Going to Dartmouth next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Super Rob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's considering Dartmouth? I'm getting this thread together to compare notes with other applicants. Anybody do their UG in Hanover? Familiar with the area? How's life outside of school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm hoping to have the chance to go to Dartmouth next year. I really loved it when I was there. I still haven't heard back ... I interviewed pretty late though. Hopefully I'll hear some good news soon. :clap:

I'm almost sure I'll be at DMS next year. My girlfriend wants me to live in Boston so I'm waiting to see if Tufts offers me any money (it's not gonna happen) before I make a final decision. The only other acceptance I'm still holding on to is MCG, and I'm doing so in case the financial packages for Tufts and DMS scare me away :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright! Good to hear some enthusiasm! For a second there, I thought it was gonna be just me and God up there next fall.

I'm also curious about the DMS financial aid package. They made it sound at the interview like they had all sorts of money to throw around. Guess we'll just wait and see.

Yea, I've heard that DMS is fairly generous with their money so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for some good news

Elizabeth1028 said:
I'm hoping to have the chance to go to Dartmouth next year. I really loved it when I was there. Hopefully I'll hear some good news soon. :clap:

Good Luck Elizabeth! It only took them 16 weeks to get back to me with a decision, so you could hear from them anytime between NOW and the start of your residency. But hang in there! We could be classmates.

Super Rob said:
Good Luck Elizabeth! It only took them 16 weeks to get back to me with a decision, so you could hear from them anytime between NOW and the start of your residency. But hang in there! We could be classmates.

Thanks! Hehe I hope I hear sooner than residency! :p Anyways, they said no news is good news so with any luck I'll hear before August and we'll be classmates. :)

Super Rob said:
Who's considering Dartmouth? I'm getting this thread together to compare notes with other applicants. Anybody do their UG in Hanover? Familiar with the area? How's life outside of school?

Here's a site I found the other night while doing a little research on the school and the area. It's made for the undergrad's incoming freshmen (hence the name), but it has some info that might be useful to us too. They definitely have some weird homecoming traditions...

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~shmen/index.htm

I'll add my name to the list of those seriously considering DMS. As of right now I'm dropping all my other seats. I'm still waiting for UMass and I'm considering Pitt if I get of the waitlist there but those are not strong possibilities right now. I have a lot of serious thinking to do.

Super Rob, are you going to second look weekend? I just sent my rsvp form in today and I'm looking forward to it.

DMBUGA, you just have to accept that you are not going to get sh_t from Tufts so you'll be at DMS. There is just no way aroud it for you. Sorry, I know you're disapointed ;)

TheRussian said:
DMBUGA, you just have to accept that you are not going to get sh_t from Tufts so you'll be at DMS. There is just no way aroud it for you. Sorry, I know you're disapointed ;)

Haha, hey man, don't tell me, tell my girlfriend! I'm just waiting for her permission to withdraw.....

yea, yea, I'm whipped :oops:

I tried to find a smily with a whip. I think I've seen it somewhere on this forum but I can't find. So imagine a smily whipping another smily.

DMBUGA34, if you go to Dartmouth, how far away will you be from your girlfriend?

quideam said:
DMBUGA34, if you go to Dartmouth, how far away will you be from your girlfriend?

Just 2 hrs whether she chooses to attend UNH or BU. She's just really tired of the long distance things since, for the past year, I've been in ATL and she's been in Ottawa. I'm planning to get engaged in 3 weeks so that should ease her down a bit :)

Members don't see this ad :)
TheRussian said:
I'm still waiting for UMass and I'm considering Pitt if I get of the waitlist there but those are not strong possibilities right now.

Super Rob, are you going to second look weekend? I just sent my rsvp form in today and I'm looking forward to it.

Second look weekend? I'm gonna take a trip out there in the next couple of weeks, as soon as I contact a student or two. But I haven't heard anything about a second look weekend. I'm in, just tell me when it is?

Russian, I thought your name looked familiar. You've also applied to UMASS? That's awesome! Did you go to school in Massachusetts?

Super Rob mini tangent: UMASS vs. DMS?

