Going to EVMS in a few days...any Tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

varunner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first interview and I was just wondering if anyone had some advice about the EVMS interview process. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

read up on all of the ethics questions on the interview feedback, know the basics of healthcare policy, and make sure u let them know that you're a good decision maker and that u care about people :thumbup: . beyond that, just make sure to be yourself and relax. the panel interview isn't as intimidating as it sounds. be sure to give all interviewers attention tho cuz u dont know which one is the adcom. good luck!

i interviewed at evms and absolutely loved it! they were really quick at making a decision on my application because it's been less than two weeks since my interview, and i found that i was accepted, so i'm stoked. the panel interview can be scary, but really it's not so bad. my interviewers were all really great. they were so laid back and genuinely interested in getting to know me. the big thing about evms is the ethics questions, but read over the university of washington bioethics website, and you'll be fine. evms takes a very patient-centered approach to medicine, so they are looking for those types of responses in applicants' answers to the ethics questions. make sure you know how you would fix the healthcare system, you will most likely be asked that question. good luck!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have the address for the university of washington bioethics website?

umm.. don't go?

Hey everyone, thank you so much for the tips! I'll definately be reading up on my ethics at the UWash website. Also, I found another good site for ethics from the AMA, just do a google search for virtual mentor. Also, I've heard at EVMS they do a mock patient diagnosis or something like that. Anybody know anything more about this?

I think I know what you're talking about... they use "Standardized patients." Where a patient just acts like they have a particular problem, and you ave to ask the right questions to get them to talk to you.

And I think that I might have a copy of they're interview evaulation sheet somewhere... don't quote me on that tho. They gave them out @ this program that I attended last spring. I don't think you have anything to worry about tho... It is such a cool school, and the faculty is pretty friendly and laid-back. And the students are great. I'm sure you're going to love it.

PM me if you have anymore questions.

GOOD LUCK!!!

I think I know what you're talking about... they use "Standardized patients." Where a patient just acts like they have a particular problem, and you ave to ask the right questions to get them to talk to you.

And I think that I might have a copy of they're interview evaulation sheet somewhere... don't quote me on that tho. They gave them out @ this program that I attended last spring. I don't think you have anything to worry about tho... It is such a cool school, and the faculty is pretty friendly and laid-back. And the students are great. I'm sure you're going to love it.

PM me if you have anymore questions.

GOOD LUCK!!!

I had a different interview experience. The panel was not "laid back." I had one female doctor shooting questions at me from the minute I walked in the door. She really reminded me of a drill sergeant. Anything I said she had a reason why I was wrong. The first question I got asked was "What are you even doing here? You're not from here, why would you want to go to this school?" and it was not asked in a nice "why this school" typical type of way. She never smiled, and barely gave me a chance to answer before she went on to another question. The other interviewers were nice, but didn't get much of a chance to talk. I'm not saying the interview went badly, but just be prepared that they might really try to challenge you with the questions (and at times, I feel like this particular physician was really just trying to push me until I broke). Again, not trying to scare you or anything, but I went in there thinking it would be pretty relaxed and was unpleasantly surprised :(

yeah they do play good cop, bad cop. But my experience wasn't as bad as you took yours. One of my interviewers would cut me off and ask me another scenerio trying to get me to change my answer, but if you just stick with your guns, give a thought out answer and are sure of your self you'll do fine.

I had a different interview experience. The panel was not "laid back." I had one female doctor shooting questions at me from the minute I walked in the door. She really reminded me of a drill sergeant. Anything I said she had a reason why I was wrong. The first question I got asked was "What are you even doing here? You're not from here, why would you want to go to this school?" and it was not asked in a nice "why this school" typical type of way. She never smiled, and barely gave me a chance to answer before she went on to another question. The other interviewers were nice, but didn't get much of a chance to talk. I'm not saying the interview went badly, but just be prepared that they might really try to challenge you with the questions (and at times, I feel like this particular physician was really just trying to push me until I broke). Again, not trying to scare you or anything, but I went in there thinking it would be pretty relaxed and was unpleasantly surprised :(

We may have had the same interviewer :laugh: I had a very similar experience but I adjusted to it after a few minutes and things went pretty smoothly. I had one interviewer doing as you described and the other more or less observing me and taking notes, occassionally asking a question with some follow-ups. The adversarial nature of the discussion at some points really makes the time go by. Before I knew it, it was my turn to ask them about the school and such (which I tried to drag out a little to enjoy the more conversational style at the end). There really wasn't a whole lot of time just for me to talk about myself as a candidate and why I thought I would be a good fit for the school. But I found out later that my interview went well, so all I can say is be prepared, be yourself, and back up your views.

You guys are fantastic :) I think its time now to go over the healthcare system, read some ethics articles, and read up on EVMS. Thanks so much for the help! Hopefully I'll get an acceptance letter in the mail sometime this month :)