Going on Unemployment to study for the MCAT (and other MedApp things)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GhostDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm considering a thought. I honestly do not have the time for studying plus a full time job. This is in addition to shadowing and volunteering. Also, my job is killing more and more the more I come to grips that it is not what I want to do. I've been working at my job for a little more than a year as a temp. I know that one of my friend's sister talked to her boss and volunteered to be laid off and I read a story on SDN (can't remember the link) where a person went on unemployment for three months o study for the MCAT. In my particular situation, it could help as well as hurt me. Considering the time, I would have lots of it. Considering the money, I would lose a good amount to say the least. I guess I could still make rent and other expenses such as gas for work would be chopped down a bit. Yet still I'm taking a huge risk! I worry that my expense will outweigh the monthly income and that I could be doing all this trouble for a low score. I should also mention that this is my third and final try, and I don't want to waste it. I'm also worried that if I don't move, I'll be stuck; and if moving, it would be into disaster.

Basically, I'm confused on where to go with this. I need some help. Is there anyone who has been in my shoes before and able to give some guidance?

Members don't see this ad.

Why is it so hard to study for the MCAT while working part/full time?

If you can't manage to work 30-40 hrs and study for the MCAT you're going to have a lot of fun in med school.

Reactions: 5 users
Please don't do this. Work PT and study for the next 4 months. I was working FT, volunteering, and taking one course and it was a lot of time... Now I'm working PT, volunteering, taking two courses, and going to enroll in a prep course.

I (and you, and many others) need the job to pay for everything else, so studying has to fit around the job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above. I'd consider taking a hiatus from volunteering/shadowing for a few months and/or cutting back my work hours a bit over quitting work altogether. Future employers abhor a hole in your CV. Not to mention that going into debt or ruining your credit right before you potentially borrow a quarter million for med school is the kind of bad financial decision that can haunt you for years.

So I'm considering a thought. I honestly do not have the time for studying plus a full time job. This is in addition to shadowing and volunteering. Also, my job is killing more and more the more I come to grips that it is not what I want to do. I've been working at my job for a little more than a year as a temp. I know that one of my friend's sister talked to her boss and volunteered to be laid off and I read a story on SDN (can't remember the link) where a person went on unemployment for three months o study for the MCAT. In my particular situation, it could help as well as hurt me. Considering the time, I would have lots of it. Considering the money, I would lose a good amount to say the least. I guess I could still make rent and other expenses such as gas for work would be chopped down a bit. Yet still I'm taking a huge risk! I worry that my expense will outweigh the monthly income and that I could be doing all this trouble for a low score. I should also mention that this is my third and final try, and I don't want to waste it. I'm also worried that if I don't move, I'll be stuck; and if moving, it would be into disaster.

Basically, I'm confused on where to go with this. I need some help. Is there anyone who has been in my shoes before and able to give some guidance?

What makes you think it's okay to steal my hard-earned money because you're stressed out over a test?

Personally, I think this would be a massive mistake. Not just for your CV but for preparation for medical school and for your motivational level.

I was working a full-time job, volunteering once a week, shadowing once a month and studying for the MCAT at night. I was able to do that for 4-5 months and yes, it was mentally taxing and physically draining, but I have no regrets. Once I was finished with the MCAT and submitted my apps, I felt immense self-worth and confidence. Without that confidence and non-trad experience, I honestly don't think I would be matriculating this coming summer.

You can do it if you set your mind on that goal of what you need to accomplish. If you give up before you even start, then what's the point of pursuing this exhausting and rewarding career path?

Reactions: 1 users
Also...who wants a doctor who will take the easy way out....

Reactions: 1 user
If not cidem's money, than any number of other people. I think it would be easier to have someone pay for the OP to not look for a job and study instead, but I don't think it would be right. I also don't think it's necessary.

If not cidem's money, than any number of other people. I think it would be easier to have someone pay for the OP to not look for a job and study instead, but I don't think it would be right. I also don't think it's necessary.

Another option would be to save enough money to be able to support yourself on a part-time or no salary or perhaps take out a loan, but that might actually involve personal responsibility or patience.