(hey, at least this isn't Harvard vs. Hopkins)

Where would you go if you had to pick? UMASS is more urban, but Worcester is not the most happening place and Dartmouth grads have no trouble procuring spots in urban residencies.

UMASS students are famous for their clinical competency but if you're interested in research or academia, I'm not sure the name carries the same weight as Daaahmuth.

Both schools are small and have awesome students who seem really happy.

UMASS really pushes the primary care agenda, which is a big plus if you're heading into primary care. Dartmouth places an even emphasis on primary care and other (according to their website... haven't had students confirm this yet). DMS also does something weird with its clerkships. Notice all of the major clerkships come in eight week blocks. Psych 8 wks, Med 8 wks, Surge 8 wks, Ob/Gyn 8 wks... ??? Does that make sense?

Price: UMASS is what, 8K and 3K if you practice anywhere in MA outside of Boston for a few years? Not bad. DMS... 31K, but I hear they're really generous. Have you heard anything about that? Have you received your financial aid packet yet?

DMBUGA34, thanks for the link. :)

Super Rob, I don't know much about UMass so I can't say that my opinion is unbiased, but I'd go with Dartmouth. It seemed like such a fabulous place when I visited. Plus, the reputation is better and it'll probably give you more options if you decide you want to do something other than primary care. My personal opinion is to pick the place you like better and don't worry as much about financial aid - you'll be able to repay loans on a physician's salary. Plus, as you said, DMS has great financial aid so money might even be less of an issue. But ultimately it's all about going with your gut and choosing the school that's best for you.

Anyways, hope that was helpful! :)

Super Rob, I also can't say that my opinion is unbiased, but I'd pick Dartmouth just for the chance to learn at the DHMC! That place is awsome.

DMBUGA34 said:
Super Rob, I also can't say that my opinion is unbiased, but I'd pick Dartmouth just for the chance to learn at the DHMC! That place is awsome.

Agreed.

And not to mention it's great for med students and residents trapped in their while on call, having the bank, post office, dry cleaning, and haircut place all in the pseudo-mall hospital. :laugh:

The DHMC is pretty sweet.

Anybody remember the housing situation at Dartmouth, whether they have dorms and appartments on campus or if it's all off campus housing?

Super Rob said:
The DHMC is pretty sweet.

Anybody remember the housing situation at Dartmouth, whether they have dorms and appartments on campus or if it's all off campus housing?

i believe it's all off campus housing although welch was talking about the possibility that a grad dorm might be scheduled for construction in the near future (dunno if that helps current med students!). i'm not going to be at DMS next year but i thought it was a really cool place, especially DHMC. my grandfather went to dartmouth for college and i used to go fly-fishing with him around the area years ago. i was always amazed at the amazing outdoor opp. there. hanover is a really pretty/scenic area. Best of luck!!!
loomis

post deleted

Last edited:
Super Rob said:
Second look weekend? I'm gonna take a trip out there in the next couple of weeks, as soon as I contact a student or two. But I haven't heard anything about a second look weekend. I'm in, just tell me when it is?

Russian, I thought your name looked familiar. You've also applied to UMASS? That's awesome! Did you go to school in Massachusetts?

Second look weekend is Friday April 30th through Sat May 1st. I got the invitation for it a few days after my acceptance letter. They set you up with a student host for friday night too, if you are interested. If you still haven't recieved anything give them a call.

Yeah, UMass is an awesome school. I honestly don't know what I would do if I got accepted there. UMass is so much cheaper and the fact that they defer 2/3 of tuition until you graduate makes it that much easier to afford. Worcester is not Boston but it does have a rampant drug problem and probably a good amount of crime to make the ER rotation pretty interesting. Don't know if that can be said about DHMC but then again if I go to DMS I can always try to do that rotation in Hartford. The only down side about UMass is that it might hinder me should I decide to go into academic medicine, something I'm starting to consider more and more. I absolutely loved UMass but I don't know if I can pass up the chance to go to DMS.

Oh and yes, I did go to school in Mass (Brandeis)

absolutezero said:
Looking forward to seeing you all at the 2nd look weekend. Should be fun. One thing though-it seems like everything at the revisit is going down at the hospital. I would have liked to check out the actual school some more. Hopefully there will be a chance to do that (I didn't take the formal tour, I just kind of wandered around on my own after my interview). Has anyone seen the anatomy lab, lecture halls or library? What's the verdict?

