• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Goljan High Yield really "high-yield"?

Flintstone

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2002
California
    Hello!

I have a couple days till Step 1 and am wondering how high-yield Goljan HY notes are. I heard good things about the notes from this forum. People said that they had several questions that come right out of the notes.....but I figure this could be true for any review material we are using. Anyone has good experience (or bad) with the notes? How high-yield it actually is?

Just want to see how I can use the last day of preparation wisely (aside from sleeping).

Thanks a lot in advance. :)

JMD

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Feb 12, 2002
      How long does it take to cruise through the 36 pp. notes. I wanted to take the whole day off before my exam to chill :cool:, but now I'm thinking I might spend the morning looking over the notes? Is it worthwhile to look through them for a couple hours on a day I swore to myself would be study-free???

About the Ads

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
      Lifetime Donor
      15+ Year Member
      Apr 21, 2003
      Here
      1. Attending Physician
        Guys this stuff is all over the web. The reason I wont give it out is because he was my professor and he impressed upon us how important it was that we not engage in this. He helped me out, so I say to anyone who wants to learn from Goljan, to shell out the $35 and buy his book or take the Kaplan course for big $$$. His HY topics are available in multiple areas, just google his name and you will come across it. Unfortunately, it is all in pretty bad quality PDF files and these dont translate to other formats well, especially since it is usually a copy of a copy of a scan of a copy.

Flintstone

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Apr 15, 2002
        California
          Idiopathic said:
          Guys this stuff is all over the web. The reason I wont give it out is because he was my professor and he impressed upon us how important it was that we not engage in this. He helped me out, so I say to anyone who wants to learn from Goljan, to shell out the $35 and buy his book or take the Kaplan course for big $$$. His HY topics are available in multiple areas, just google his name and you will come across it. Unfortunately, it is all in pretty bad quality PDF files and these dont translate to other formats well, especially since it is usually a copy of a copy of a scan of a copy.

I know he teaches Step 2 as well. Does he work for Kaplan? How and where do I sign up for his lecture? And, if he is associated with Kaplan, and if I sign up for a Kaplan class, how do I make sure that I get him for the Path lecture? Thanks.

P.S. I am referring more to Step 2 than Step 1

USMLEHATER

10+ Year Member
          Jun 10, 2005
            Flintstone said:
            I know he teaches Step 2 as well. Does he work for Kaplan? How and where do I sign up for his lecture? And, if he is associated with Kaplan, and if I sign up for a Kaplan class, how do I make sure that I get him for the Path lecture? Thanks.

P.S. I am referring more to Step 2 than Step 1

Maybe im missing something here but the notes i have are 600 pgs long and they're very good but longgggggg. 40 pages on acid-base feel like i have metabolic acidosis right now. :laugh: Is this worth though guys im about 1/3 done with them but boy i plan to do BRS after this and my test in is 1 1/2 weeks. Is it overkill?

HiddenTruth

7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Jul 30, 2002
              USMLEHATER said:
              Maybe im missing something here but the notes i have are 600 pgs long and they're very good but longgggggg. 40 pages on acid-base feel like i have metabolic acidosis right now. :laugh: Is this worth though guys im about 1/3 done with them but boy i plan to do BRS after this and my test in is 1 1/2 weeks. Is it overkill?
              there is significant amt of stuff in those notes that is for step 2 as well--esp. the acid base stuff.

DRek

The town character.
              15+ Year Member
              Nov 4, 2002
              Anchorage Alaska
              1. Attending Physician
                I emailed Dr. Goljan about his high yeild notes and he said that all of that same information can be found in his latest published Rapid Review Series (Pathology, Biochemistry and USMLE Step I).
                If you think his hard work has helped you or is helping you prepare for the exam you might consider aquiring a version of his work from which he would recieve some compensation. :thumbup:

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.