It's stealing. I don't know why OP feels entitled to other people's money. Not very altruistic.

That's like the last argument to make in this situation.

The first argument is that it's a stupid thing to do because it's not that hard to accomplish working PT or FT while studying for the test. That argument is like way down the line somewhere out in the boonies.

That's like the last argument to make in this situation.

The first argument is that it's a stupid thing to do because it's not that hard to accomplish working PT or FT while studying for the test. That argument is like way down the line somewhere out in the boonies.

I think it's a first-line argument because it's so obvious. It doesn't matter what the story is. Going on unemployment and leeching taxpayer money for no justifiable reason should be the end of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's a first-line argument because it's so obvious. It doesn't matter what the story is. Going on unemployment and leeching taxpayer money for no justifiable reason should be the end of it.

You're going to have a lot of fun working with patients.

Reactions: 3 users
Paramedic. World of difference.

Um... from what I understand. It's my money that I worked for (taken away by taxes) that I will be using. Also, I'm a taxpayer too.

Personally, I think this would be a massive mistake. Not just for your CV but for preparation for medical school and for your motivational level.

I was working a full-time job, volunteering once a week, shadowing once a month and studying for the MCAT at night. I was able to do that for 4-5 months and yes, it was mentally taxing and physically draining, but I have no regrets. Once I was finished with the MCAT and submitted my apps, I felt immense self-worth and confidence. Without that confidence and non-trad experience, I honestly don't think I would be matriculating this coming summer.

You can do it if you set your mind on that goal of what you need to accomplish. If you give up before you even start, then what's the point of pursuing this exhausting and rewarding career path?

Now hearing a story such as this is why I'm on SDN in the first place. Not being told I'm either a whiner or a tax abusing bum. Thanks by the way

I'd rather pay for someone who is using the system temporarily to better themselves than pay for someone who uses it because they don't feel like working a ft job (and yes I know someone who's doing that).
Op like others said it would be a horrible idea to do that. If you need to cut something cut the volunteering/ shadowing. Exhaust all other options before going that route because going into debt ( or deeper) is not a smart option. No one will look down on you for cutting your workload if you need to and if they do fudge them!! Do what works for you but think carefully about it.

I worked full time as a teacher, took 12 credits, and studied for the MCAT over 3 months time. Scored a 36. I studied about 5 hours a day and 10 hours on the weekends. It can be done!

Reactions: 2 users
Why is it so hard to study for the MCAT while working part/full time?

If you can't manage to work 30-40 hrs and study for the MCAT you're going to have a lot of fun in med school.
You read my mind
I worked 40+ hours per week and scored 30+ in 2-3 months. Honestly I wouldn't change a thing because I proved to myself that I am ready to handle med school, and working after.
Sometimes I wonder how people think they will study for step1 if it takes 3-4 months of time off for the MCAT.....

I took the 1/23 MCAT and while I don't want to trivialize other people's experiences, my thought at the end of the process was "That's it?" The MCAT is made out to be this huge scary exam and what surprised me the most about it was how doable it was. The MCAT doesn't test more than the pre-reqs (and is actually at a much, much lower level than any of the pre-req classes). So as long as you have those finished, all you need to do is a bit of content review and memorize some of the stuff you forgot or never had to memorize before like the hormones, etc.

If there's one thing I wish I had known going into the whole process, it's that it's just another exam, and it's a lot easier than any exam I've taken up to this date. Heck of a lot easier than college exams. I'm definitely not a genius, and I'm not one of those amazing standardized test takers either.

I worked and studied at the same time, and it was fine (score still pending, but my AAMC average was 38, with 40s by the end). I think a lot of people who take time completely off to study may be overdoing it. Not that there's anything wrong with that if you have a free summer between academic years and can swing it financially, but I don't think it's necessary for someone who has taken the pre-reqs presumably with a GPA > 3.0.

That said, one of my friends is also going through this process and he's the kind of guy who can work or study 8 hours a day, and that's it. He needs his evenings and he needs his weekends completely free. If you're like this guy, obviously working full-time and studying won't work for you. (I'm kind of concerned about how that will work for him in med school and as a doctor, but I guess that worry is premature at this point.)

If it's three months and unemployment and it will cover all your expenses (not put you into debt) then go for it. Honestly, no one will EVER ask you about the three months you took off except for your immediate next position. No one is going to say "So GhostDoctor, I see you excelled in med school, got a great residency, did a fellowship, but... we noticed, when you were pre-med you took three months off. Can you explain that gap from... oh, twelve years ago?"

In my humble opinion, the MCAT is the most important part of your life right now. Some people will say it's easy, others hard... unlike the above poster it was damn near impossible for me (but some of my pre-reqs were taken 10+ yrs ago). I would reduce your schedule to give you the best chance of success on that exam.

And, for those that don't realize this, unemployment is insurance. You pay into the system so you can claim it in the future. If the person is a temp and can choose to get to be laid off (as some temps can if work dries up), there is no scam here and he/she is not stealing your paid taxes.

Last edited:
It's surprisingly more common than you think... including my own gf who spent not 3-4 months, but a year studying for the MCAT (and for about 2 months of that she was not working), and scored a 265 on Step 1. I also spent a year on the MCAT... will post my Step 1 score in 2017 :p.

Sometimes I wonder how people think they will study for step1 if it takes 3-4 months of time off for the MCAT.....

In order to receive unemployment benefits in this sort of context, your employer would have to issue a notice in writing that members of your work force would be laid off and would need to ask for volunteers for layoff, also in writing. Specifically, the notice needs to be in writing and the employer has to request volunteer layoffs in writing. It's not a secret deal you make with your boss.

Also, your employer always has the right to contest a claim for unemployment benefits. It is generally to their benefit to do so, although they don't make the final decision on whether benefits are paid.

If your employer doesn't fit the above bill, you're not going to be eligible for unemployment and you risk losing your job for no reason.

By the way, the acceptance of unemployment benefits means you agree you are willing and able to take on suitable new employment immediately. You have to show that you are actively looking for a job. This isn't free money.

And, for those that don't realize this, unemployment is insurance. You pay into the system so you can claim it in the future. If the person is a temp and can choose to get to be laid off (as some temps can if work dries up), there is no scam here and he/she is not stealing your paid taxes.

No. Your employer pays a specific tax for this. Not the employee. The benefits are administered by the state. When the state runs out of dough, guess who they borrow from?? Uncle Sam.

Your employer pays a specific tax... yes. But, do you know where your employer funds it from? If you look at your pay stub (or at least at mine) there is a specific deduction for unemployment insurance. Granted, I'm a contractor now, so maybe wasn't the case when I worked directly for a company (don't recall).

No. Your employer pays a specific tax for this. Not the employee. The benefits are administered by the state. When the state runs out of dough, guess who they borrow from?? Uncle Sam.

Your employer pays a specific tax... yes. But, do you know where your employer funds it from? If you look at your pay stub (or at least at mine) there is a specific deduction for unemployment insurance. Granted, I'm a contractor now, so maybe wasn't the case when I worked directly for a company (don't recall).

In a traditional employer-employee relationship, the employer pays the unemployment tax. A 1099 employee is a whole different ball of wax--usually independent contractors are ineligible for unemployment benefits at all. Perhaps the company you do work for invests in a separate unemployment insurance policy so they can defend if you try to file for unemployment, or which pays benefits. You should ask your contracting company.

I myself am a 1099 worker, and there are zero deductions from my check (and I have worked for several different contractors). It's possible this varies by state, however.

I like how people are concentrating on the sheer 'injustice' of someone wanting to do this instead of the more relevant 'you shouldnt need to do this' angle...

Oh sdn. never change plz.

Another thing I'll say is don't be easily discouraged. During my MCAT I used to watch those Robin Sharma pep talks. And I think he said that it takes 66 days to form a habit. The first day I worked and studied for my MCAT and worked out and did a million other things, it went like 30% the way I wanted it to. By day ten, I was at around 50%, by day twenty, at around 75%, and it did take around 60 days for me to feel like I owned this (Perfect because that is when I started taking my FL's).

