Going to the residency Socials??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redheadmed13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am wondering what kind of hit I will take if I don't go to very many of these?? So far I've scheduled way too many interviews (16..must cut back), some are back to back. I'm doing full time research right now and I have a 3 month old baby at home who I have to leave for all these. Sometimes staying the night of the interview is just not a possibility.

How do you think I should approach this? Mention I'd really like to go, but can't travel wise. I don't want to mention the baby (think it might scare them off..having reproduced and all lol). Anyway, I won't be able to go to some of the socials at my top choices, any ideas?!?!? I want them to know I really am interested.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am wondering what kind of hit I will take if I don't go to very many of these?? So far I've scheduled way too many interviews (16..must cut back), some are back to back. I'm doing full time research right now and I have a 3 month old baby at home who I have to leave for all these. Sometimes staying the night of the interview is just not a possibility.

How do you think I should approach this? Mention I'd really like to go, but can't travel wise. I don't want to mention the baby (think it might scare them off..having reproduced and all lol). Anyway, I won't be able to go to some of the socials at my top choices, any ideas?!?!? I want them to know I really am interested.

I would cut some of your interviews back and make them a higher priority unless you aren't into socializing. It is a great time to see what residents are like and get a feel for the program. I learned a lot for the socials I attended and think they are just as valuable as the interview day. They also play into your matching at a program. I don't care what any residency tells you...if you go to the social and are a jack ass it will get around, likewise if you are super cool it will probably get around as well. Don't come to a social and try to be super funny or act other than yourself just to make an impression, but it does count at some level. Remember these interviews are opportunities to see if you "fit" with the program. As great as a program may seem and as much as you want to go there, if "you" don't fit the program may not be that great for you personally. For example, one program I went do didn't have a social. The only interaction you got with the residents was during the interview day lunch hour in a very sterile environment when you were all dressed up in suits. That program wasn't for me if that is how their social life functions! Another great program had a couple of R2s that were going to be senior residents my intern year that were so annoying and full of themselves that made me actually rank the program a bit lower because i would have to work with them. It is about what works for you. If you're single and everyone is married with kids or vice versa, the program may not be for you. Missing all these socials is probably not in your best interest and I would reconsider it.

I'd try and atleast go the the socials for the programs that are right now near the top of your list. As mentioned, they are important especially if you are definitely considering that program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be curious to hear from some of the people on this site who recently have been through the match if they think 16 is "way too many interviews". As the specialty ages, it seems like every year the bar is getting higher. I'm not trying to scare or belittle you...just want to ensure you give yourself the best opportunity for matching. You'd hate to not match and then wish you hadn't cut back on the number of interviews.

For disclosure, I matched in 2002. It was a competitive match then and from reading these forums, it sounds like it has become significantly harder.

Good luck this season and congrats on the latest addition to your family!

(Oh yeah, about your initial question....I agree with the previous posters. If you can make it, I'd also recommend going to the meet-and-greets the night before. I think you learn a lot about the various areas and programs in that manner. If it's a program you're very interested in, strongly consider making the time to go....you've worked very hard towards your career and you want to give yourself the best possible chance at matching at one of your top places.)

I'm very much looking forward to going to a few of these; and although I'm sure that "business casual" is the rule for dress, I have to ask: tie or no tie ?

Whaddaya think?

I'm very much looking forward to going to a few of these; and although I'm sure that "business casual" is the rule for dress, I have to ask: tie or no tie ?

Whaddaya think?

Definitely no tie. :)

No tie. I'm a bit on the casual side (West-coaster), I typically wore a polo shirt with nice jeans and never felt out of place.

I agree with crewmaster1 on both responses. I went on 12 interviews last year and in the end felt that 12 was too much. I had an average step 1 score and a good step 2 score and had no problems. Unless otherwise specified, jeans and a polo shirt are more than appropriate.

I would highly recommend going to the dinner the night before, especially to the ones that you think will be ranked high. We all understand if you can't make it, but it makes a huge difference if you are there. Everyone has a say in whether or not you will be getting into the residency. If I can say that I met you the night before and you were down to earth, fun to talk to, and seemed like you could keep your cool while working next to me you will have a one up compared to the person that didn't show up.

And my last word of advice. You have to remember that you are interviewing these programs too. You will be working with these people for atleast the next 3 years. The more opportunities you have to talk with them and get to know them the better informed your decision will be.

Like other people have said, try to go to the dinners that your schedule allows you to make, especially if it's a place you are really interested in. They are a lot of fun and the residents will fill you in on some of the inside info on the program that you may not get the next day. They'll also tell you about the interview process you'll be going through, the faculty, etc. Helps to prepare you for the interview. But don't stress if there's a few you can't make due to scheduling. Many of my interviewers flat out asked me at the beginning of the interview if I was able to attend the social. I think it was just making conversation, but you never know. Nice-casual dress, no tie.

