hamhamfan

internet fairy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
Hi,

I'm planning on applying to all the California schools, MD and DO, except for maybe Stanford and Tuoro. Also, maybe some out of state schools like Washington University, Temple, Drexel, Vanderbilt...etc. I'll probably send in my transcripts in May and have the AMCAS done by June 1. If I go on vacation between June 19 and 26th, will I miss out on any secondaries? I just don't want to have to be spending my time in the hotel typing up responses.

Thanks.

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
Los Angeles, Calif.
Status (Visible)
from what i remember in the beg of the cycle, secondaries didnt even start coming out until august. and many even came out way after that, like closer to sept. its a long process, lots of waiting...

have fun on the trip!

hamhamfan

internet fairy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by trojan2004
from what i remember in the beg of the cycle, secondaries didnt even start coming out until august. and many even came out way after that, like closer to sept. its a long process, lots of waiting...

have fun on the trip!

So, essentially have most of the summer free? I can take a heavier load of summer classes prior to August and still do fine? thanks.

About the Ads

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
i believe i got a number of them in july.

if you are only gone for that week, you should be alright. enjoy the week and prepare to get cracking when you get back.

and to the poster who asked why we should apply early....

you have to understand that the later you submit amcas the LONGER it takes for them to verify and thus the longer it takes for a good number of the schools to get your file and send you one. so the late applicants will still be behind the early applicants. and the wait becomes exponential...the longer the wait...its gonna take even longer for amcas to verify. not good.

FinallyOnMyWay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2004
DC
Status (Visible)
HamHamFan -

Just be sure that you send in ALL of your transcripts... My primary app got messed up and delayed by 2 months because AMCAS insisted on having a transcript for a summer program I completed... (I never got a grade for it, and the program doesn't provide transcripts - it was an arts program - but I petitioned for credit from my undergrad and so the credit showed on my college transcript). I had the program send a letter, AMCAS lost it, I had to send it again, and by the time it got there, I went from having a relatively early AMCAS verification, to a late-ish one! (End of Sept instead of end of July!) Talk about frustrating. :mad:

But if they have everything they need - you should definitely take a well-deserved vacation before diving into all the secondaries! :)

lyragrl

Mold-a-rama fan
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
Status (Visible)
A lot of it depends on when AMCAS first starts submitting to schools. Last year, AMCAS didn't start submitting until early/mid July. But that might change this year. It usually takes most schools a few days to download the app and respond tho, so I wouldn't worry about going on vacation. Only a few schools, like Northwestern and Loyola, have viciously strict secondary deadlines.

hamhamfan

internet fairy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by FinallyOnMyWay
HamHamFan -

Just be sure that you send in ALL of your transcripts... My primary app got messed up and delayed by 2 months because AMCAS insisted on having a transcript for a summer program I completed... (I never got a grade for it, and the program doesn't provide transcripts - it was an arts program - but I petitioned for credit from my undergrad and so the credit showed on my college transcript). I had the program send a letter, AMCAS lost it, I had to send it again, and by the time it got there, I went from having a relatively early AMCAS verification, to a late-ish one! (End of Sept instead of end of July!) Talk about frustrating. :mad:

But if they have everything they need - you should definitely take a well-deserved vacation before diving into all the secondaries! :)

If I send all of my transcripts in May, do you think that they will be able to tell me quickly that I'm missing anything?

I'm thinking about taking a ridiculously easy Spring quarter (part time status) so I can focus on the AMCAS and writing generic secondaries ahead of time.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
i think you'll be fine. i got some in july, but they didnt flood in until early august. then it was a torrent.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
I remember that AMCAS started sending our applications to schools around the week of July 14. That means the people that had their AMCAS verified on June 3 were in the same batch as those who were verified in early July. It made no difference.

The secondaries came shortly after mostly in late July and August. You should have no problem if you go on your vacation in the month of June.

FinallyOnMyWay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2004
DC
Status (Visible)
If I send all of my transcripts in May, do you think that they will be able to tell me quickly that I'm missing anything?

Here's 2 suggestions:

1) Make sure you submit transcripts for any courses you've taken anywhere AND for courses that you've received credit for (if there's no transcript issued by the program - ask the program to write a letter and submit it to AMCAS explaining this...) especially if credit shows up on your undergrad transcript!

2) If you're worried, ask schools to send transcripts by priority mail, or registered mail if possible. I don't think it's an option in most cases, but if you can manage it, you'll be able to say to AMCAS, "i know you've received my transcript - so quit messing around" if they say they haven't received it. AMCAS says that you have to wait 10 business days after you think they've received a piece of mail before they can tell you if it has gotten to them and they've processed it - which can cause a huge delay if you add that to the time it takes to re-request that something be sent and get through the mail AGAIN if it is lost. But, if you have a tracking number for it, you're better off. :)

And, good luck!!! You're already off to a great start by planning ahead this early.:thumbup:

RoccoWJ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2003
oakland pa
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Ya'll need to chill out. Early is good, but I didn't submit my AMCAS till July 31st. I was accepted by November 9th. Just chill and literally go "with the flow."

Rocco

hamhamfan

internet fairy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by RoccoWJ
Ya'll need to chill out. Early is good, but I didn't submit my AMCAS till July 31st. I was accepted by November 9th. Just chill and literally go "with the flow."

Rocco
stressed out!

MErc44

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2003
Half way home
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by hamhamfan
Hi,

I'm planning on applying to all the California schools, MD and DO, except for maybe Stanford and Tuoro. Also, maybe some out of state schools like Washington University, Temple, Drexel, Vanderbilt...etc. I'll probably send in my transcripts in May and have the AMCAS done by June 1. If I go on vacation between June 19 and 26th, will I miss out on any secondaries? I just don't want to have to be spending my time in the hotel typing up responses.

Thanks.

AMCAS doesn't transmit until a certain date I think. Somewhere in july maybe. I turned my app in at the end of june and my transcript had been there for a month. It wasn't made available to schools until July 15th or something like that. Anyway I got two secondaries two days after it was made available, UIC and UCI, unfortunately that was the last I heard from them, haha. Am I completely wrong here about AMCAS??

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.