This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobbyMobby

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm currently in college in US, I'm planning to go to Sapienza di Roma medical school(English program).
1) can I start working in hospitals after receiving "doctor and surgery degree" or like US I need to do something like residency in order to be able to properly start working?

2) If I receive my degree in Italy, can I become specialized in another European country like UK(planning to do neurosurgery)?

3) Can I work in other European countries after receiving my degree?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you dont have EU citizenship this is a terrible idea. Neurosurgery? Haha great troll post I hope

Reactions: 1 user
Hello BobbyMobby,

I will try to answer you, but maybe there will be someone more qualified who can provide you with even more precise answers.
1) can I start working in hospitals after receiving "doctor and surgery degree" or like US I need to do something like residency in order to be able to properly start working?
First of all, you must change your visas status from student to work visas. Visas conditions are different for every country, so depends to which country you wish to go. Generally speaking, Diploma from Italy is recognised in every country of European union, so getting job at hospital should be possible (of course, getting specific job position may require specific qualification)
2. If I receive my degree in Italy, can I become specialized in another European country like UK(planning to do neurosurgery)?
Yes, thanks to Bologna process, countries recognised qualification obtained in other countries.
3. Can I work in other European countries after receiving my degree?
Yes, but you must check concrete directives / laws for given country.