Gold Standard MCAT CBTs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texan2414

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to know how everyone thinks of Gold Standard MCAT CBTs 1-10.

How did you do on these? How did they compare to AAMC and the real MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

sunrat please keep me updated on GS- I will also post my scores once I start them (should be a week from now)

Unfortunately I've done all my AAMCs so I only have GS and TBR tests.

I'm debating if I should buy more practice tests after GS-3 or just go AAMC from here on out...

Ill be taking gs-3 on Thursday.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm debating if I should buy more practice tests after GS-3 or just go AAMC from here on out...

Ill be taking gs-3 on Thursday.

GS are really not representable of aamc,
Science passages are shorter
VR the passages are really dense & detailed and questions focus on detail

GS are really not representable of aamc,
Science passages are shorter
VR the passages are really dense & detailed and questions focus on detail

What do you think is a better alternative for non aamc cbt's?

I will probably take 2 tests a week (then review) and the rest of the week go over TBR passages.

I believe I'll only have enough time for 10 practice tests (my mcat date is sept 7th). Do you advise only taking AAMC? Or maybe do half and half (with BR CBT)?

I will probably take 2 tests a week (then review) and the rest of the week go over TBR passages.

I believe I'll only have enough time for 10 practice tests (my mcat date is sept 7th). Do you advise only taking AAMC? Or maybe do half and half (with BR CBT)?

Skip AAMC 3 and do 4 to 11 plus BR 1-3 as 10 total?

Like this:
AAMC 5 (do 3 if you want to skip 5 as 5 is the easiest among all IMO and save money. I will do 5 though if I were you)
AAMC 4
BR 1
AAMC 7
BR 2
AAMC 9
BR 3
AAMC 8
AAMC 10
AAMC 11.

If you do BR FL, you need to order them NOW NOW, by sending snail mail with form (credit card) since you need to do BR1 very shortly. Contact BerkReviewTeach by PM if he can help you to push the approval quicker because of your time situation.

Last edited:
The GS tests scared me for a bit! After doing content review for a good month and a half I started doing practice tests every other day which I will do until my sitting which is this Friday. I did the 10 GS tests before starting the aamc's so definitely have a few thoughts on them.

I actually thought they were relatively easy until GS 7. The physical sciences is brutal on 7-10 and in my opinion not very reflective of aamc. The degree of knowledge and the complexity of the questions were quite a bit more difficult in PS and very calculation heavy. GS also just has alot of terribly worded and multiple-answer questions. That being said, I think they prepared me to be efficient with calculations which is very important if you get a calculation-heavy exam. I felt the aamc's were much easier in PS so it was a nice transition going from GS to aamc. My average is 3 points higher on aamc.

Verbal is odd. I don't think it is quite as bad as everyone says but there are some questions and answer choices that make absolutely no sense. The scale they use is wild and they give you a much higher score than you actually make. Regardless, it has practice value so I would still recommend using it just don't give the scores they give you too much credit. My average aamc score is actually a point lower in verbal despite being easier and getting more questions right in aamc.

Biology is a bit different than aamc but I feel like they are pretty similar in terms of difficulty. GS bio is much more info based than passage based like aamc. Once again, they throw a crazy curve on bio and make you feel better than you should. My aamc average was a point less than GS.

Overall, Ide say they're were buying and using considering the price but I would definitely do them before doing the aamc's and not taking your scores too seriously. I hope this of some help!

The GS tests scared me for a bit! After doing content review for a good month and a half I started doing practice tests every other day which I will do until my sitting which is this Friday. I did the 10 GS tests before starting the aamc's so definitely have a few thoughts on them.

I actually thought they were relatively easy until GS 7. The physical sciences is brutal on 7-10 and in my opinion not very reflective of aamc. The degree of knowledge and the complexity of the questions were quite a bit more difficult in PS and very calculation heavy. GS also just has alot of terribly worded and multiple-answer questions. That being said, I think they prepared me to be efficient with calculations which is very important if you get a calculation-heavy exam. I felt the aamc's were much easier in PS so it was a nice transition going from GS to aamc. My average is 3 points higher on aamc.

Verbal is odd. I don't think it is quite as bad as everyone says but there are some questions and answer choices that make absolutely no sense. The scale they use is wild and they give you a much higher score than you actually make. Regardless, it has practice value so I would still recommend using it just don't give the scores they give you too much credit. My average aamc score is actually a point lower in verbal despite being easier and getting more questions right in aamc.

Biology is a bit different than aamc but I feel like they are pretty similar in terms of difficulty. GS bio is much more info based than passage based like aamc. Once again, they throw a crazy curve on bio and make you feel better than you should. My aamc average was a point less than GS.

Overall, Ide say they're were buying and using considering the price but I would definitely do them before doing the aamc's and not taking your scores too seriously. I hope this of some help!

