Going pre-med but horrible at math. :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rivvy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 27 and just starting college. I've wanted to be a doctor for as long as I can remember, but I was discouraged by pretty much everyone because my math skills were not up to snuff in high school. Although I know I didn't try as hard as I should have, I do hold my teachers partially responsible because they knew I needed help and just passed me anyway.
I am willing to learn math now, no question. However I'm wondering exactly how math intensive is the premed program? I know there is a lot of physics, chemistry, etc; but I'm not quite sure what is involved in those courses.
Can anyone please enlighten me on this?
Thanks so much! :)
rivvy

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 27 and just starting college. I've wanted to be a doctor for as long as I can remember, but I was discouraged by pretty much everyone because my math skills were not up to snuff in high school. Although I know I didn't try as hard as I should have, I do hold my teachers partially responsible because they knew I needed help and just passed me anyway.
I am willing to learn math now, no question. However I'm wondering exactly how math intensive is the premed program? I know there is a lot of physics, chemistry, etc; but I'm not quite sure what is involved in those courses.
rivvy

I think the most important thing is to know how to manipulate formulas quickly, i.e. solving for one variable.

rivvy

Most of the prereqs require only algebra, trig (for physics) and basic mathematical functions (add, subtract, multiply, dividing). You won't need to do any calculus in the prereqs except to the extent you take calculus (some schools explicitly require this), or unless you select a calculus based physics (certainly not required). In med school you will again be doing basic mathematical functions, basic algebra, perhaps some logarithmic functions, but less frequently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, Law2Doc. That was extremely helpful. I'm now not so concerned about facing relentless years of math! :)

I HATE MATH TOO. Just get through the calc I (I took that by correspondence) with a tutor, and do the non-calc physics that the other person said. That is all the math you will ever really do. You have to be able to use a calculator in real life for peds doses. Otherwise I really don't every do math in practice.

I've been stressing about math too. I'm 28, and haven't really done much math since high school. Math used to come easily, but not anymore. I'm retaking a math class right now as a refresher, and it's been a struggle everyday....getting easier, but still tough.

hey guys
have faith. I never really liked math. I am more of a bio and chemistry person than math or physics, and I did just fine. I am starting medical school monday, and just finished graduate school in biochem. I also teach MCAT for princeton review, so you can do just fine on it without being a math person!!! Some schools only actually require a year of math, which can be stats, algebra, computer science (in some cases they take) etc
good luck:luck:

I have a touch of dyscalcula, so I can commiserate with you.

My greatest problem is I'm extremely non-traditional, so any math I have taken is ancient history where my classmates have taken the math (and Chem and Physics,) as high school students.

This is one of the most heartening threads I've encountered yet. Thanks for the insight everybody.

rivvy

If you have a community college nearby, now is the time to arrange to take some remedial courses. At the community college, you can start with the equivalent of high school math, take your time and get your skills up before you enter university math.

Other options are to purchase a workbook and look at some of the high school on line help sites as you work through the problems. You cannot afford to move into any of the pre-med prerequisite courses with poor math skills.

Math skills can be taught or learned on your own. Get busy now and you can be ready for university level coursework sooner than you think. If you are just starting university, hold off on the premed pre-requisite coursework until your math skills are up to par.

I'm just starting my pre-med journey as well and that is what I fear...the math. I have absolutely no doubts I can handle any of the rest of it...I just know I'll have to take extra time & perhaps a tutor to get my math basics down. I stunk at it in high school as well and I have two things going against me then...I was PAINFULLY shy and wouldn't ask for help because of fear, and the other was that my math teachers weren't the most approachable people. So, I skimmed by...barely passed and well, failed Algebra 2 because I wouldn't ask for help.

I think all i need to do in college is simply ask for help and I'll be okay.

Hi,

Just thought I'd add about the fear of math bit. When I went back to school, I had not taken any math in years, and my first semester back in school, I was scheduled to take calculus. So, in the two months before I started school, I bought a GRE book and a Algebra and Pre-Calc. book for dummies (Actually, I think it was the "made easy" series, or something like that). I used the GRE book as a basic math review (I felt embarrassed that I had to basically start over at 5th grade math! But, I got over myself and practiced), and then moved on to the practice problems in the more advanced books. I struggled in the beginning of the calc class, but regular practice helped me get through the course successfully.

You don't need to be a natural math whiz to get into med school! I think that in many cases, diligent study habits and a forgiving attitude toward oneself (for being slower than your peers at times, or for making mistakes...as long as you learn from them) can make up for unfamiliarity or relative weakness in a given subject.

Reactions: 1 user
This is one of the most heartening threads I've encountered yet. Thanks for the insight everybody.
Agreed. It's definitely nice to hear. I'm switching over from business to Pre-Med and needless to say I was a bit worried about my weakness in math. I've picked up a few books though to help me out. It's also been a while since I've taken any science classes (I'm 21 and the last time I took one was half a year of chemistry my junior year of HS); however I'm confident enough in my own abilities to make it through with a good GPA. It just may involve retiring from Gymnastics, but I have to look at whats more important, right?

This thread makes me feel a bit better, I am 35 and considering going back to school for PharmD. I would have to take all of the pre req's including tons of math. I am so bad at math that I have managed to complete a Masters degree and I have not even passed college algebra. I tried twice but couldn't pass it. That was then, this is now. I really feel that I am motivated to pursue my dream to be a pharmacists and that I can pass any class I put my mind to. Positive thinking!!!!!

The hardest thing is just convincing myself to do it. I feel like I have wasted my time obtaining my current MA, I already have 50K in student loans and I want to move back to England where Pharmacists do not get paid very well thanks to socialized medicine. Everyone I know thinks I'm a little crazy but even so, the profession is a sure thing, the need for pharmacists is rising like crazy and you can't knock the pay. What to do!?!!?!? I just finished my MA this summer and will finally have my weekends back but I don't want to be 40 and be like, I could of had my pharmD by now if I had done it back then when I said I wanted to. (just like I said 10 years ago)