going over completed verbal passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rayden001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, actively studying for the MCAT and as usual, getting continually raped by verbal.:(
I have not observed any improvements in my VR scores over the past 2 months. I suspect a contributor to my situation is the method of analyzing completed passages. What is the most effective way to keep track of mistakes and correct them?
I tried following EK's way of just looking at question stems but that only works with EK's verbal. I have tried rereading the passage but it seems i only gain a better understanding of the passage I just read not necessarily how to answer verbal questions in the future. Please help me. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I spend about 2-3x longer to review my practice problems than it takes to do the practice problems. While analyzing, these are some of the questions I ask:

1. What technique did I use? Why did it work/not work? How can I improve it?
2. Was I under any time pressure?
3. Why did I get this question wrong/right?
4. What was the author thinking when he/she made this problem? How were they trying to trip me up?
5. Is there any type of problem I miss more frequently?
6. Why do I miss that type?
7. Were there any choices I should have eliminated right away?
8. Did the passage confuse me and if so, why?

I think their technique of going back and doing the problems their way might help. I didn't find re-reading the passages too helpful either except in cases where I had no idea what was going on (thankfully that didn't happen too often). Go with whatever helps you the most.