I'm in the same boat. I had to take of after my interview so that I could catch the bus so I missed the tour. Hopefully I'll find time to get over to the school and go on a tour during the weekend. Maybe I'll call and see if they can set that up.

Super Rob said:

They offer housing but spots are limited. The N. Park St. Apartments are right across the street from the medical school and are only a year old. They're furnished and I've heard great things about them. There's no parking adjacent to the buildings, so you'd have to park your car at the med school (a whole block away). This housing is basically only for single, incoming grad students, so they'll kick you out after a year! There are only 10 spots for med students, so I was told that they'll likely have a lottery on June 12. Call Mr. Hutchins if you have any more questions, his number's inside the link. For married couples there's always the Sachem Village.

Link (pdf):

http://www.dartmouth.edu/dms/students/resources/pdf/nparkstreetapp.pdf

absolutezero said:
DMBUGA34- We're in the same situation. I actually just revisited Tufts on Monday (seeing as how they don't do 2nd look weekends). It's a pretty tough decision. I'm hoping the DMS second look helps me decide. Going to Tufts would be fine-I'm just not all that revved up about the place, but I'd get to live with my girlfriend. DMS seems awesome-it's just a big unknown what kind of stress doing a 4-5 hour round trip commute on the weekends would be in the long run. I'm Dartmouth-Brown so at least we'd get to be together during years 3 and 4. Moneywise though it looks like DMS will have the big advantage. I'm waiting impatiently for my finaid award letter.

I received a letter from Tufts inviting me to their Revisit Days, so they do have a 2nd look weekend, but it's on April 29th and 30th. Theoretically you can leave Tufts on the 30th (day ends at 2pm) and make it to DMS before theirs starts. I'd do it but I have a wedding to attend that weekend so I won't be able to fly up there.

I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to attend UNH so that I wouldn't have to deal with Boston traffic when I come visit. She's getting her Masters in Education so she'll be done with that after a year and a half. She'll join me in Hanover then, but will she be able to find a job?!? Manchester and Concord are fairly close so I guess she could always work there and commute. Goodluck man, I think I should've applied to the Dartmouth-Brown thing too, I just didn't want to start over in a new place with new people after only 2 years. Dartmouth-Brown people do match incredibly well!

DMBUGA34 and absolutezero,
I just remembered that one of the students I stayed with when I was at DMS for my interview had a fiance that was going to BU. From talking to him it seemed that they were both handling it pretty well and compensated for not seeing each other that much by talking on the phone about an hour each night. So based on that, my advise would be: go to DMS and get a good phone plan. :)

post deleted

Last edited:
This may be slightly off-topic.

Does anyone know how waitlists tend to move there? I'm on the waitlist and would love to ultimately attend, but I don't know how much hope I should put in it, if at all.

Anyone with info please let me know. Thanks guys. :thumbup:

absolutezero said:
There's a pretty good post in the allopathic forum by a dms 4th year. I wonder how different one's experience would be at a place like Tufts vs. DMS. All the little details seem so magnified in my mind right now it's kind of hard to think straight about it. Probably can't go wrong at either place. Tufts just seems kind of big and uncohesive, in a grim neighborhood with a commuter school kind of vibe. DMS appears small and cohesive in a beautiful place. Tough to tell if that stuff is really just superficial vibes or indicative of the real deal..I think it's pretty important for me to be happy with my choice of school despite the inconvenience it causes relationshipwise. Sorry if this is sounding kind of confessional.. :oops:

Yea, I saw that thread on the allo forum. Very informative. But like he said, "What life is in Hanover depends on who you ask." I e-mailed my student host not long ago with a few questions about life in Hanover, and so far he said he's loving it. He loves skiing (once went to Killington 5 out of 8 days), loves video games (burns free time and also good for stress relief), and has a girlfriend (again, great way to spend free time). So it all depends on what kind of person you are. The Hopkins Center always offers some sort of entertainment (my student host took me to see a free preview of The Last Samurai while I was there), and if all else fails, hanging out playing drinking games or watching movies always works too!

