Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Going to Boston or NY...maybe

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by GassiusClay, Feb 19, 2007.

1. GassiusClay

GassiusClay PGY-2
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey everyone,

I'm pretty new here, and I was looking to get people's thoughts on moving away from their med school/home area, especially those going alone with no one waiting at the other end like friends, family, significant others.

One place that I'm looking at is Boston (along with NYC), but I don't know if Beantown can match where I grew up, Chicago. I took a look at some other thread talking about places to live, and Boston doesn't seem to be discussed much.

Do people feel that being in Boston at age 26 is probably not a good idea? Or staying around Chitown is probably a better bet?

P.S. I've tried to find people to compare living alone in both places, but have been unlucky so far so I'm hoping for some input from the great Internet, made possible by Al Gore!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mig26x

mig26x Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    been in boston at age 26 its a great idea!!! awesome city!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. medgirl81

medgirl81 PGY1
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Boston's a great city for 20-somethings. Tons to do, youthful atmosphere, energetic. I can't wait to move back there!

4. Bitsy3221

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Boston is a fabulous city for young, single twenty-somethings. It's a very young, intelligent, well-educated town where it is easy to meet people. The only downside I can think of is that it can be very expensive (moreso than Chicago in my humble experience) for a single person if you are looking to live alone.