I would cut some of your interviews back and make them a higher priority unless you aren't into socializing. It is a great time to see what residents are like and get a feel for the program. I learned a lot for the socials I attended and think they are just as valuable as the interview day. They also play into your matching at a program. I don't care what any residency tells you...if you go to the social and are a jack ass it will get around, likewise if you are super cool it will probably get around as well. Don't come to a social and try to be super funny or act other than yourself just to make an impression, but it does count at some level. Remember these interviews are opportunities to see if you "fit" with the program. As great as a program may seem and as much as you want to go there, if "you" don't fit the program may not be that great for you personally. For example, one program I went do didn't have a social. The only interaction you got with the residents was during the interview day lunch hour in a very sterile environment when you were all dressed up in suits. That program wasn't for me if that is how their social life functions! Another great program had a couple of R2s that were going to be senior residents my intern year that were so annoying and full of themselves that made me actually rank the program a bit lower because i would have to work with them. It is about what works for you. If you're single and everyone is married with kids or vice versa, the program may not be for you. Missing all these socials is probably not in your best interest and I would reconsider it.

I agree completely. It's in your interest to go if you have serious interest in a program. And definitely no tie! Have fun.

If you can go, go. You are not penalized for not going, but as others have said, this is your chance to see the "real" program and interact with the people who will be your collegues for the next 3 years.

Dress casual. Definitely no tie. Especially if you come down my way. Relax, have a good time. Order a beer if you want. At the same time, don't overindulge, tell dirty jokes, or be "that guy/gal". You're not at the interview, but the residents are still checking you out for good fit in the program. (I don't want some meathead working with me at 3 am when the dept is a zoo and it's go time)

Programs worth a dam# want to know about you-your background, your family, wife, kids etc. We're not going to hold it against you.

ps-anyone interviewing down my way-as usual, residents are hosting interview-ees to save you a hotel bill. PM me for details if you need 'em

definitely try to go. awesome chance to meet with the residents, see them at their usual selves. (good or bad)

i have had a lot of feedback, and it seems as if the social makes or breaks. for both sides.

we have had those that got sloppy drunk, one that fussed more with her phone and makeup than actually interacting with everyone else, the ones who were just "too much", or "not enough".

these little things do come out in the rank meetings.

On the flip side, from those that have matched, (and a few who did not) admitted that the social sold them (or not) on the program. It is when you realize that "yes, I can and want to work with these people". or not.

Having a baby at home is hard for many reasons.... mainly, you don't want to leave it. Totally understandable, I don't think I've ever known anyone that has an easy time with this. On the flipside, it IS only temporary and right now it's important for you to focus for the time being on residency. You need to adjust your priority list (at least with the research, fam is usually a first priority but you need to sacrifice a little right now. Remember: Temporary!) ;)

One of the top things my friends and I are looking at in a residency is the residents. Didactics are pretty much all the same, cafeteria, shifts, salary, most benefits, +/- a few perks here and there, blah blah blah. . . one of the most important things I think candidates put on the back burner is the residents. It's so important to go to these socials to see how your potential future colleagues act with eachother and towards you. I've had about 8 interviews so far, and the social has weight on my decision to keep a program in the ranking. I'm not a pro by any means, but just speaking from experience so far. Definitely try to go to as many as you can.

So far, 3 of the socials I've attended let me know right then and there that those residents were people I would not want to work with for the next 3 years, regardless of how "good" a program was.

The socials make or break it for me. I'm looking for some specific things. I'm sure the opposite it true, too. I want the match to work as it should. I want to be at the right place for both me and the program to which I match. If at all possible, I will attend every social for every interview.

Are there are any programs that DO NOT have pre-interview social events/receptions? Some of the programs I'm interviewing at did not say either way, and I've already gotten "surprised" by them telling me a couple of days ahead that there is a reception of some kind. Is it fair to assume that every program has a social the day before the interview, and to plan my travel schedule accordingly?

Are there are any programs that DO NOT have pre-interview social events/receptions? Some of the programs I'm interviewing at did not say either way, and I've already gotten "surprised" by them telling me a couple of days ahead that there is a reception of some kind. Is it fair to assume that every program has a social the day before the interview, and to plan my travel schedule accordingly?

St. John in Detroit does NOT have a preinterview social. They instead participate in a hospital wide dinner with a few attendings/residents/the PD at a country club, which already happened. Mmmm... filet.

Palmetto in Columbia, SC did not have a dinner when I interviewed. They took everyone out to lunch the day of the interview.

Just interviewed at palmetto, they have a dinner now.

What did you think of Palmetto?