Going to NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D.R.HiFlo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ALL,

I received my first acceptance(albeit conditional). I'll be startiong this summer at NYCOM through their basic sciences
program. If I pass this program then I can matriculate into the medical program.

I'd like to hear from anyone that will be starting this fall.

Good luck to those that are still waiting for that first positive letter.

------------------

Members don't see this ad.

It's a program designed to admit more underrepresented minority students to NYCOM, I believe. So the accepted students go to NYCOM for the summer, do some courses (I think Gross, Biochem, etc.), and if they successfully pass, they're admitted to the Fall medical class.

W.

I think one of the conditions is that the student has to swim from one side of the swamp pond to the other.
-your most murky Liquid

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as places to swim go, there is no pool at the new gym they just built, but one could always wait for some rain and hang out in the basement of NYCOM III. On a good monsoony day, there is enough water to get some decent butterfly strokes in.

if you are black/puetorican/mexican/native american, DO apply to NYCOM, they take those students in even with a 15-19 MCAT and below 3.0 GPA.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by PuppyLuv:
if you are black/puetorican/mexican/native american, DO apply to NYCOM, they take those students in even with a 15-19 MCAT and below 3.0 GPA.

Umm. You seem to be implying that minorities ,like myself(Mex/American), do not do very well on the MCAT and that we perform poorly in college. Quite a presumption you are making. Let me tell you a little about myself. I am a clinical pharmacist with over 13 years of experience. I did poorly in undergrad and pharmacy school through every fault of my own. I decided to go back to school two years ago and take courses at a major university. My performance in these courses have been rather good(GPA~3.85). As far as my MCAT scores, let me just say that I did NOT score lower than an 8 on any section. I managed to do all of this while working full-time and caring for a family. What's more I even did some research in a molecular bio lab. While we know that the summer program is geared towards attracting minorities into the program, I do believe that ALL applicants must meet high academic standards before they are offered admission. I think the fact that my performance in undergrad & pharm school was mediocre affected my chances of matriculating into the program without condition. I am grateful for this opportunity that I have been given. Like many many schools, I feel that their decision to offer me admission was influenced by my leadership,interpersonal skills,healthcare experience,communication skills, and committment to helping others.

Good luck to you in medical school. BTW if you happen to be struggling with that aminoglycoside dose or need any drug related information on rounds, do not hesitate to ask the "minority" resident. He/she might have the answer for you are looking for.

[This message has been edited by D.R.HiFlo (edited March 23, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by D.R.HiFlo (edited March 23, 2001).]

D.R.HiFlo, I think you're taking that last post the wrong way. As I am highly familiar with the NYCOM program, I can tell you that NYCOM gives preference to minority students, even those with lower MCATs and GPAs, so I think the last post was trying to say that if you have low scores and are having a hard time getting in, apply to NYCOM because they provide the opportunity to attend med school to those with lower stats who are underrepresented and/or disadvantaged.

I don't think the last post was meant as an insult.