did. I was drunk the whole time I was in Cancun and enjoyed every minute. Didn't have the MCAT looming over me.

It's pretty much up to you. Personally, I would go - my line of thought when I was preparing for my MCAT was that I wasn't doing myself any favors by worrying about it or potentially burning myself out on it by overtaxing myself on problems. I actually spent the last week I had before I took my MCAT doing my own stuff (schoolwork, hanging out with friends, extracurriculars, the like) and just casually doing a few MCAT problems on MCATquestion.com.

What I definitely wouldn't do is study while there. Honestly, who studies on the beach? It's not a conducive environment for that. Just ask yourself this question when you make your decision: are you seriously happy with your performance on the practice exams you've (hopefully) been taking, and could you take the MCAT a week from that day and feel comfortable about it? Just keep in mind that two weeks of preparation will hardly make or break you on the exam, and if you spend it cramming, you'll likely end up burning yourself out on MCAT preparation.

Personally I would stay home to study and relax or whatever. You are like a boxer before a title fight. Don't get distracted. Keep the same routine of studying, don't stress out and pace yourself. Even do practice test at the same hour that you would take the real test. Condition yourself for it. Stay sharp mentally.

After I got in I banged like 5 chicks in 3 months. Now that is a vacation. You don't need one now. Get it done.

Hey guys,

Nope.

I don't recommend it. I think I learned A LOT during the Last few weeks before my test. You'll have a feel for your week areas and be able to hit them hard. Just do well on your mcat so you don't have to take it again, I think it's worth giving up a couple weeks of sunburn :)

Assuming you're still in school, I'm guessing this is your plan for the rest of the year:

July to August: Study for the MCAT / Work at whatever job you're doing
Early September: Last minute MCAT cramming
September 7: MCAT
September 8 - late December: Fall semester

Don't you want a break in there somewhere? Five days on the water sounds awesome, and you will still have two weeks to cram all you want when you get back.

Hey guys,

I spend the entire week before my mcat at the beach with my fiance's family in one 2BR unit...which included two sisters age <10.

I still managed to take a FL everyday in the room. The secret is in the earplugs.

Do your prep for X hours a day, then when you're done -- you're done. Enjoy the beach. :cool:

I took Step 1 on the 19th. I took the 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th off. Studied the 13th-17th hardcore, light skimming on the 18th. I'd already put in most of my studying at that point though.