Golf Clubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

William Sparrow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to pick up golf. I've been playing for about 3 weeks now and am hooked. Any recs on a good starter set of clubs for a novice like myself who's brand new to the game?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd recommend getting a set of last year's clubs or something on clearance. save some money and put that into some lessons.

check out "golf sidekick" on youtube, great channel, great way to think about the game playa!

Reactions: 2 users
You can buy a relatively inexpensive starter set with callaway clubs

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Or even get a set of gently used, higher end clubs at a fraction of the price. Places like Golf Galaxy/Austad's or similar have a decent selection of new and used and a simulator to let you try them.

Reactions: 1 users
i avoid mass market stores

support a local business (not those in a golf course - they tend to be more expensive) if there is one, especially at an outdoor range.

you will find that the "salesmen" at these local businesses are generally more qualified to see what you need - and what you are doing with your swing. you can get a free look at your swing, ofttimes by a golf pro, as you try some clubs out. in fact, you might consider taking lessons from these guys.

you are rich enough - get a decent but not expensive set. i wouldnt go under $700. get a cheap set and its more likely you wont want to keep playing.

in the end, it isnt the clubs, its the swing.

Reactions: 1 users
Costco’s callaway set is literally the best starter set out there. I think about $500. I still use some of those clubs in my current set (I happen to LOVE the 5 hybrid that comes with it, it’s a go to club for me even now)

The day you start breaking 90, you are ready for an upgrade. In my opinion, that means getting fitted. Loft, shaft stiffness, bounce, etc. All stuff you can care about around that timeframe.

If you’re just starting, you’re prob a couple summers away from this happening, so this set will be just perfect for you.

Hope that helps, enjoy!

Reactions: 1 user
I would agree with buying some used name brand stuff from a few years ago.

I will brag. I played in highschool and college. Golf clubs barely change year to year. I play the same irons I played in college (17 years ago), makes little difference.

Go have fun. Nobody is great when they start out.

Reactions: 2 users