Going Straight into medical school after High School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Med4ever

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I heard there was a school in the carribean that will let you go into medical school after high school. Whats up with this? I am already in medical schooll but a friend of mine is choosing this path. Does anyone know the ups or down associated with this?

Members don't see this ad.

Well for starters you are going to med school in the Caribbean.

Secondly, you are missing out on 4 years of college.

Those two things seem like pretty huge downsides to me.

Ya true, but i wanted to know more if there was truth to this school. Like it seems like a no brainer...DONT GO. Would there be any benefits, I mean shouldnt it be IMPOSSIBLE to get a decent residency in the U.S

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just a 4 year program? If yes, deffinetely do not go because nobody will want to give you a residency in US without college. You will suffer whole your life because most of MD will look at you down.

british med schools admit people straight from high school. many of my friends went to Hong Kong to do that. it takes 5 years and you end up with a bachelor's degree in medicine. strange eh?

There are many perspectives on this issue so we can't biasly approach this and say "hey this is totally wrong." It totally depends on the goals of the person wanting to take such a path.

Maybe it's cheaper to go to school there? Maybe the person wants to be on an isolated island and concentrate on their studies? As for U.S. residency goes, it really depends on the long-term goals of the student. If the person wants to eventually end up practicing in the U.S., it would be a poor decision since gaining a U.S. residency would be tough.

However, if the person wants to take their training into third world countries and such, etc, then it wouldn't matter as much. Hence it really depends.

Again, as for U.S. med school and Caribbean goes, yes, going to a school in the U.S. is an advantage in gaining a U.S. residency. Will it necessarily make you a a better doctor? No, that's up to you.

- Focus

unless your friend goes to some of the top 5 schools... Ross, MUA, AUA,AUG StG..dont do it

There are 7 year programs that are bachelor's that feed into a 3 year medical school in the US. YOu should look into that.

what's up with all the necrobumps today...

Status
Not open for further replies.