Going to SGU during August or January?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference in entering SGU in August vs. January? Any advantages or disadvantages to either?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, there is a difference between starting January vs August. If you start in January you will enter the match with the August class after you and you will enter the match with that class and not the august class before you. The advantages are that you do have more time to study for your boards and you have much more flexibility for your electives during your fourth year.

Hope this helps.

Hi, there is a difference between starting January vs August. If you start in January you will enter the match with the August class after you and you will enter the match with that class and not the august class before you. The advantages are that you do have more time to study for your boards and you have much more flexibility for your electives during your fourth year.

Hope this helps.

hey Javad
ive seen your posts from time to time so i was wondering if i could ask you couple of questions

can i ask which school you go to? do you think I have a chance at SGU with 3.8 GPA and mcat of 19 and lots and lots of extra-curricular?
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi UBCvan: i actually attended sgu. you have pretty good GPA ,I know a lot of times people always ask about there chances of getting in. I think you should go ahead and apply because the admission committee looks at the whole application. I say go ahead and apply and they will review your application specially if you have good extra-curricular activities.How many times did you take the MCATs?

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Hi UBCvan: i actually attended sgu. you have pretty good GPA ,I know a lot of times people always ask about there chances of getting in. I think you should go ahead and apply because the admission committee looks at the whole application. I say go ahead and apply and they will review your application specially if you have good extra-curricular activities.How many times did you take the MCATs?

Hope this helps

I took it only once....meanwhile i was waiting for your reply i emailed Bob Ryan from SGU and asked him about my chances...he replied and said go ahead and apply now but you have to write the mcat again...meanwhile you are writing it we arrange an interview and until we get your final mcat mark we wont make a final decision.....he said that I have to at least get a 23/24.

whats weird is that there was an open house in my city from SGU where he said that 30% of SGU students have mcat of less than 24.

so I'm not sure he really means "at least 23/24" or he doesnt want to keep my hopes high.

Hi UBCvan:

Honestly do not go too deep into all the percentages, study hard for your MCAT and try to get the highest mark you can, because if you set your mind on getting a 23 or 24 , trust me you will score much less. DO a lot of practice tests and only take the exam when you really feel ready.