Gold Humanism in Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sublimelvc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just told I was elected by my peers to the Arnold Gold Humanism in Medicine award. I was honored, but had never heard of it. Everyone is acting likes its a big deal - their website even goes as far as saying that some programs consider it equivalent to AOA.

I am applying to a competitive surgical sub-speciality and am a solid, but not outstanding applicant (not AOA).

Can someone please weigh in on what the significance of this award is? Should I email the 50 programs I applied to and let them know about this? Obviously I have already submitted to ERAS.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

It's a very big deal -- Congratulations!

This is probably not true at all programs, but at mine it's an almost guaranteed interview invitation, almost on par with AOA.

Congrats, OP!

You should probably check with your Dean's office first before contacting any programs - seems like many schools would include something like this in your MSPE letter, and yours might be one of them. And if you find out your school doesn't, go from there.

I was just told I was elected by my peers to the Arnold Gold Humanism in Medicine award. I was honored, but had never heard of it. Everyone is acting likes its a big deal - their website even goes as far as saying that some programs consider it equivalent to AOA.

I am applying to a competitive surgical sub-speciality and am a solid, but not outstanding applicant (not AOA).

Can someone please weigh in on what the significance of this award is? Should I email the 50 programs I applied to and let them know about this? Obviously I have already submitted to ERAS.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Congrats! Also, make sure that you know exactly what you have been awarded, if only so you don't accidentally misrepresent yourself to programs....the Gold Humanism in Medicine award can be different from the Gold Humanism Honor Society (GHHS, which is the one people usually compare to AOA as they are both honor societies). Both are associated with the Gold Foundation, thus the similar name. Either way, it's a great honor and you should definitely update programs/include it in your dean's letter.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the very kind words and the advice. It will, in fact, be stated on my MSPE. I was only concerned because I heard rumors that some program directors hardly look at the MSPE, if at all, and mainly just for the graphs. But I imagine it will be fine.

And to clarify, I didnt state it correctly in the OP. It is the GHHS.

Thanks again

I'd recommend not waiting for the MSPE to inform programs of this important addition to your application. We still have a month before I can look at those letters, and I'll be sending out interview invitations throughout that time. It won't do you much good if I find out Nov 1st but can only offer you wait list status instead of a confirmed spot.

I'd recommend not waiting for the MSPE to inform programs of this important addition to your application. We still have a month before I can look at those letters, and I'll be sending out interview invitations throughout that time. It won't do you much good if I find out Nov 1st but can only offer you wait list status instead of a confirmed spot.

Seconded. Don't wait for the MSPE...it might be in there or not. Inform schools about it now, it might make the difference between getting an interview now or getting your app dropped in the "will-rereview-later" (which might never get touched again) file/pile.

Congrats! Also, make sure that you know exactly what you have been awarded, if only so you don't accidentally misrepresent yourself to programs....the Gold Humanism in Medicine award can be different from the Gold Humanism Honor Society (GHHS, which is the one people usually compare to AOA as they are both honor societies). Both are associated with the Gold Foundation, thus the similar name.

I don't think there is a distinction per se between the Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism in Medicine Award (APG-HIM) and the GHHS. I think every recipient of any APG foundation award automatically becomes a member of the GHHS.

In my experience, shortly after I was awarded the APG-HIM award, I received an invitation (in addition to a username and password) to add my name and info to the GHHS database. And since then I get regular email correspondence from the GHHS.

One program director told me at an interview that they considered it AOA-equivalent. I'm not sure how many PDs think this way, however.

Just a heads up, at my school, they specifically say that the Gold Humanism Honor society is not based on academic merit but peer, resident, and attending nomination based on observed relationships with staff and patients (how you conduct yourself).

Just a heads up, at my school, they specifically say that the Gold Humanism Honor society is not based on academic merit but peer, resident, and attending nomination based on observed relationships with staff and patients (how you conduct yourself).

While AOA is based on academic merit, Gold Humanism is based on qualities other than academic merit but are otherwise highly desirable in a physician or physician-in-training.

