Gold standard vs Exam Krackers: Content Review & Practice Tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shawnpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In addition to the TPR MCAT course, I'm looking for supplemental tests and maybe content material. How do you feel about Gold standard vs. Exam Krackers for:

1. Comprehensive content review

And

2. Practice Tests (Representative of actual MCAT,difficulty)?

Is it overkill to get the Official AAMC MCAT Study guide as well?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

EK would be better for content review and would compliment your Hyperlearning books.

For practice tests, avoid EK and get Gold Standard's practice tests.

The Official MCAT guide isn't that good. I believe TPR gives you access to the AAMC practice tests which further devalues the Official guide.

EK would be better for content review and would compliment your Hyperlearning books.

For practice tests, avoid EK and get Gold Standard's practice tests.

The Official MCAT guide isn't that good. I believe TPR gives you access to the AAMC practice tests which further devalues the Official guide.

the first like 5-6 GS tests are good practice, I guess, although they are NOT representative of your real MCAT score. your scores are way lower on GS.

after GS5-6, the tests get so crummy. they aren't even good for just practice anymore because the questions and passages are so FAR OFF from the real test's haha.

I've taken through GS7, and I've had just about enough of these tests. :thumbdown:

the first like 5-6 GS tests are good practice, I guess, although they are NOT representative of your real MCAT score. your scores are way lower on GS.

after GS5-6, the tests get so crummy. they aren't even good for just practice anymore because the questions and passages are so FAR OFF from the real test's haha.

I've taken through GS7, and I've had just about enough of these tests. :thumbdown:
What are the problems specifically? I just ordered all 10 =S.

Members don't see this ad :)
THanks. I'll probably supplement my TPR hyperlearning books with the GS tests and EK comprehensive books.

What are the problems specifically? I just ordered all 10 =S.

The Gold Standard tests have significantly more difficult PS questions. I have been getting 11 and 12 on the AAMC tests, and have gotten a 7 and an 8 on the first two GS tests I've taken. The Bio seems fairly in line with the AAMC, maybe a little harder.

The VR for the GS was very easy the first time...so easy that I didn't give much effort to the second one, and my score went from 12 to 9!

The down side to the GS tests is that the explanations aren't that good, and their "help forum" for asking/answering specific questions hasn't had a question answered since September 2008. Examkrackers forum is much better.