SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Going to PCOM in the Fall?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by roger2004, Jan 17, 2000.

1. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 15, 1999
    New Jersey
    Does PCOM use a pass/fail system or grades? Anyone have details on the clinical rotations done in the 3rd and 4th years and the residency program? I haven't been able to get much more than general information from the brochure and site. Is there somewhere I could get a list of the rotations offered (and the courses offered for that matter?) and the types and locations of residencies the students do after graduation?.
    What would you say is the strongest advantage/benefit PCOM offers its students?
    I also like NOVA, and of course my state school, but since I hope to practice in the northeast, PCOM has gotten my ATTENTION. Thanks

------------------

rog

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. jdg

jdg

rog-
    I don't think you interviewed yet, but at the interview, you can pick up a pamphlet detailing the coursework of the 1st and 2nd years. Here is the course listing (by the way, PCOM runs on a trimester schedule):

1st year:
    T1-Primary Care Skills(PCS), Principles and Practice of Osteopathic Medicine(OPP), Human Anatomy.
    T2-PCS, OPP, Molecular & Cellular Basis of Medicine, Fundamentals of Biomedicine.
    T3-PCS, OPP, Cardiovascular Medicine, Pulmonary-Respiratory Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Microbiologic Basis of Medicine.

2nd year:
    T1-PCS, OPP, Renal/Nephrology/Urogenital Sciences, Obsterics/Gynecology/Reproductive Sciences, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, Geriatrics, Essentials of General Surgery.
    T2-PCS, OPP, Otolaryngology & Opthamology, Clinical and Basic Neurosciences, Essentials of General Surgery, Diagnostic Radiology.
    T3-PCS, OPP, Oncological Sciences, Pediatrics, Special Considerations in Primary Patient Care, Medicine and Society.

The pamphlet gives a brief description of what is covered in each class where it is not obvious. I'm pretty sure its not pass/fail, but the traditional High Pass,Pass,etc.

Hope this helps a little. Anymore questions, feel free to ask me anytime. I'll try to help where I can, as I am just learning about this stuff as well.

------------------
    JDG
    PCOM 2004

[This message has been edited by jdg (edited 01-17-2000).]

4. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 15, 1999
    New Jersey
    Jdg
    Thanks - GREAT information. Trimesters - Looks like they try to ease you into it to avoid MS1 overload. Not using a numerical grade for courses is also good. We all know we must master the material for the boards etc, but it just takes a bit of the pressure off. I guess when I go for the interview I'll get more questions answered. Sounds Good. Good luck and thanks again!

------------------

rog