Goldstandard CBT- How do you feel about them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMD86

'Pre' free!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's probably past threads on this but I want some fresh opinions.

I've done all the Kaplan and AAMC exams so I started doing Goldstandard exams for extra practice. They seem, quite honestly, ****ty in my opinion.
If you've used them, what do you think about them?

Also, their scale seems to be out of whack. I just scored 31/40 on their verbal section which according to them earned me an '8'.
It seems like 31/40 would equal a 10 if not 11 on the MCAT, no?

Thanks for the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe every single word you said about it. These generally have been considered to be inferior to the other products that you can get. You could try getting TPR tests for more practice, but I don't know how you'd be able to do that.

Also, doesn't EK have exams for you to work on?

Keep in mind AAMC practice exams and some would argue Kaplan are the only ones that help "predict" a score. I found the 3 Gold Standard CBT's I took just as useful and WAY more useful than Kaplan in terms of just practicing test taking skills on passages and material that seemed pretty similar to the AAMC's. Kaplan's full lengths and especially PS sections I find might help me more if I just used them as untimed practice problems since there is no way in hell I can finish their PS section. (ok well, the ps section on FL 6 anyway. I barely finished FL 5's)

Quality wise, yes the GS CBT's are sketchy and have some really weirdly worded questions and also have a scale just as hard as the AAMC's scale for probably somewhat higher difficulty. But they really aren't that bad if you go into the test trying to learn from it rather than to get a score you like / think is accurate.