Goljan audio as good for Step 2 as Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seansoutherland

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings. I used Goljan in tandem with my classes for 2nd year pathology class and wound up using him instead of bothering to attend class. He was THAT good.

Does anyone know if the 20 step 2 lectures are as good? Or are the audio lectures from the PASS program or Kaplan a better resource?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

#1 - listen to them yourself and decide
#2 - they seem to be NOT step 2 related but he reads to you the 100 page high yield nots, starting with 2 hrs of epidemiology and onward to lab values, etc. seem more step 1 path related, basically useless it seems. also same dumb jokes and comment, ie Trevor is not REALLY from the UK, WHO CARES???

yeah... that whole trevor thing gets so Fing old... but, i will say that he does make you remember just a few more things here and there. like, podophyllin for warts. i had never HEARD of podophyllin but then did a block of UW ?s and got one more right because of it. i just pretty much use it in the car when i'm driving to my rotations. i HATE studying.

p

After reading about lurkers who contribute nothing back to SDN, I decided to not be "that guy."

In this regard, I have received the Goljan Audio files for Step 2 and have also listened to one Neurology lecture from P.A.S.S. Here are my thoughts:

My impression is that the Goljan files are re-hashes of his Step 1 lectures, and they are not divided into logical sections based upon separate rotations. For instance, I tried to narrow down the Neurology content, as it is my current rotation, but could not find a discreet section; rather, some information was inserted rather haphazardly throughout all 24 lectures. I was disappointed, since Goljan was a highly contributory factor in my overall understanding of concepts for the 1st 2 years. I have listened to two sources of the files, and both are poor in quality with the recorder constantly whispering to a classmate or commenting to a nearby student. Alas, I have to part ways and use other resources. I might listen to the files when I have nothing better to do (which will probably end up being NEVER). Sorry, Dr. Goljan.

There is one Neurology lecture file from the P.A.S.S. program that seems more Step 1 related, but I have learned some information that I had either forgotten or was never taught. The instructor is very down-to-earth and focuses on general concepts, both for Step 1 and 2. I thought that listening to it at least a couple of times was worth the time.

I am going to try the seven Kaplan lectures for Neurology as soon as I get a chance and post my experiences afterward. Please feel free to comment on anything, as I have found that there are few people who have sought out audio for shelf tests and/or Step 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey seansoutherland!! Where did u get P.A.S.S. videos from??

shiv said:
hey seansoutherland!! Where did u get P.A.S.S. videos from??

There is an official website that can be located with a google search. They sell their DVD's there, although I did coincidentally happenstance upon vendors on e-bay. Officially, however, I can only condone the legitimate purchase through their website.