Personally, I'm not to worried. I see myself keeping up with school work during the week and taking the weekends off, visiting my girlfriend and traveling to places like Boston and Montreal. I prefer DMS because I feel like I'll perform better in school by staying away from all the distractions of a big city (until weekends) and being part of a small, supportive community....while borrowing as little money as I can ;) My complaint about Tufts, besides the price, is that it seems very clickish and also competitive since it's probably harder to stand out in such a large class. Hope your girlfriend understands if you choose to attend Dartmouth! Besides, it's only 2 years of a semi long distance relationship :) (just don't make round trips on the same day!)

Yo Dudes,

The blitz in allo-forum from that DMS is definitely worth checking out if you haven't already...just a minor disagreement though. I went to Dartmouth as an undergrad and I don't feel as if the DMS students were shunned at all! I saw medical students at frat parties a couple of times and in the library (Dana) there are always biochem/biology majors around. You've (DMSers) just got to talk to them (UGs), because they might be hesitant to talk to you first. I got asked out by a medical student while I was an undergrad. I met him in the library. Anyway, I think that it might be tougher than usual to mix with the undergrads because the greek system is so popular - students tend to frequent their favorite frat rather then venturing to Murphy's or 5 Olde (because the beer is free at the frats). If you like to drink, you'll have no trouble hangin with the UG crowd and they are definitely a friendly bunch.

So yeah, I'll be there for second look. I'm 90% sure I'm heading back to Hanover. Can't wait to meet you guys!

Hey,
I was an undergrad at Dartmouth too, and I think I may be going back there for DMS.
I agree with moose, there's no bad feelings at all between DMS students and UGs. It's cold up there, you need all the body heat you can get.
I also talked to a friend of mine who was a DMS student and is now in residency. She gave me some good insights about being a DMS student.
PM me if you have any questions.

Did any of us take the damned tour? :eek:

I high tailed it outta there cuz it was getting late, and dark, and hailing, and I had a long ride home. I'm going to call the office and make reservations for second look weekend if I don't hear from them by Monday. A second look weekend and financial aid package BEFORE May 15th??? And friendly people answering phones? Sure this is real?

absolutezero, I also hear that Worcester is the pitts... my best friends girlfriend went to grad school there. I wouldn't mind doing a rotation or an ER elective in that hospital though. If I attend DMS, I'll also be looking in Hartford and some away rotations... though not as exciting, I still love the Hitch.

Russian, I've contacted several students at UMASS and they preach how wonderful it is there with rabid enthusiasm. That being said, they confirm that Worcester is not fun, there is a huge emphasis on primary care (still a bit of one at DMS, I hear), and it is not the place to go if you intend on an academic career... although some will disagree. Even with the tuition deferral, it's still a projected 30 - 32K per year expense. If you're not looking for an academic career, I've also been told that UMASS offers perhaps the best clinical training in the state (hope I don't get flamed for this).

DMBUGA34, thanks for the DL!

Moose1, your post was inspirational! :D I'm from one of the largest party schools in the nation (according to folklore, we are known to study on occasion) so it's good to know I'd be in good company up north, when I'm not trapped under heavy textbooks! I'm all about meeting lots of people, and I was a little concerned about the tiny class sizes at the medical school. I can't imagine how interesting it must be to have the UG, Grad, and Medical students all in the same area.

winterglo, I'm eager to hear what you have to share. Please post any insight you have in one of the Dartmouth threads!

Super Rob said:
Russian, I've contacted several students at UMASS and they preach how wonderful it is there with rabid enthusiasm. That being said, they confirm that Worcester is not fun, there is a huge emphasis on primary care (still a bit of one at DMS, I hear), and it is not the place to go if you intend on an academic career... although some will disagree. Even with the tuition deferral, it's still a projected 30 - 32K per year expense. If you're not looking for an academic career, I've also been told that UMASS offers perhaps the best clinical training in the state (hope I don't get flamed for this).

30-32K/year? My understanding was that tuition and fees should be around 5K because of the 2/3 deferal. Living expenses can't add up to 25K can they?
Sorry I know this of topic but thanks for the insight on UMass. Right now I don't have that decision to make and I'm kind of happy about that. Decisions are very stressful.

