Going to pharmacy school will be the worse financial choice of your life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How do you feel about the incoming 2020 burting of the pharmacy employment bubble

• I will sadly work as a pharmacist for less than 50,000 USD if i am lucky enough to find work.

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • I will be unemployed but at least i will be a 'doctor'

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • I will change majors avoiding financial ruin

Votes: 9 25.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Haha ... all too true.
My problem is that I forget how to run the cash register and sometimes ring up candy under RX.....Pretty fast at shoveling snow out of the drive up too....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I've been following these forums for a while and I couldn't be more thankful for all of the advice given by most of the people who get ragged on for their "pessimistic" views. I was not very motivated to begin with and researching this profession and working as a pharm tech at least allowed me to come to my senses. Since I've still got the time, I've switched my major to computer science and have actually been thoroughly enjoying it. It's not easy, but at least critically thinking and using my brain has been way more interesting and fun than just memorizing and regurgitating a bunch of information.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I've been following these forums for a while and I couldn't be more thankful for all of the advice given by most of the people who get ragged on for their "pessimistic" views. I was not very motivated to begin with and researching this profession and working as a pharm tech at least allowed me to come to my senses. Since I've still got the time, I've switched my major to computer science and have actually been thoroughly enjoying it. It's not easy, but at least critically thinking and using my brain has been way more interesting and fun than just memorizing and regurgitating a bunch of information.

We saved at least one, our work is done.

Anyone who can be a pharmacy tech and still have a desire to be a pharmacist amazes me. That job was so incredibly boring.

That's pretty good.

I honestly do believe that going to pharmacy school is a bad idea.

That doesn't change that I think Humble Sloth is just a bottom of the barrel pharmacist in a **** state. LOL.

That's pretty good.

I honestly do believe that going to pharmacy school is a bad idea.

That doesn't change that I think Humble Sloth is just a bottom of the barrel pharmacist in a **** state. LOL.

What is the barrel?

What is the barrel?
Yeah..I wonder about that too......You can be a pharmaceutical genius. But if you get hung out at one of these big chains it won't matter if you are the Albert Einstein of Rx flogging. In my state the Pharmacy Society is PUSHING tech-check-tech for "professional" reasons......big and little chains are cutting hours....I pick up meds for a family member at a "health system" phcy and as of a couple of months ago...two techs are present at the physical location...and the RPH is jumping to multiple locations via video hookup to ask "you got any questions?" I still predict that a Pharm D. will work out for maybe 10% of the students starting now.

Tired of people trying to scare others with all these "projections" and "research" they conduct. Every job faces some level of saturation, the point is you need to compete with others, that's how the real world works. Plenty of pharmacy jobs in the East coast, especially in more rural areas. The question is are you willing to travel and live in areas that you do not prefer but are willing to go to anyways to get a start?

Tired of people trying to scare others with all these "projections" and "research" they conduct. Every job faces some level of saturation, the point is you need to compete with others, that's how the real world works. Plenty of pharmacy jobs in the East coast, especially in more rural areas. The question is are you willing to travel and live in areas that you do not prefer but are willing to go to anyways to get a start?

From a while ago:

I don;t see pharmacists ever dropping to 75K/year. That would suck and no one would want to be a pharmacist anymore

I think you have been in denial, and I'm surprised that you still are even after been in school for the last 2-3 years. The job market, even BLS projections have gotten much worse since you started pharmacy school with the projected growth rate revised down to 3% over the next 10 years.

Reactions: 1 users
Wish i saw and researched all about this earlier...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

From a while ago:

I think you have been in denial, and I'm surprised that you still are even after been in school for the last 2-3 years. The job market, even BLS projections have gotten much worse since you started pharmacy school with the projected growth rate revised down to 3% over the next 10 years.

Yup these are facts, people should visit the site and see for themselves

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

two techs are present at the physical location...and the RPH is jumping to multiple locations via video hookup to ask "you got any questions?"

STOLE my idea
Wonder who got paid, and their background

I graduated in 2013, and every doom-sayer I've ever met has been a terrible pharmacist panicking about their future.
It's not that bad, even in Austin.

I WAS WRONG IT'S SUPER BAD

SEND HELP

Reactions: 3 users
Pharmacy is a high risk, low return profession. You risk $200k+ in loans and 4 years of your life. If you end up being one of the best or luckiest pharmacists? You complete a PGY2 and land that unicorn dream job only to be paid less than a retail pharmacist. You end up being unlucky or plain terrible? Unemployment or per diem hours for you, or if you're a bit lucky you land a gig 1,500 miles away from friends and family in the middle of nowhere that you cling onto desperately so that you can earn an income to pay off your loans.

Reactions: 1 users
Pharmacy is a high risk, low return profession. You risk $200k+ in loans and 4 years of your life. If you end up being one of the best or luckiest pharmacists? You complete a PGY2 and land that unicorn dream job only to be paid less than a retail pharmacist. You end up being unlucky or plain terrible? Unemployment or per diem hours for you, or if you're a bit lucky you land a gig 1,500 miles away from friends and family in the middle of nowhere that you cling onto desperately so that you can earn an income to pay off your loans.

Yet somehow class sizes are still full. No wonder the student loan market is thriving, so many uninformed fools.

Parents need to be more engaged with their kids on career choice nowadays especially with internet and data so easily obtainable. As a parent and pharmacist, there is no way on earth i'd ever let my kids touch pharmacy.