Don't be easily discouraged. Change is messy.

Many people use unemployment and/or retirement savings to prepare for the MCAT. The more time you have to study, the less likely you are to end up in a cycle of forgetting and relearning, the more likely you are to get a high score, get into medical school sooner and become a doctor sooner, etc. Some people opt for part time work and/or get jobs like concierge where they can study and work as alternatives to going on unemployment.

hm00y.jpg

Many people use unemployment and/or retirement savings to prepare for the MCAT. The more time you have to study, the less likely you are to end up in a cycle of forgetting and relearning, the more likely you are to get a high score, get into medical school sooner and become a doctor sooner, etc. Some people opt for part time work and/or get jobs like concierge where they can study and work as alternatives to going on unemployment.

Source?

I was going to say, I don't know anyone who's done this. I rather doubt it's anywhere near as common versus working or going to school at least part-time while studying, which is what most of us do/did.

OP, like others have said, it's both possible and desirable to work part-time or even full-time while preparing for the exam. I was both a full-time grad student and held a part-time job while studying part-time for the MCAT over three months. Again, this is the norm, and it's not clear to me why you think you can't do it when so many others can and have. While one does need sufficient time to study properly for the test, there is definitely such a thing as too much of a good thing, where your extra time produces diminishing returns. And I would argue that if you're truly going to study full-time like that, 3-4 weeks should be enough time, tops. I mean, I studied full-time for Step 1 for five weeks, which was about one week too much in retrospect. I was totally burned out that last week and didn't use the time very efficiently at all. And that exam was much more comprehensive in the breadth of material covered than the MCAT was. I can't imagine studying for the MCAT 8+ hours per day every day for several months. Seriously, if you need that much content review, maybe you should consider retaking the prereqs first, and postpone preparing for the test until you have learned the basic sciences well enough.

Do what's right for you, OP. You know yourself best. Some people have successfully aced the MCAT while doing a million other things but there are many who haven't had that kind of success even without job, etc. I was one of those people who had a hard time balancing FT work and studying. Only did about 5 hours a week MCAT studying for months, then took an entire month totally off of work and just studied. I am so happy I did it that way (of course, wish I would have been better about it while working). Finances are generally an issue, of course, but I think that either small loan or PT work could be a solution. Whatever is best for you.

I was going to say, I don't know anyone who's done this. I rather doubt it's anywhere near as common versus working or going to school at least part-time while studying, which is what most of us do/did.

OP, like others have said, it's both possible and desirable to work part-time or even full-time while preparing for the exam. I was both a full-time grad student and held a part-time job while studying part-time for the MCAT over three months. Again, this is the norm, and it's not clear to me why you think you can't do it when so many others can and have. While one does need sufficient time to study properly for the test, there is definitely such a thing as too much of a good thing, where your extra time produces diminishing returns. And I would argue that if you're truly going to study full-time like that, 3-4 weeks should be enough time, tops. I mean, I studied full-time for Step 1 for five weeks, which was about one week too much in retrospect. I was totally burned out that last week and didn't use the time very efficiently at all. And that exam was much more comprehensive in the breadth of material covered than the MCAT was. I can't imagine studying for the MCAT 8+ hours per day every day for several months. Seriously, if you need that much content review, maybe you should consider retaking the prereqs first, and postpone preparing for the test until you have learned the basic sciences well enough.

Well one of my major concerns was feeling burned out after working a full day. Now that I am in my study schedule, I've come to the conclusion that I don't need time off... I just need to energy manage. Now I am not saying slack off at work, but utilize my energy reserves as well as reinforce those reserves throughout the day to fulfill my study goals. Now I use my break time (like do two verbals during my 15min breaks) or other down time (review sections while samples dissolve) at work to pad the hours of studying that I would normally get if I didn't work. Lastly, thanks for all the important input in helping me decide what to do.

I hope in the future people can look to this post as a lesson to see what they can do, or rather what their options are.

I agree with Q, 1 month of full-time MCAT study is more than enough. Perhaps rather than stopping work altogether, take a leave of absence for a month instead.