The letter I received notifying me of the award didn't make any mention of academic merit. It went along the lines of "...I am pleased to inform you that you will be receiving The Arnold P. Gold Foundation's Humanism Award. You have been selected amongst your peers as an individual who has demonstrated outstanding humanism during your third year clerkships as evidenced by your compassionate treatment of patients, families, students and colleagues..." and so on.

While AOA has an academic merit component to it, there's plenty of touchy-feely crap and "who you know and who you blow" involved as well (I say this as an AOA member who has been part of selections as well).

They're both nice things to have on your CV, but neither of them will likely make or break your app.

I'm just saying they have different criteria. I have both and I feel really lucky to be walking into interviews with both.

I was just told I was elected by my peers to the Arnold Gold Humanism in Medicine award. I was honored, but had never heard of it.

See, this I don't understand - your classmates knew about it, but you didn't? You were completely oblivious? It's not like it's an obscure thing. What if you wanted to nominate someone (if you knew about it)?

I've never heard of this Gold Humanism in Medicine thing. I'm actually glad that something like this exists, though. I wonder whether they had this @my med school and/or residency.

I think the OP should inform prospective residency programs about this, since it can't hurt. I'm wondering how much surgical residencies would care about something like this, but it definitely can't hurt...would think it might help more for something like peds or IM, but for sure it cannot hurt his/her application.

Hmmm...interesting. It looks like there are 87 med schools that participate in this, so that leaves a lot who still aren't on board. It sounds like a nice concept, although I could easily see it becoming another competition among med students ("I'm nicer! No I'M nicer!!!") ...LOL.

I'm just saying they have different criteria. I have both and I feel really lucky to be walking into interviews with both.
The Gold Humanism Award is not the same as AOA, but is still an important recognition by one's med school peers. This is considered an "honor" at most med schools with which I am familiar, and should be included on your CV and ERAS application. How much "weight" will be placed on this probably depends on the program to which you apply. This is a relatively new recognition, so a lot of faculty won't be familiar with it. I suspect that residencies which have a primary care component (family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics) would be more likely to know about the award and its significance.

One program director told me at an interview that they considered it AOA-equivalent. I'm not sure how many PDs think this way, however.

Not many, according to the NRMP 2010 PD survey:

http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2010v3.pdf

That said, this is still a very noteworthy accomplishment that distinguishes you from your peers. Definitely notify your programs. I suspect, as more schools and residencies recognize the GHHS, it will gain more impact. Congratulations to the OP.

I think it is reasonable to drop an email to programs updating your application with the new award. Wouldn't make a huge deal of it but just a quick email if the program thinks it is fairly important they will add it to the application if they don't care so much you haven't lost anything.

At my medical school a lot of the people who got this were the same *******s who gamed the system for every other little award and CV addition (via reciprocal "nominations"). Not to say that's how it is at your program or to take away from your award, just that I am very iffy of an entirely subjective award based on the nomination by your peers (the vast majority of whome you've probably never worked with clinically).

Reactions: 1 users
I have met one assoc. PD who says there program recognizes this award as a big deal and interviews most/all people that have it.

At my medical school a lot of the people who got this were the same *******s who gamed the system for every other little award and CV addition (via reciprocal "nominations"). Not to say that's how it is at your program or to take away from your award, just that I am very iffy of an entirely subjective award based on the nomination by your peers (the vast majority of whome you've probably never worked with clinically).

No system is completely immune to gaming by dishonest people, which is sad. But awards, even the ever popular Nobel Prize have elements of subjectivity to it. In addition, most nominators have never met or worked with the nominee. Overall reputation, good or bad, plays a big role in medicine. So, just because an award is based on peer-nomination and has subjective elements doesn't necessarily make the award "iffy".

There is actually a paper on Pubmed on the influence of the award on residency.

Also, what if you have to write an essay to accompany the peer nominations explaining how you intended to live out the values of GHHS or motivate others to do so? Essentially "checking" yourself

Sounds like a huge popularity contest

Sounds like a huge popularity contest

Over the past decade or so, many schools (including mine!) implemented a vote system for AOA as well. Which is why it’s impact has dwindled over the years during application season.

Reactions: 1 user