Going to Ukraine or USA Med School consideration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesSon

Reaction score
I just finished my premed in Nigeria. And my career plan God's willing is to become a neurosurgeon in USA. I got admitted for fall at Dnipro medical institute Ukraine and it's cheap. While also, I got accepted at California University of Pennsylvania for undergrade degree which will make me get USA credit, couple with MCAT then apply USA med school. But my major challenges is, USA education is costly and Going to Ukraine might make it difficult in getting into neurosurgery residency in USA. But what I've been considering is, I read how several Doctors in USA from Nigeria in same condition with me work study to support part scholarship and some worth were able to get some financial aid. I'm totally confused, can you give me your thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Attending university in the US is very expensive. Getting into a US medical school is very difficult (only 43% of applicants succeed after making an application and many drop out prior to that point) and it is even more difficult for international students.
US medical schools are expensive. Unless a student's family is wealthy, most students borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars to complete mdical school.
As mentioned, a residency spot for neurosurgery training is difficult to obtain.

So, that's three points at which you may find yourself disappointed on the journey to an attending position in neurosurgery in the US.

Frankly, you might be better off training abroard, becoming a superstar neurosurgeon attending physician outside of the US and then applying for a neurosurgery residency or subspecialty fellowship in the US. It sucks to have to train a second time but that may be the only way to achieve your dream if it is at all acheivable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 user