Gold Standard Board Review

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by tonem, Dec 12, 2000.

1. tonem

tonem Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

If anyone has had any experience with the "Gold Standard" audio tapes for Step 1 review, I would appreciate any feedback you might have to offer...thanks.

2. I purchased the tapes whne they first came out and I can't say I'd recommend them. While they are a unique and more interesting way to learn than reading, there are some problems:

- there are mistakes on the tapes, several of them

- perhaps more importantly, lots of time is wasted on low yield topics

- the material is not balanced properly for Step 1; there are about 5 tapes on anemias and 2 on pharmacology

- the quality of some the tapes is bad; on a couple I could hardly hear the reader even with the volume turned all the way up and others had annoying hisses and cracks in the background

- some of the readers mispronounce words, which for an a**l type like me, really drives me to distraction (and besides is unprofessional)

- not all of the tapes came with notes to accompany them

- some of the topics are endlessly repeated, which might help you learn them, but perhaps at the expense of including other topics

I prefer the tapes which are read by the originator of the series; his voice is well modulated and easy to listen to. Inquire how the tapes have changed since they first came out - present them with this list of complaints from a former customer and see how they respond. I did get a listen to some of the clinical tapes and they seem better and more relevant but I was reluctant to purchase them after the disappointment of the Step 1 tapes.

Hope this helps.

3. I purchased the tapes whne they first came out and I can't say I'd recommend them. While they are a unique and more interesting way to learn than reading, there are some problems:

- there are mistakes on the tapes, several of them

- perhaps more importantly, lots of time is wasted on low yield topics

- the material is not balanced properly for Step 1; there are about 5 tapes on anemias and 2 on pharmacology

- the quality of some the tapes is bad; on a couple I could hardly hear the reader even with the volume turned all the way up and others had annoying hisses and cracks in the background

- some of the readers mispronounce words, which for an a**l type like me, really drives me to distraction (and besides is unprofessional)

- not all of the tapes came with notes to accompany them

- some of the topics are endlessly repeated, which might help you learn them, but perhaps at the expense of including other topics

I prefer the tapes which are read by the originator of the series; his voice is well modulated and easy to listen to. Inquire how the tapes have changed since they first came out - present them with this list of complaints from a former customer and see how they respond. I did get a listen to some of the clinical tapes and they seem better and more relevant but I was reluctant to purchase them after the disappointment of the Step 1 tapes.

Hope this helps.

4. tonem

tonem Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Thanks Kim,

Do you have any recommendations or tips for board review?

Tony

[This message has been edited by tonem (edited 12-13-2000).]