This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Albanian24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a difficult situation (a good kind of difficult, though).

As of now, I have been blessed enough to have been accepted to 4 MD schools, 2 of which I would happily attend. I have interviewed at 6 others, and am waiting to hear back from them. For this, I am extremely grateful.

I have a few remaining interviews at schools that would require airfare/long drive. These are schools I am unlikely to attend if accepted (but you never know).

I have heard that if you receive good aid/grants at one school, you can possibly use that as leverage at an equal level but more-preferred school.

My question is this: should I attend these upcoming interviews with the hope of potentially receiving a strong aid package, which I could then use to leverage at a school I prefer? Money is tight, but I see it as an investment of sorts, where I can (hopefully) save money later on.

Pros of going: The school may exceed my expectations, possibility of good aid/scholarships

Cons: Time and money.

I sincerely appreciate all insight. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

there was a thread few days ago about the same topic Should you attend every interview?

@Goro would say "It's a pre-med delusion that leverage comes from multiple accepts, unless one is a superstar. Attend more interviews IF there are schools you'd rather attend than your state school."

Reactions: 3 users
I have heard that if you receive good aid/grants at one school, you can possibly use that as leverage at an equal level but more-preferred school.

I heard once that on 1/1/2000 the computers were all going to crash and we would be thrust back into the Bronze Age as civilization crumbled around us. Turns out we both heard wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
there was a thread few days ago about the same topic Should you attend every interview?

@Goro would say "It's a pre-med delusion that leverage comes from multiple accepts, unless one is a superstar. Attend more interviews IF there are schools you'd rather attend than your state school."

Ah, thanks. It seems as though there is conflicting information. Perhaps the leveraging doesn't work, but one school may still give better aid which would make it seem more desirable.

I heard once that on 1/1/2000 the computers were all going to crash and we would be thrust back into the Bronze Age as civilization crumbled around us. Turns out we both heard wrong.

There are reports on SDN and of other students I know personally who have done this successfully.

How much will it cost to attend these, how much is your time worth, and what are you hoping realistically to gain by taking the gamble? If you spend an extra $2000 and get nothing, you’ll have wasted a lot of time and effort. If it pays off great; but this is very unlikely. It’s not a wise investment in my opinion.

Has it ever happened? Sure maybe someone says so, but it isn’t like you can wheel and deal like you’re buying a car.

Merit-based or need based aid varies between schools, and med schools are under no obligation to provide a financial aid package before the deadline to choose an acceptance and withdraw from the others.

One of the school's I interviewed at specifically told us if you have a better aid package at another school, supply proof, and they may match it.