Going over wrong answers for verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys go about doing it? What do you guys learn from reading why you got something wrong? If you see a pattern how do you correct it? I think these are the big three questions that plague our verbally challenged group!

Members don't see this ad.

How do you guys go about doing it? What do you guys learn from reading why you got something wrong? If you see a pattern how do you correct it? I think these are the big three questions that plague our verbally challenged group!

i check why i chose the particular answers and apply them in my next practice runs. for a few times, i kept on choosing the wrong answer because I was using "external knowledge" in answering the passage questions. this is not the way to go. stick to the passage info and narrow down your answers from there. remember, the answers do not need to make sense to YOU; they just need to be the best answer out of the choices.

My practice test scores jumped a couple points when I went over my wrong answers and realized that the answer had to be 100%, absolutely correct. After that, if none of the answers sounded absolutely correct to me, even if I still liked one answer, I would mark it and go back to it at the end of the section. A different answer would usually jump out at me with that little extra perspective.

I mark the questions I got wrong and review them the next day. This allows me to relax and disconnect from the section, and re-approach the questions with a clear mind. I only read the solutions after the second attempt. I'm reaping the benefits of constant practice (1 EK101 "section" a day), my scores have gone up 2-3 pts in just a week!

Members don't see this ad :)
I mark the questions I got wrong and review them the next day. This allows me to relax and disconnect from the section, and re-approach the questions with a clear mind. I only read the solutions after the second attempt. I'm reaping the benefits of constant practice (1 EK101 "section" a day), my scores have gone up 2-3 pts in just a week!

this sounds like a good strategy. i have been doing EK as well and I have done 6 passages already but I seem to get stuck with 9-10 scores because some of the answers are tricky to deduce. i will try them out on some sections.

Thanks guys for the awesome advice. I never thought to "second attempt" a question. Just too lazy haha or tired from doing it the first time. I re-bought the EK 101 and will hit that when I'm home. Right now I'm working through the Kaplan home-study book for verbal.

Anyone here have experience with berkeley review verbal and how it is?

I've been doing the same thing, where I wait a day and go back over the questions...the only thing is on hard passages I'm too lazy to really go back in and reread the passage to get a jist of why one answer is right over another..I'm definitely going to have to change that soon lol.

I don't know about you guys but this last mcat didn't allow for much extra reading. The sections were long enough that almost everyone who took the test went to the wire with around one minute or less remaining when finished "not rereading just getting through". It was a evil tough test. :smuggrin: