Goljan audios alone or Pathoma videos alone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the 2012 thread, but thought I'd post it here so it's easier for more people to see.

I basically have time to do just one: either the Goljan audios (not the rapid review book, just the audio alone) or the Pathoma videos alone. Which one do you guys reccomend?

Also, is the Pathoma text any good? Can I watch the videos alone or do I need to follow along with the text?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yep..back to it...and just like i said..its like doing DIT without having FA...

thats why most take notes in the pathoma book...and pathoma videos, from the little I have done do a good job of explaining it more further

of course you can take notes starting from blank...but not worth it IMO..better to just annotate your book

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I'm just a really visual person. So when he diagrams stuff and explains it = I understand. I don't really need an outline of the high points, I already have a visual understanding of the high points.

The only thing about DIT is he's not really explaining anything visually - instead he just talks about the pics in first aid. (granted occasionally they will have pictures of skin lesions, etc.) So if you're a visual learner and need those diagrams, you still definitely need FA for DIT. So for my brain at least, those two courses sans books aren't really comparable. Again: for me at least.

To the OP on the topic trying to decide how to use it: It might be a better use of your time to do the first video and see what works best for you, than to post the question and sit around waiting for us to argue what's the best for everyone :rolleyes: :D

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I'm just a really visual person. So when he diagrams stuff and explains it = I understand. I don't really need an outline of the high points, I already have a visual understanding of the high points.

The only thing about DIT is he's not really explaining anything visually - instead he just talks about the pics in first aid. (granted occasionally they will have pictures of skin lesions, etc.) So if you're a visual learner and need those diagrams, you still definitely need FA for DIT. So for my brain at least, those two courses sans books aren't really comparable. Again: for me at least.

I agree. I would have made the exact same post, but then I forgot.

DOMan79 said:
let's all be honest here...the only reason why you wouldn't use the pathoma book is because you have the bootleg videos and don't want to purchase the book....
I don't see why you'd want to antagonize people by making such an accusation just because you can't think of a reason why they'd do things differently from how you do. Do you want to see the receipt for my purchase?

If it was possible to do DIT without FA, I would. Pathoma has all of the textbook points in his lecture slides. DIT doesn't. It's completely different.

I agree. I would have made the exact same post, but then I forgot.

I don't see why you'd want to antagonize people by making such an accusation just because you can't think of a reason why they'd do things differently from how you do. Do you want to see the receipt for my purchase?

If it was possible to do DIT without FA, I would. Pathoma has all of the textbook points in his lecture slides. DIT doesn't. It's completely different.

no..no need to show receipt...that is beyond anything i was implying.....there are plenty of threads of how people have the DIT bootleg and to go on torrents, etc..i was applying that logic here...with fallacy

Members don't see this ad :)
No worries... I think this is one of the many online forum discussions that somehow degenerates into an argument that's mostly irrelevant to the original question...

Hi there,

I've recently started listening to Goljan and started the Pathoma trial (M1 still and will definitely buy the course when the time comes) and I second what some wrote earlier. I actually liked them both, even though they follow completely different styles of presentation. Goljan may be better if you already know the stuff and is only revising now. Pathoma videos may be suited to those still needing some explanations (my case, as I haven't had any Path yet, though it looks like most of it is common sense). In the end, I reckon they complement each other. Since the Goljan audio is free anyway, even though I bet most of us would have paid for it, if that was possible, it's a given if you have the time to listen to it (commuting and exercising comes to mind).

Can't say anything about the books. I'll probably try to learn this stuff from the regular textbooks the first time around and then move to the revision stuff later. I already bought FA 2012 so I've something to start with.

Cheers

I used Pathoma throughout the year to do well in my pathology course and actually understand it. I am now just reviewing the text plus my written notes in it PLUS using Goljan audios and his book as a review now that I am in pure Step 1 mode. I am so glad I did this! Goljan is a great review! It is not comprehensive, but he def hits a lot of good points and helps to make connections!

With that being said I just realized I am missing the second GI lecture and the first hepatobilliary lecture. Does any one have those and would be willing to share? Thanks! :]

I listened to half of goljan. It's ok.

I got tired of it. If you know the material from FA and Uworld you can do well. If you like other presentations of the same stuff, then I guess goljan is great.

Personally, I don't think it's high yield when compared to other stuff. The book is pretty good - if you can pull out the gold from the minutia.