• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

GTea

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2004
CA
Visit site
Status
I joined it, but did not participate in anything they did. Its a shame.

Like someone said on the other honors society thread, membership to these societies are worthless if you're not actively involved. If you become significantly involved, I think it'll help in your application. But don't spend the money if your not going to get involved.

Robz

La Vie Boheme
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
Drinking Texas Tea
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It was something just to put on an application for me. Much like the biology honor fraternity.

About the Ads

Heal&Teach

cogito ergo sum
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2003
adsum
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Indeed. If it was PBK, that would be different. But no one asked in my interviews: so, i see that you were a member of Golden Key. Unless you had some sort of major role (e.g., I helped organize their annual bone marrow donor drive at my undergraduate institution), you can list it, but it probably won't make too much of a difference.

LP1CW

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2003
Visit site
Status
Why bother? Do something meaningful with your time, something to make yourself look intereting. Everyone has worthless stuff like that on their apps. It's just fluff.

You need substantial and interesting things on your application. you're better off doing research in someone's lab as an undergraduate. Find an interest and develop it. Clubs like that are open to all of us. They just base it on your GPA. It's not that big of a deal. If you have a good GPA, you're in.

Save your money. It's not going to help you.

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
do you even get a golden key as a commemorative souvenier?:D

Robz

La Vie Boheme
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
Drinking Texas Tea
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by jlee9531
do you even get a golden key as a commemorative souvenier?:D
No...but you get a crap load of mail for credit cards with free static stickers in them.

I take the stickers and throw out the credit card order forms.

:) free stuff is cool.

Spitting Camel

Anteater for Life!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
'Eaterville
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Robz
No...but you get a crap load of mail for credit cards with free static stickers in them.

I take the stickers and throw out the credit card order forms.

:) free stuff is cool.
You also get a medallion, cord, and stole to wear at graduation... call me superficial ;)

Robz

La Vie Boheme
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
Drinking Texas Tea
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
You also get a medallion, cord, and stole to wear at graduation... call me superficial ;)
Damn...I never got any of that crap when I graduated. I wanna refund! :p

Jet915

Shi*ter's Rule
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
Jacksonville, NC
www.naturesamerica.com
Status
I was a Golden Key officer so I was actively involved. Don't join unless you want to get active. You do get a cord though but they cost 20 bucks unless you are an officer. I got one for free but I didn't even wear it.

Jetson

drlexygoat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2003
under the boardwalk, down by the sea
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by BaseballFan
don't waste your money
It's only a waste of money if you're using it as a "checkbook credential." (ex - something you paid to be in just for the line on your resume). Med schools could care less if you just belong. They want to see substance. If you actually hold a position and/or DO something of substance for the organization, then it's worth it.

DrBodacious

15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2003
Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
Ya, you have to buy all that stuff. It's a waste of money, don't join. I wish I hadn't. I probalby wouldn't even put it on my applications next time around.

CrazyCarl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2003
Visit site
Status
Golden Key is a joke, but my close friend got a scholarship through them. If you're a really solid applicant, you might consider paying for it just to apply for more money.

Nvr Ending Jrny

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Jet915
I was a Golden Key officer so I was actively involved. Don't join unless you want to get active. You do get a cord though but they cost 20 bucks unless you are an officer. I got one for free but I didn't even wear it.

Jetson
Hey Jetson, what do officers do?

Jet915

Shi*ter's Rule
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
Jacksonville, NC
www.naturesamerica.com
Status
I was the treasurer so I had all the money:)

Jetson

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by Jet915
I was the treasurer so I had all the money:)

Jetson
no wonder that chapter closed down...i always wondered what happened...:D

fabs82

15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2003
New Haven, CT
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by drlexygoat
It's only a waste of money if you're using it as a "checkbook credential." (ex - something you paid to be in just for the line on your resume). Med schools could care less if you just belong. They want to see substance. If you actually hold a position and/or DO something of substance for the organization, then it's worth it.

I am currently the president of the golden key here at U of Rochester (so I would say im somewhat involved in it!) and let me tell you it DID NOT COME UP ONCE during ANY of my interviews. So, even if yorue involved... its not going to get you much in the way of help with the ADCOMS.

However, If youre actually interested in doing some community service, etc... then its a great organization to join, though it depends on how the organization is at your campus. Dont just join for medical school. I found that every organization I joined "to impress schools" were just a waste of time.

Just my .02

About the Ads