Going to Med school early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hallm_7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are programs available that you apply for med school after your sophomore year? I go to a small school, so there's no med school associated with it, and it's private so it's not in a public school system. Any chance at all? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

if you finish all of of the med school requirements early, there's nothing (for most schools, I think) that says you must spend 4 years in college or even that you need to get your degree.

I heard of one guy at my school who was accepted the summer between his soph and junior year to Baylor, I believe. Not sure how he did that.

You need atleast 90 credit hours of academic work, and that too iss considered under special or exceptional circumstances. Most matriculants have a bachelors degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools won't do it. I have heard about people going to med school after their junior year. So these people would apply at the end of their sophemore year

Check the websites of schools you are interested in.
Most schools fall under one of two categories in terms of pre-matriculation requirements:

1) 90 hours of University work including prereqs
2) A bachelors degree including prereqs

Even the schools that will take people from 1) rarely matriculate anyone without a degree.