TheRussian said:
30-32K/year? My understanding was that tuition and fees should be around 5K because of the 2/3 deferal. Living expenses can't add up to 25K can they?
Sorry I know this of topic but thanks for the insight on UMass. Right now I don't have that decision to make and I'm kind of happy about that. Decisions are very stressful.

You're right about tuition dropping from about 8.5 to around 3, and you're right about the stress! :)

UMASS (maybe this will help people deciding between DMS vs. StateU)

from website (my 2 cents added)

Rent & utilities: 7,100 (all off campus)
Food: 4,250 (realistic)
Transportation: 2,800 (need car)
Misc: 4740 (realistic if you're buying clothes, computer, getting the H out of Worcester every now and then, etc.)
Insurance: 2,147 (optional?)
Dental: 200 (optional?)

Tuition: 8,352 ( -5,568 learning contract. Go MASS!)
Fees: 4750 (Oooh!)
Books & sht: 1,355 (realistic)
Prof Dues: 103 (optional?)

About 30,000 if you work in PC or if you work outside of Boston for 4 years following your training.

About 35,000 if you leave the state or work as a specialist in Boston following your training.

Still a chunk of change either way.

Also...
Anybody choosing between Dartmouth and a Big City School? (PM me)

Hi all,

I was also a Dartmouth undergrad, worked in undergrad admissions at Dartmouth, and worked at DHMC after graduation, so I'm pretty familiar with the place. I am originally from CA so moving to NH was a big change for me.

I will not be returning next year, but I think DMS is a great place to go if you are interested in the following:

1) A small school with close-knit student body.

2) Enjoying the outdoors, taking advantage of skiing, canoeing, hiking, ice skating, snowshowing, etc. etc.

3) Enjoying the changing seasons and temps...ranges from highs sometimes in the 90s in May great for swimming in the river, and cold temps in Jan or Feb, nice for skiing. The Fall in the Upper Valley is also very beautiful.

4) Living in a small town (pop ~10k) is ok with you. Hanover has less than 10 traffic lights, only two bars, etc.

5) You're willing to drive 3 hrs down to Boston or 3.5 hrs up to Montreal to get your city fix.

6) Taking advantage of DHMC opportunities...the largest hospital in VT-MA-NH area. I really enjoyed working there, and they are doing a lot of expansion in the upcoming years.

The few undergrads (generalizing here...) who dont enjoy dartmouth tend to dislike it for the following reasons:

-don't like living in a small town
-don't like the temperature changes
-think the school is too small (4000 undergrads)

Good luck with your decisions. Feel free to PM me for more insight or specific questions I might be able to help with.

Thanks for the breakdown Super Rob, There are just some things you don't think about. If you don't mind me going on another tangent, I don't know who would spend $4,250 on food. I have a kitchen at school and so I buy my own food instead of having a meal plan. Projecting my food expenses till the end of the year, I will spend no more that $800 on food over the course of 8 months. My eating out has been very limited as well. Maybe 1 or 2 times a month. It's all about store brands.

Also I think I still fall under my parents' insurance.

TheRussian said:
Thanks for the breakdown Super Rob, There are just some things you don't think about. If you don't mind me going on another tangent, I don't know who would spend $4,250 on food. I have a kitchen at school and so I buy my own food instead of having a meal plan. Projecting my food expenses till the end of the year, I will spend no more that $800 on food over the course of 8 months. My eating out has been very limited as well. Maybe 1 or 2 times a month. It's all about store brands.

Also I think I still fall under my parents' insurance.

Those things will certainly save you a bundle no matter where you go! I keep forgetting that the budget is projecting 8 months worth of expenses and not twelve.

Well, let's keep this thread alive. People familiar with DMS: tell us more about the social climate in Hanover and the surrounding areas. What's there to do after 8 pm, when the sun sets and the town closes for the evening?

This has been mentioned before I just want to reiterate how nice they are to accepted students. I just got the letter confirming that they recieved my response indicating my "commitment to enter Dartmouth Medical School" and under Andrew Welch's signuture he wrote "Excellent! Welcome, TheRussian" Obviously this is not a big deal but no other school has gone that extra step to make the applicants feel welcome. If everyone there is this nice, it must be a great place to study medicine.