+1 Absolutely to the point. GS9 PS is :eek::eek:
Even VR in FL5 is :confused::confused: What???

You are right. Good practice though :cool:

Skip AAMC 3 and do 4 to 11 plus BR 1-3 as 10 total?

Like this:
AAMC 5 (do 3 if you want to skip 5 as 5 is the easiest among all IMO and save money. I will do 5 though if I were you)
AAMC 4
BR 1
AAMC 7
BR 2
AAMC 9
BR 3
AAMC 8
AAMC 10
AAMC 11.

If you do BR FL, you need to order them NOW NOW, by sending snail mail with form (credit card) since you need to do BR1 very shortly. Contact BerkReviewTeach by PM if he can help you to push the approval quicker because of your time situation.

Nice set up on the practice exams thank you.

The only problem is ordering these tests. I thought they were CBT so I could just login to their website and do the tests there(online)? I still have to order these tests like I'm ordering a paper version? Hmmm.

See this is what I have been hearing. I did hear GS 7-10 is just crazy. Which is why I would stop before reaching GS 7.
The format may not be the same but I have heard the GS tests are harder and on average their GS tests scores were 3 points lower than their AAMC Score.

BR FL did seem enticing as well but if I have to order it through the mail... Maybe not. Decisions....

Nice set up on the practice exams thank you.

The only problem is ordering these tests. I thought they were CBT so I could just login to their website and do the tests there(online)? I still have to order these tests like I'm ordering a paper version? Hmmm.

Yes, Yes, Yes and an ugly Yes :mad:
1) Get the form now and print it out, fill in with (credit card) and take it to post office now before midnight collection.
2) Contact BerkReviewTeach to inform him the mail is coming.
3) Wait for 3 to 4 days and send email also to Berkeley Review to push........cry if you have to :laugh:
4) You will receive a confirmation email with login information and PDF file for score chart.
5) Log on.

you will do the test on line just like AAMC. However, at the end of each test, you count the right/wrong and compare your score using the chart they sent to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
The GS site has an option where you can buy all 10 for $150. Definitely make sure to get that before paying for each individual test!

I actually thought GS 8 and 9 PS were more difficult than 7. The first few really are good practice though and personally I'de take them over BR. BR has the greatest prep books out there if you really need to break down a trouble topic. For some reason acids/bases/titrations were giving me a really hard time and BR helped me turn that area into a strength but their tests are just a bit over-board. Take that with a grain of salt though because many people swear by their tests.

I agree- I am very hopeful I won't regret buying GS Full Length exams. I do the MCAT Question of the Day and I find those questions to be very very helpful!

I will start taking GS FLs this weekend.

I agree- I am very hopeful I won't regret buying GS Full Length exams. I do the MCAT Question of the Day and I find those questions to be very very helpful!

I will start taking GS FLs this weekend.

Hey, any practice is better than no practice!

Texan- how many practice tests do you think you'll do every week?

Any FL aside from aamc is going to have a flaw by virtue of just not being aamc. Its the practice that you're paying for. Another cool thing about GS is they have forums where people can ask why they got particular problems wrong which is nice.

Any FL aside from aamc is going to have a flaw by virtue of just not being aamc. Its the practice that you're paying for. Another cool thing about GS is they have forums where people can ask why they got particular problems wrong which is nice.

Which I had to do because some of the explanation didn't make sense to me.

But their vr is awful no? It asks detail direct from passage and some of them are dense and weird

Sent from my fone

Hey, any practice is better than no practice!

Texan- how many practice tests do you think you'll do every week?

This week since I am brushing up on content, I will only take one this Sunday.

Starting next week, about 2-3 per week.

Between alternating exams, I have a TON of practice passages (a total of like 50+ passages for Physics, G-Chem, Bio) and my goal is to do ALL of them by Aug 28th.

I will also be retaking AAMCs just for practice and to see if my strategy and approach for problem solving is MCAT-like.

I also purchased Kaplan Tests 1-4; and I will be doing PS/BS sections from those as well.

-----------

In retrospect, this is how I should've studied for my first MCAT, but oh well!!!

I still didn't understand a few of them after seeing the explanations haha.

I will try their free exam (GS-1) and will let you know how the verbal goes. I have heard that they revised their verbal so its more AAMC-like, but I will have to do it to see it.

But their vr is awful no? It asks detail direct from passage and some of them are dense and weird

Sent from my fone

Yea that does happen with their verbal. You see a few graph repeats in the other sections as well.

Their verbal didn't seem bad. I can only compare it to EK 101 and GS verbals seemed like you could just go back to the passage and find your answers. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of "in the authors eyes, if this were to happen then the author would agree with..."

I've read people skipping GS verbal and replacing it with EK 101 verbal tests. However, give the full GS test a go and see what you think of it.

