Golijan and playback speed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have the audio files from two different sources, but using Windows Media Player, in neither case can I increase the playback speed.

What gives?

Ive gone through them once, but I can't afford to go through them all again at an hour a pop

Members don't see this ad.

Just use an audio editing program and change the speeds yourself...Cool Edit Pro or something...Does take sometime to go thru each one tho...Do it while you listen to one maybe.

Members don't see this ad :)
run a search for the program called, Audacity.
it is the best free audio editing software.

import the file you want to change by pressing file, open, and select your file.

press ctrl+A to highlight the entire file after you have imported it.

press "effect" and then "change tempo"

enter 15-20% in the box that pops up, click ok and wait for the file to process

the audio file will now appear shorter. highlight the portion that is audio.

press file, export selection as mp3.

Almost got it, but than something about LAME mp3 encoder or something. Im downloading it now.

THANKS!!

Since they put our lectures online in audio and video format, most people in my school are pretty good at listening to lectures at 1.5x speed. The best way to do it that I found is to use WinAmp and then download a plugin called Pacemaker. Both are free. The great thing about pacemaker is that you can lower the pitch as you increase the speed so that the person's voice sounds the same and not like a chipmunk. Unless you like chipmunks that is.

Since they put our lectures online in audio and video format, most people in my school are pretty good at listening to lectures at 1.5x speed. The best way to do it that I found is to use WinAmp and then download a plugin called Pacemaker. Both are free. The great thing about pacemaker is that you can lower the pitch as you increase the speed so that the person's voice sounds the same and not like a chipmunk. Unless you like chipmunks that is.

Pacemaker is CRUCIAL. Great plugin. Make sure you get the version 2 and not the first version, though.

seriously-a rare LOL for me

Sorry if this post may sound obvious, but I am clueless on how to operate Winamp. I downloaded it as well as Pacemaker to speed up my goljan lectures, and after I adjust the settings (Pitch -7, Speed +50) I don't know where to go from there to get the songs on my iPod. I clicked the "memorize above settings for each song" but it would only go to the new settings about half the time I clicked back on a given lecture. Also, this morning Im not able to even open the lectures in Winamp after making the changes to about half of the lectures last night??

Could someone help me in telling me how to:

1) save each lecture with the new settings from pacemaker
2) Transfer the altered lectures to iTunes so I can download them on my iPod.
3) Also, possibly why I am not able to open the lectures this morning on Winamp? When I click on a lecture, it just cycles through all the goljan lectures without playing any of them??

Thank you!

As far as I know, Winamp is only to listen to the recordings on your computer. It doesn't change the actual file to make it faster. It just speeds up the playback as you listen to it.

If you want to move sped up files to your ipod, I would suggest downloading or buying some kind of audio editor software. Just a quick google search turned up something called Audacity that looks like it might do the trick. Change the speed and the pitch and then save the lecture as a new file. Don't just hit save since you don't want to overwrite the original. For more programs that might do similar things search on cnet. Good luck!

CNET audio editors

Audacity allows you to change speed which changes pitch as well as change tempo so he sounds like normal.

I like

yea - in audacity it's important to use the change tempo effect instead of change speed effect, or else poppy will sound like a chipmunk

What settings do you guys use in audacity for the lectures? I tried increasing the speed 50% but when I change tempo it only gets more chipmunkish...what am I doing wrong?

What settings do you guys use in audacity for the lectures? I tried increasing the speed 50% but when I change tempo it only gets more chipmunkish...what am I doing wrong?

Is there a toolbar to get like windows media player to drag back (rewind) when you miss something and want to hear it again? I can't find that on audacity.

Is there a toolbar to get like windows media player to drag back (rewind) when you miss something and want to hear it again? I can't find that on audacity.

I haven't played with audacity but with winamp (with or without using pacemaker) hitting the back arrow rewinds 5 seconds. Hitting it a couple times will usually let you hear the last sentence or two quickly and easily.

Try this one. It's a simple media player that can speed up and down, all while maintaining pitch. I used it for Goljan before my path shelf.

That's GOOD stuff, thanks Ekephalin !! :thumbup:

I haven't played with audacity but with winamp (with or without using pacemaker) hitting the back arrow rewinds 5 seconds. Hitting it a couple times will usually let you hear the last sentence or two quickly and easily.

Thanks... the program Ekephalin recommended is awesome. Gonna go with that.