Going to retake the mcat and really really need help this time!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wsc2879

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys. I am in a really difficult situation right now and do need some suggestions. I used the EK review books to go over the mcat. I thought I reviewed well until i started to do the online practice test.... I scored pretty badly except in PS section, and constantly scored between 26 to 30!!!! I thought the questions on the examkcraker is harder than the real test, but when i saw the online tests, i realized there are totally different ball games. The passages are different and i didnt get the basics down cold. Also, I think the EK is not detailed enough.

I plan to retake it in june or july, and i really need to get this right!!! I think about using the EK 1001 series to get my basics down (I did go over the EK books multiple times, another content review would waste my time and i dont think I have much time. I could quickly go over the BR or Kaplan books). Then I will use the passages in BR to practice. About the verbal, I have the EK 101 and i am trying to find the princeton verbal, too. Also I would supplement them with some magazine article readings. Since English is not my first language, this one would be hard for me.

I found the method that Kaplan used to dissect the passages is really helpful when I read the Kaplan 45. I think I will use their method to do the passages.

I would devote at least 40 hours a week before my graduation in may to review mcat, and spend a month to study it everyday. I hope it will be enough.... I really really need to get it right this time and not waste my time again. Please give me some suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Really analyze your post-game, and focus in on why you were not successful at answering more questions correctly. You cited not getting down the basics. Make sure that you get that down pat. To do so, make sure you can answer the simplest questions in the sciences, and can explain what concepts and ideas mean to another person.

In your post game analysis, go over correct and incorrect questions, and make sure you understand the logic behind the correct answer. At times you may have lucked out and guessed the question correctly. But you want to be able to nail down the majority of questions because you understood and applied the concepts, and not guessed, or lucked out.

In your preparation you must work on understanding concepts as well as time management. For this, you should work through problems untimed. Take as long as you need to find the right answer, and once you do, move on to the next. Go back to fix some questions if you need. That is okay in this stage.

In the next stage, you can work through problems untimed, but this time, there is no second-guessing. This means that you may not go back to your questions once you have answered. The answers have been entered for your post-game analysis, and that is why you can't change them. Then you can figure out why you got the question right or wrong.

The next stage is under a time pressure. Give yourself 5 minutes more than the alotted time and work through practice items. Then lower the extra time to 3 minutes, and work through practice items. Then drop it to 2 extra minutes and remain here for a bit longer, then drop the extra time to 1 minute, then reduce the time you have available to 2 minutes less, before moving to standard test conditions for timing.

I am wondering how long you guys spend on studying mcat per day for 3 months?

Members don't see this ad :)
OK so I am wondering if there is an instruction on how to read and do the science passages on the site? I know there are the tips to the verbal session stick to the top of the forum, which is really helpful.

OK so I am wondering if there is an instruction on how to read and do the science passages on the site? I know there are the tips to the verbal session stick to the top of the forum, which is really helpful.

My suggestion would be to read them and then answer the questions.

You do realize there are tips for verbal because you can't use prior knowledge to answer the questions right?

My suggestion would be to read them and then answer the questions.

You do realize there are tips for verbal because you can't use prior knowledge to answer the questions right?

I do realize that, however, i had the tendency of reading every detail of the passage, which takes me long time and by the end i wont remember everything.

i just read the kaplan book, it divides the passages into three categories: informative, experimental and persuasive, and said that the test taker should skim through the informative one, read the different experiments carefully, and read and contrast the different hypothesis carefully.

I think it is really helpful and the mapping technique is helpful too. I am trying to find more of this.

P.S. : the mistake I made was that i thought the mcat is like the tests i have taken before. i did fair amount of the content review. However, when i started to do the practice tests two weeks before the test date, I found the test is different than i thought. I spent too much time on the detail of the passages instead of main point, and constantly scored 26-30 on the practice tests. I overestimated my ability too much, and thought it wouldnt take too much to study for mcat. I need to correct this soon and do another cycle of review and practice to nail the mcat in june or july, so i could apply for med school this cycle.

Last edited: