1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Gold Standard Board Review

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by tonem, Dec 12, 2000.

1. tonem

tonem Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

If anyone has had any experience with the "Gold Standard" audio tapes for Step 1 review, I would appreciate any feedback you might have to offer...thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I purchased the tapes whne they first came out and I can't say I'd recommend them. While they are a unique and more interesting way to learn than reading, there are some problems:

- there are mistakes on the tapes, several of them

- perhaps more importantly, lots of time is wasted on low yield topics

- the material is not balanced properly for Step 1; there are about 5 tapes on anemias and 2 on pharmacology

- the quality of some the tapes is bad; on a couple I could hardly hear the reader even with the volume turned all the way up and others had annoying hisses and cracks in the background

- some of the readers mispronounce words, which for an a**l type like me, really drives me to distraction (and besides is unprofessional)

- not all of the tapes came with notes to accompany them

- some of the topics are endlessly repeated, which might help you learn them, but perhaps at the expense of including other topics

I prefer the tapes which are read by the originator of the series; his voice is well modulated and easy to listen to. Inquire how the tapes have changed since they first came out - present them with this list of complaints from a former customer and see how they respond. I did get a listen to some of the clinical tapes and they seem better and more relevant but I was reluctant to purchase them after the disappointment of the Step 1 tapes.

Hope this helps.

4. I purchased the tapes whne they first came out and I can't say I'd recommend them. While they are a unique and more interesting way to learn than reading, there are some problems:

- there are mistakes on the tapes, several of them

- perhaps more importantly, lots of time is wasted on low yield topics

- the material is not balanced properly for Step 1; there are about 5 tapes on anemias and 2 on pharmacology

- the quality of some the tapes is bad; on a couple I could hardly hear the reader even with the volume turned all the way up and others had annoying hisses and cracks in the background

- some of the readers mispronounce words, which for an a**l type like me, really drives me to distraction (and besides is unprofessional)

- not all of the tapes came with notes to accompany them

- some of the topics are endlessly repeated, which might help you learn them, but perhaps at the expense of including other topics

I prefer the tapes which are read by the originator of the series; his voice is well modulated and easy to listen to. Inquire how the tapes have changed since they first came out - present them with this list of complaints from a former customer and see how they respond. I did get a listen to some of the clinical tapes and they seem better and more relevant but I was reluctant to purchase them after the disappointment of the Step 1 tapes.

Hope this helps.

5. tonem

tonem Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Thanks Kim,

Do you have any recommendations or tips for board review?

Tony

[This message has been edited by tonem (edited 12-13-2000).]