Going to med school at UCLA from Canada. Can I eventually go back home to practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigBaller1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to a few schools from the states and I'm seriously considering going. I just want to know how the process of gaining my license back in Canada might work out. And how hard the process will be.

Thanks,

B.B.

Members don't see this ad.

You're first match in CARMS if you want to do residency in Canada. If you do residency in the US, it will vary state by state or province by province but I don't think it's that hard. Like if you wanted to do PEDS, which is longer in Canada, you'd do a year of supervised practice when you returned but it's very doable. Congrats! I would choose the school you most want to attend.

US MD is second only to Canadian MD in the grand scheme of things. If you have applied to both US and Canada and were accepted only to the US then go for it (if you can afford it). Generally, if you want to practice in Canada, a Canadian medical school will give you a easier (and cheaper) path, but the degree is highly variable. I assume if you have multiple US acceptances you also gave Canada a reasonable shot so go for it. Go full into the USMLE though cause you can apply for both CaRMS and the US match and increase your overall chances. Use your elective blocks to do rotations in your desired field in Canada to get facetime and LORs from Canadian physicans.