Going to dental school with a 6 WEEKS old baby?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dream Creek

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys:

I have gotten into Dental school this round and are very excited about entering 2018. The issue is, I will have a 6 weeks old baby when school starts. Yes. 6 weeks not 6 months old. My husband will have 2 months bonding leave to take care of baby full time and My mom might be able to help (she still works full time). Is it crazy to think about going to dental school when baby is that young? Should I wait a year when baby is 1 year old?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Wait a year, if your school offers such option
If you absolutely have no other choice, then prepare a very good backup team:husband, parents, nannies and be ready to be physically and mentally exhausted with a guilt complex
Sorry for being blunt, I am not saying it is impossible, just hard

From my experience (as well as my wife), its doesn't really get any easier. Physical recovery is important, however after that, you'll have to figure out many aspects of taking care of a child no matter what stage of life you are in. I would say you should sit down with your husband and plan what is best for your family. This might mean going to school now or a year from now, however, the idea that things will somehow be easier, less complicated, or less crazy is not always true. I wish you be best of luck and congrats on your acceptance! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My brother started dental school and his baby was born during the third month of his schooling this year. He is making it and my family is helping with his wife. As far as his progress, he is doing fine albeit a bit homesick.
He is a man, OP is a woman.Huge difference

Reactions: 3 users
A close wise friend once told me... "if you can write a check for it, then it's not a problem".

As a student with a new born baby. That's going to feel like going to 2 dental schools in terms of time management. Hold off a year, you won't regret it. Unless you have the money to hire a nanny or get the support of a close family member who will still cost you money even if they say they won't need your money.

A close wise friend once told me... "if you can write a check for it, then it's not a problem".

As a student with a new born baby. That's going to feel like going to 2 dental schools in terms of time management. Hold off a year, you won't regret it. Unless you have the money to hire a nanny or get the support of a close family member who will still cost you money even if they say they won't need your money.

A live in nanny is one of the options, I am willing to put out the money but it's tricky to find a reliable one for your baby...

A live in nanny is one of the options, I am willing to put out the money but it's tricky to find a reliable one for your baby...
It's going to brake her heart to leave a month old baby with a stranger. Not to mention the breastfeeding issues
Unless she is admitted to only one school, which doesn't offer the deferment, then

It's going to brake her heart to leave a month old baby with a stranger. Not to mention the breastfeeding issues
Unless she is admitted to only one school, which doesn't offer the deferment, then

I am not planning on breast feeding, but who knows if I still feel that way when baby comes... also luckily I got 5 schools to choose from so hopefully at least one will give me a deferment. Sounds like defer a year is a smarter choice for me , especially if I want to ace school to prepare future specializing.

I am not planning on breast feeding, but who knows if I still feel that way when baby comes... also luckily I got 5 schools to choose from so hopefully at least one will give me a deferment. Sounds like defer a year is a smarter choice for me , especially if I want to ace school to prepare future specializing.
Good choice. This will allow you to enjoy your baby. Isn’t that why we are having them?
Try to rethink not to breastfeed. You will give your baby a very good start, if you do

Good luck! Deferring a year would be preferential! And as for breastfeeding, do whatever you are comfortable, breast, formula, or pump and bottle! However, before you discount breastfeeding altogether, just know that every baby is so different and breastfeeding may come easy to you both. (I wish that was the case for both of my kids!)

Good luck and hope you have a healthy pregnancy!