Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Going To California

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by swifteagle43, Apr 15, 2007.

1. swifteagle43

swifteagle43 Lover- not a fighter

If I don't get into a medical school I am moving to california and try to establish residency...maybe i can get in then....if not i want to go to law school on the west coast

SICK OF THE COLD F*CKING NORTH EAST!!! WHO IS WITH ME?!!!! CALIFORNIA OR BUST!!!!!!!!1

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Non-TradTulsa

Non-TradTulsa Senior Member - Resident

Resident [Any Field]
    We're all sick of what has to be the coldest April on record in most of the country. It's a lovely 35 degrees this morning in Oklahoma City, for heaven's sake - the middle of the South - it ought to be well on the way to the mid-70's this time of year.

Don't kid yourself about establishing residency in California, however. California is one of the most difficult states in the US for applicants - the California state schools are the best anywhere - and there aren't any "lower tier" options in California in the allopathic world. If you have a top-flight application, UCLA (and UCSF, if memory serves me) gives very little preference to state residency (UCLA's official policy is "no preference").

Most of my family lives in California and I may well move there to practice. However, I am very grateful that I lived in Oklahoma when I decided to go to medical school - Oklahoma has little in or out migration of physicians, so the state has been forced to sink a ton of money into an excellent allopathic school (OU) and an excellent osteopathic school (OSU). Combine that with very strong in-state preference and only 3.3 million people in this state, and you've got some of the best odds anywhere if you have a good app.

Your home-state odds are probably far better than in-state California. Good luck!

4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Agree. If you are truly set on moving to a warm climate state to improve your odds, I would think Texas or Florida would be more beneficial.

5. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!!

Sick Of The Cold F*cking Midwest!!! Who Is With Me?!!!! Northeast Or Bust!!!!!!!!1

6. Non-TradTulsa

Non-TradTulsa Senior Member - Resident

Resident [Any Field]
    I just checked. It's going to be just as warm in Minneapolis today as it will be in Oklahoma City. That is just so wrong.

7. Old ortho

Medical Student
    If you want to go to a warmer place, I recommend Florida or even Texas or other southern states. I am from California, and it is toughest state to get into the in state school. I know more than a few Cali pre-med students with GPA's of 3.8 and MCAT's of 32+ and decent EC's having to go the east coast med schools.

8. GoinBack2Cali?

GoinBack2Cali? it used to be so cool

MD/PhD Student

but then you have to live in oklahoma??

9. blargh

blargh Banned
    Banned

Pre-Psychology
    it's so cold here! i can't believe it's 65 degrees in san diego right now. i can't wear shorts!

hehe sorry that was mean.

10. Crazy4F1

Resident [Any Field]
    hello from a noreaster. i think my entire campus is going to wash away in this miserable weather.

for me, how about someplace where it doesnt rain a lot? :laugh:

11. BadgerMD

Pre-Medical
    From MN and currently living in WI..... We had record breaking snow last week. I win! I graduate in 5 weeks and I feel like it should be christmas or something. Anyone wanna trade?

12. riceman04

Medical Student
    Yeahhhh...after spending 1.5 yrs here in Killadelphia...I am quite ready to head back to my birthplace...dat's right biotches...I'm going going back back to Cali Cali!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just hope I did not lose my state residency

13. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    Like others have said you're MUCH better off in your home state than in California. Plus different schools have different residency requirements and its going to take a couple of years + CA drivers license etc. So you won't be applying for a good long while.

Then I have to ask why you didn't get in this year? If its because your numbers are average or below average then DEFINITELY don't move to Cali - they are brutal on applicants. They want 3.7+, 35+, lots of research and clinical experience. You have to remember that 75% of Cali residents that apply and get in to medical school end up out of state because all of the UCs rejected them. THATS HUGE. And unfortunately unless you have very impressive numbers/ECs you'll just waste a bunch of time establishing residency and then you will end up moving out of Cali with the rest of the 75%.

If you want warmer climates try AZ. It only takes a year to establish residency and they interview every single AZ resident (which is every applicant since they don't take OOS applications).

14. kdburton

kdburton Ulnar Deviant

Resident [Any Field]
    All this cold weather must be due to the global warming :laugh:

15. pennybridge

pennybridge Banned
    Banned

are you serial?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. maestro1625

Medical Student
    you saw Day after Tomorrow... all of the north gets frozen in ice...