Going to a top 10 school and... getting shot to hell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zetsui

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.2ish GPA liberal arts major strong grade deflation. 1 W in a premed science and 1 that I have to ask about.

Is there any repair plan or inspirational stories for this? I am dedicated to continue to study my ass off, but seriously this is so depressing I would have never imagined this, I have some outside circumstances, but I still feel I worked hard enough to earn better grades than this.

My question is at this point for my major, Spanish Lit major, I have the option of taking an I, W, C+ or P/F as my third quarter grade. I got a B in second quarter. My question is for this third quarter what should I do to increase my chances to med school, I am afraid the C+ or W will just kill my app completely.

P/F I heard isn't too bad

I is confusing. So say I take this course again next year, like the teacher encouraged me too, and he gives me an A, does this A simply replace my previous I (is this dependent on AMCAS or my school's policy is what I'm unsure about)?

Also what is the AMCAS GPA? How is this different from my school's (huge grade deflation's) GPA? Does it simply standardize my GPA, do I also have to send in my own school's transcripts?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

3.2ish GPA liberal arts major strong grade deflation. 1 W in a premed science and 1 that I have to ask about.

Is there any repair plan or inspirational stories for this? I am dedicated to continue to study my ass off, but seriously this is so depressing I would have never imagined this, I have some outside circumstances, but I still feel I worked hard enough to earn better grades than this.

My question is at this point for my major, Spanish Lit major, I have the option of taking an I, W, C+ or P/F as my third quarter grade. I got a B in second quarter. My question is for this third quarter what should I do to increase my chances to med school, I am afraid the C+ or W will just kill my app completely.

P/F I heard isn't too bad

I is confusing. So say I take this course again next year, like the teacher encouraged me too, and he gives me an A, does this A simply replace my previous I (is this dependent on AMCAS or my school's policy is what I'm unsure about)?

Also what is the AMCAS GPA? How is this different from my school's (huge grade deflation's) GPA? Does it simply standardize my GPA, do I also have to send in my own school's transcripts?

Thanks

I don't understand, why are people so gungho with getting into a top med-school? Are there substantial differences between a top 10 medschool and a top 50 medschool? medschool is medschool, no?

I think he means that he goes to a top 10 undergrad school

Members don't see this ad :)
The AMCAS GPA is AMCAS calculating your GPA for you. They take biology, physics, chemistry and I believe math to calculate science GPA and then they calculate an overall GPA. They also count pluses and minuses, even though not all schools give them.

So your AMCAS GPA will probably not be any better than your school GPA, I am sorry to say, but the science GPA might work in your favor.

EDIT: I think that an "I" might look better than W, because it suggests that you weren't able to complete the coursework due to extenuating circumstances thus your professor allowed you a second chance. "W" might be taken to mean that your performance dropped off so you withdrew to avoid getting a bad grade. I don't know about P/F.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.