Ill tell you what, I wish I would have done more TBR passages. These are good!

I also have TBR CBT 1-3 but I won't be doing them for like a week after taking GS Full Lengths.

Substituting EK 101 with PS and Bio from GS is my backup plan for verbal.

sunrat please keep me updated on GS- I will also post my scores once I start them (should be a week from now)

Unfortunately I've done all my AAMCs so I only have GS and TBR tests.

Well I did my PS and my BS section from GS-3.

For PS: I got a 8 (last two tests were 7's). I was at the library and the beginning and middle of the test there were people talking. I had to put on my headphones. I'm struggling with time management in this section so I need to fix that. The last few passages I had to guess on due to time management.

For BS: I got a 10 (finally double digits!). I felt pretty comfortable in this section.

For VR: I haven't done. Library closes so I had to drive home. I'm debating on GS verbal or doing an EK one. I might do GS just for the heck of it. I do a few passages a day out of EK anyway.

Edit -

I forgot to mention I have been doing TBR passages (ch 1-4 right now) instead of EK 1001 books for my PS section and orgo.

Also, I have been using TPRH SW for my biology section.

I think this has helped tune my brain to more of a MCAT style compared to EK 1001 (I know that's not what that book is for really).

Last edited:
Received an 8 on VR from GS-3. It seemed like there were a lot of words in the passages this time around. It could be me though.

So, a 26 total this time around. Hopefully, this means I am improving. I went from a 24 to a 22 and now to a 26.

Hi, I just finished taking GS-1:

PS- 9; VR- 9; BS- 9 = 27.

I definitely felt there were many questions that are tricky or required much more calculations than needed.

Last edited:
Wow I think I'm burning out.

I scored a 21 on AAMC 5.

PS 6

VR 6

BS 9

I need ear plugs. Had someone talking again next to me as I startes taking this test (all the way through PS). I didn't even get to finish the last passage of PS and felt rushed. Made a few easy mistakes and clicked the wrong answer by accident on one question.

VR - honestly, I don't know why I scored so low. I generally do well using EK 101. Maybe I was still so ticked off on how PS went. The guy that was talking left the library or I couldn't hear him.

BS - haven't reviewed the test yet. I'm curious to see what happened.

I feel demoralized after this test. My test date is sept 7 and I need at least a 30.

So, I will continue completing these TBR passages (on chapter 8 doing the 1/3 phase so far) and hope this was just a fluke. I've scored higher on GS tests (24, 22 and 26) and they are supposed to be harder!

Hmm, I'm not sure what to say to your scores- having someone talking next to you is definitely detrimental.

Keep doing practice tests. I took GS-4 2 days ago and scored a 30 (10ps 9vr 11bs)- I think their exams are curved fairly. I am more inclined to believe that the curve may be a bit easier than AAMC.

One thing to definitely keep in mind: because you are using resources such as GS and TBR/TPR/EK, there are many questions that require you to think beyond the scope of the question (especially in Berkeley Physics)- but for AAMC you have to simplify the answer as much as you can. So I can see that affecting your performance on AAMC 5 as well.

Hmm, I'm not sure what to say to your scores- having someone talking next to you is definitely detrimental.

Keep doing practice tests. I took GS-4 2 days ago and scored a 30 (10ps 9vr 11bs)- I think their exams are curved fairly. I am more inclined to believe that the curve may be a bit easier than AAMC.

One thing to definitely keep in mind: because you are using resources such as GS and TBR/TPR/EK, there are many questions that require you to think beyond the scope of the question (especially in Berkeley Physics)- but for AAMC you have to simplify the answer as much as you can. So I can see that affecting your performance on AAMC 5 as well.

Yea, as I was going through the PS answers I was getting really irritated because I knew quite a few of them but just didn't piece them together like I should have. I need to try and stay in the "scope" of the question and not over think it.
So, do you suggest another practice test or take a week and go through more TBR material before attempting another practice test?
Ideally, the more the practice tests the better but I don't want to "waste" them if I could have improved my score studying a bit more out of TBR.

Thanks for your help!

I would actually quit TBR for now because of the reasons I mentioned before. Try to do PS/BS sections of all the previous exams you've taken so that you are thinking "AAMC style" and not "Berkeley style".

I know some of the mindset from BK can really screw you over in AAMC and I think you'd benefit from more practice using actual AAMC stuff.

Let us know how that goes for you -

I would actually quit TBR for now because of the reasons I mentioned before. Try to do PS/BS sections of all the previous exams you've taken so that you are thinking "AAMC style" and not "Berkeley style".

I know some of the mindset from BK can really screw you over in AAMC and I think you'd benefit from more practice using actual AAMC stuff.

Let us know how that goes for you -

Great advice. Thanks. I think I'll spend the whole day tomorrow doing nothing but PS materials and just improve on my weak subjects.