Goljan audio cuts off at the end?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by postbacc, Nov 13, 2005.

1. postbacc

postbacc Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just got the Goljan audio, and I want to make sure I have everything available: 37 lectures and the last one (CNS Special Senses) cuts off at the end around 41 minutes while he's in the middle of talking about Parkinson's disease. Am I missing something or is this like the only version of Gojan audio out there.

thanks.

2. DoctorWannaBe

DoctorWannaBe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Mine cuts off at the same place at 41 minutes. I'm not sure if there is another version of the audio that is complete.

3. Rendar5

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    got the same issue. (and the CD didn't fully burn 2 other lectures. still, i got my money's worth)

4. postbacc

postbacc Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

How many lectures should there be total? I've got 37, but I thought I heard about 40.

5. bhuvi

bhuvi Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

hey even i have 37 files... 7 on day1,
    8 on days2,3 and4,
    6 on day 5
    is this incomplete??

I bought it from ebay... whr did u guys get it?

6. postbacc

postbacc Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

That's exactly what I have. That seems to be what I've seen going around as well, so I guess we have the only version out there?

7. DoctorWannaBe

DoctorWannaBe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There are several places online to download it for free. If anyone wants to download it, I'll try to find the site I got it from.

8. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    Keeping in mind it is illegal to possess these files.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Rendar5

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am interested in the legality of it, actually. Did Kaplan make the recording? It sounds to me like it was a student in a Kaplan program who made the recording. I could be wrong, but my question that follows assumes that I am right:
    i can understand copyrighted Kaplan material being illegal to own w/o paying Kaplan for it. But are audio files that were recorded by someone other than Kaplan for their own private purposes and then shared w/ colleagues illegal to own? And if that is illegal, is sharing notes you take in class illegal?

If this is a recording that was actually done by Kaplan or done by Goljan for Kaplan, then I can see why it is illegal. Just like all those mp3's on my old desktop, lol.

EDIT: just so no one gets the wrong idea. this is just an intellectual exercise for me. Not looking to start a debate on whether or not it is right or wrong to have the Goljan audio.

10. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Per Goljan, those recordings were made by students after they were informed that they were not permitted to record his lectures because they are his (copywritten) material. He doesn't allow his OSU-COM students to record lectures, either, for the same reason.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Rendar5

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    thanks for the info Dr. Mom! :) :thumbup: I see why they're not legal now.

12. quideam

quideam Too tired to complain
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wonder why goljan doesn't make his own set of audio lectures? All he would have to do is record his sessions - he could even make DVDs. There's a HUGE market for this - I bet that the DVD/ audio set would become almost as 'standard' for review material as FA....

13. OSUdoc08

Removed

Medical Student
    I doubt it's one of his priorities. Maybe you should send him a letter and ask him.

14. LAZYGUY

LAZYGUY Playing the match game
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    stop being such an a$$ to everyone on this forum, you are NOT the foremost expert on all-things goljan.

15. OSUdoc08

Removed

Medical Student
    Those people are illegally using his audio. I have no sympathy for such people.

16. Rendar5

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i can understand not having sympathy, but I'm kinda not sure your motives for coming on this thread to explain that it's not legal when that question never arose before? Do you normally tell people that it's illegal to have mp3's w/o paying for it if you overhear a classmate talk about it? Or that speeding is illegal if you see them speeding?

I'm not arguing whether or not its legal, as it most clearly is not, and with good reason. I'm just asking you what your ulterior motive is in entering this thread? Unless I kinda missed something (which i must say is entirely possible. I'm a bit braindead from studying neurology right now) in this thread that actually did warrant such a post?

17. OSUdoc08

Removed

Medical Student
    I say it because Dr. Goljan gave us a long talk about it recently.

18. quideam

quideam Too tired to complain
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ummm... ok, so I wasn't trying to start a fight, just commenting... Goljan is really busy writing his books, which are essentially compilations of his notes, which is why I'm surprised that he's not marketing his lectures as well. And no, I won't be writing a letter :p