Going to be in same city as med school. what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transgress20

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if people had any similar experiences as this one.
-I am already in a good medical school but I am going to a research conference in two weeks to a place that has a better medical school(one that I applied to, received secondary, and like everyone else doesn't here forever). Do you think I should call the school and kinda "ask" or hint at an interview. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It wouldnt hurt to. You could always call and ask what the status of your file is and would like to know if there is a possible interview in the future given that you will be in the area on this and that date. Its not like it would affect your file or anything. Cant hurt to try.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're going to be there on a day that they were ALREADY going to be doing interviews, I don't think it could hurt you to call and say that you are going to be in town, and that if they were planning to interview you anyway that that would be a great time for you. I think it MIGHT be effective if it's a considerable distance from home, probably not very effective if it's close enough that it's not a huge inconvenience to come back. I don't think you're going to talk your way into an interview if they weren't already planning on it though.

calling them up with "hints" would be way too subtle. you should put on a suit (you'll need on for the conference anyway, right?) and pay a visit to the admissions office. it's common for a couple people to not show up on their interview day. you should visit the office and ask the admissions people if anybody didn't show up that day. then before they can even finish the answer, start begging for an interview. eventually make it down on your knees. when they fail to concede, you should sit in a chair among the other applicants in the waiting room and loudly refuse to leave. as they step out to call security, rip off everyones' name tags, mix them all up, and then randomly hand them back to people and put one on yourself. when security arrives, you should quickly point out that the person who ended up without a name tag obviously wasn't invited to interview there. after they kick that person out, you should proceed through the interview day in lieu of the person whose name tag you wear, but doing a horrible job at answering questions. this won't get you an acceptance, but two people will end up rejected at the school (increasing your own odds) and you'll now know in advance what the interview day at the school is like. then when the conference is over, go back home and wait to hear back from the school about an interview like a normal person.

Hey I was wondering if people had any similar experiences as this one.
-I am already in a good medical school but I am going to a research conference in two weeks to a place that has a better medical school(one that I applied to, received secondary, and like everyone else doesn't here forever). Do you think I should call the school and kinda "ask" or hint at an interview. Thanks

definitly you have a reason to be in the city...might as well save the money you have nothing to lose

Thanks everyone for answering, will call. Doctor detroit that was the best answer I have ever heard of