Going to Community College WITHOUT ged, can this work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kelo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found a Community College that accepts people without a GED or high school diploma..

Im going to apply tomorrow.

After I take some Biology and Chemistry courses and get some credits I plan to transfer to a University... Sence I'll have credits in Biology and Chemistry, and have already made it to college, will the schools I try to transfer to ask if I have a GED or high school diploma?

Or will they not care because I've already been to a Community College and did well. ? ?

Basically im asking if ill be able to transfer from a Community College to a University after a couple years of studying Biology and Chem. without a GED or high school diploma?

Also, what should I study while attending Community College?
Biology?
Chem.?

Members don't see this ad.

I found a Community College that accepts people without a GED or high school diploma..

Im going to apply tomorrow.

After I take some Biology and Chemistry courses and get some credits I plan to transfer to a University... Sence I'll have credits in Biology and Chemistry, and have already made it to college, will the schools I try to transfer to ask if I have a GED or high school diploma?

Or will they not care because I've already been to a Community College and did well. ? ?

Basically im asking if ill be able to transfer from a Community College to a University after a couple years of studying Biology and Chem. without a GED or high school diploma?

Biology?
Chem.?

While Im not 100% sure, Id have to imagine that they would still ask for you HS transcript and SAT score.

I see you've put this thread in a number of different forums, you should really stick to the one pre-med one where you first posted, though it might have been a mistake.

As far as the transfer schools caring if you have a diploma or a GED, it would depend on the school. I could see most schools not caring at all. Briefly looking over the UC requirements for transfer, none of them mention having a high school diploma or GED.

As far as classes to take, that also depends on where you want to transfer to. Many universities will require you to take Gchem, Bio, and possibly Ochem before you transfer if you're interested in transferring into a Biology Program. Other than those, you should do you best to finish all of your general ed classes. California has a program called IGETC which certifies that you have completed all of your general ed, and transfer schools which accept the IGETC can't make you take any more general ed classes. You should do some research to see if your state has a similar program.

As far as people nay saying taking science classes at the community college, it's really not that big of a deal as long as you do well in your upper division sciences after you transfer, and do decently on your standardized pre-health test.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools ask for a high school transcipt, others don't. Some schools accept community college credits for prerequisites, some don't. You need to call the schools you're interested in individually to find out.

I don't know your circumstances but most likely I'd suggest you get your GED or HS diploma and then try to attend a 4-year university.

If you get into a comunity college and complete the first two years with good grades, I do not see why anyone would care what you did in highschool.

Yes it will work, i would know! No GED no Diploma, got my AA and am graduating with a molecular bio degree in a semester!

Only dental school that asks for high school transcripts is UCLA(which is why it is not on my list!)

Also i would suggest NOT taking any of your dental prereqs at a CC, just take your general classes and save your prereqs for wen you attend a university, i know many people who got rejected from dental schools because of taking their prereqs at CC's.

BTW why are you in the pre dent forums asking this arent you a premed?(not attacking, just asking)

Well I was originally interested in the MED field, but after doing research into the Dental field I realized it interested me more...

:)hey TOMMY... You seem like the perfect person who can help me...

So let me get this streight..You are attending a CC and your graduating with an associates degree, right?

And you plan on transfering to a university? and you want to become a Dentist eventually, yes?

Tell me your whole plan please....It seems like ill be going the same "route" as you....

So id love to hear your story! :D

Well I was originally interested in the MED field, but after doing research into the Dental field I realized it interested me more...

:)hey TOMMY... You seem like the perfect person who can help me...

So let me get this streight..You are attending a CC and your graduating with an associates degree, right?

And you plan on transfering to a university? and you want to become a Dentist eventually, yes?

Tell me your whole plan please....It seems like ill be going the same "route" as you....

So id love to hear your story! :D

Well i actually already got my AA and I am graduating this year at the university i transferred to. I put my app in already, and hopefully im going to get in to a d-school this year:xf: Any info you want just pm me

Biology?
Chem.?

Dental schools prefer to take pre-requisite courses (biology, chemistry, etc.) completed from a four year institution.