Anyone else get their award letters today? After looking at mine, I think I'm definitely Dartmouth bound! :clap:

This has been mentioned before I just want to reiterate how nice they are to accepted students. I just got the letter confirming that they recieved my response indicating my "commitment to enter Dartmouth Medical School" and under Andrew Welch's signuture he wrote "Excellent! Welcome, TheRussian" Obviously this is not a big deal but no other school has gone that extra step to make the applicants feel welcome. If everyone there is this nice, it must be a great place to study medicine.

Yea, I think I've gotten something from them just about every day in the past week. It's nice to feel wanted after all the b/s we've gone through!

DMBUGA34 said:
Anyone else get their award letters today? After looking at mine, I think I'm definitely Dartmouth bound! :clap:

When did you submit your financial aid stuff? I only submitted mine on friday so I don't expect anything soon. Just like to know how long I should wait.

When did you submit your financial aid stuff?

Beginning of March, but they didn't look at anything until I got accepted. I called twice to make sure they had everything they needed, once as soon as I sent it, and again right after my acceptance. When I called after my acceptance, they made it sound as if they were getting ready to send out award letters to all those who had a complete file

Wow, if I'm correct than that means it took them only week/week and a half to put the package together. Sounds like I there is a good chance I'll hear before second look weekend.

Yes, I agree!

Dartmouth seems to be treating us well. Their second look weekend is timed just right, it seems to be very well organized, and I have to say I'm impressed with all of this correspondence. They made some of us wait an eternity to hear back from them, but in my case they couldn't have timed it any better... it's like that dating reality show, where the guy is dating two women simultaneously and trying to choose between them... and then enters, with ten minutes remaining in the program, the THIRD option. And there's usually something really wild or unique about her. I've watched too much television lately.

Anyway, I really feel like Dartmouth wants us there. Some schools absolutely hate to be contacted post interview for any reason whatsoever. They sort of give you the acceptance and then hibernate until May, when they start bugging you to make up your mind. Dartmouth seems to encourage communication. Their staff is extremely friendly and willing to bend over backwards for us. They concede that this is a "decision" for us to make and that we may still be weighing other options. At the same time, they are really selling the school to us, and if that doesn't make your head swell... :) I feel very comfortable with Dartmouth, BUT (big but)

I'm waiting for the packet; you know what I mean. If I get the same impression as DMBUGA34, then I'll have to dust off my hiking boots and fishing tackle. Perhaps learn how to ski.

I've got some options, but DMS is charming the hell out of me and, as the Million Dollar Man Ted Debiase once said, "Everybody's got a price." Hope they find mine. They're already processing awards for people accepted last week. Far out!

I am just taking a survey. I am going to the second look weekend. Those that recieved the itenerary know that the whole program takes place at DHMC. My problem is that I missed the tour of the school when I went for the interview because of travel plans. I'm planning on calling the school later this week to see if I could get a tour either before the beginning of the program on friday or after it ends on saturday.

My survey question is:

Is anyone else in the same boat and would also like a tour of the school?
If yes then would you prefer friday morning or saturday afternoon?

I took the tour and thought the facilities were pretty average, nothing flashy, nothing that stood out. I didn't get to see any of the labs, just the library, student lounge, and lecture halls. The lecture halls appear on the DVD they sent us. The first year lecture room is pretty big with small seats (but you get to spread your things out since many are empty), and has a little coffee shop outside. They made me a great bacon egg and cheese muffin the morning of my interview. I believe the second year lecture room was underground, more modern and each seat was comfortable and spacious. The library was fairly generic, just a brick building with books inside...I don't think we even went inside. The student lounge was small with a big TV, all I really remember about it were the basketball goals outside. They only had a couple of computers but that's because everyone has their own anyways.

DMS knows that their facilities are average, but the DHMC is awsome, so that's what they sell. The student lounge and the library at the Hitch were very nice. As far as places to study, there are many of those in the undergrad campus, some with very nice views.

That's all I really remember, I'm sure someone else can be more detailed.

Just wanted to post here that I got waitlisted at DMS today.
Anyone else?