Goljan High Yield really "high-yield"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flintstone

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have a couple days till Step 1 and am wondering how high-yield Goljan HY notes are. I heard good things about the notes from this forum. People said that they had several questions that come right out of the notes.....but I figure this could be true for any review material we are using. Anyone has good experience (or bad) with the notes? How high-yield it actually is?

Just want to see how I can use the last day of preparation wisely (aside from sleeping).

Thanks a lot in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

How long does it take to cruise through the 36 pp. notes. I wanted to take the whole day off before my exam to chill :cool:, but now I'm thinking I might spend the morning looking over the notes? Is it worthwhile to look through them for a couple hours on a day I swore to myself would be study-free???

Just where can I find these 36-page Goljan notes. Everyone keeps talking about them but I can't find it on Ebay/Amazon... :confused:

If you look in Ebay, it is usually titled Goljan audio step 1, something like that. They usually sell his audio lecture with his HY notes. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
JMD, I heard you.....anyways I started to read through them already. The fonts are really small (or I am getting old)...., and I think it helps more if you have already listened to his stuff.

I screwed the Practice test (150Q at Prometric) today and am a bit depressed. :scared:

Idiopathic said:
Yeah, look for it here.

I got so excited that someone was actually helping me out. Thanks but no thanks...haha. Luckily, I got PM's from 2 very kind med students on SDN stating that they'll email them to me. Now "that's" what I call helpful!

Ok,

Here's the deal, the Goljan material is way too friggin' big (38 MB for the 2002, 100-page version) and 41 MB for the 2003 version. Any ideas on how the files can be transferred to someone else other than piecemeal? thks...

Guys this stuff is all over the web. The reason I wont give it out is because he was my professor and he impressed upon us how important it was that we not engage in this. He helped me out, so I say to anyone who wants to learn from Goljan, to shell out the $35 and buy his book or take the Kaplan course for big $$$. His HY topics are available in multiple areas, just google his name and you will come across it. Unfortunately, it is all in pretty bad quality PDF files and these dont translate to other formats well, especially since it is usually a copy of a copy of a scan of a copy.

Idiopathic said:
Guys this stuff is all over the web. The reason I wont give it out is because he was my professor and he impressed upon us how important it was that we not engage in this. He helped me out, so I say to anyone who wants to learn from Goljan, to shell out the $35 and buy his book or take the Kaplan course for big $$$. His HY topics are available in multiple areas, just google his name and you will come across it. Unfortunately, it is all in pretty bad quality PDF files and these dont translate to other formats well, especially since it is usually a copy of a copy of a scan of a copy.

I know he teaches Step 2 as well. Does he work for Kaplan? How and where do I sign up for his lecture? And, if he is associated with Kaplan, and if I sign up for a Kaplan class, how do I make sure that I get him for the Path lecture? Thanks.

P.S. I am referring more to Step 2 than Step 1

Flintstone said:
I know he teaches Step 2 as well. Does he work for Kaplan? How and where do I sign up for his lecture? And, if he is associated with Kaplan, and if I sign up for a Kaplan class, how do I make sure that I get him for the Path lecture? Thanks.

P.S. I am referring more to Step 2 than Step 1

Maybe im missing something here but the notes i have are 600 pgs long and they're very good but longgggggg. 40 pages on acid-base feel like i have metabolic acidosis right now. :laugh: Is this worth though guys im about 1/3 done with them but boy i plan to do BRS after this and my test in is 1 1/2 weeks. Is it overkill?

USMLEHATER said:
Maybe im missing something here but the notes i have are 600 pgs long and they're very good but longgggggg. 40 pages on acid-base feel like i have metabolic acidosis right now. :laugh: Is this worth though guys im about 1/3 done with them but boy i plan to do BRS after this and my test in is 1 1/2 weeks. Is it overkill?
there is significant amt of stuff in those notes that is for step 2 as well--esp. the acid base stuff.

I emailed Dr. Goljan about his high yeild notes and he said that all of that same information can be found in his latest published Rapid Review Series (Pathology, Biochemistry and USMLE Step I).
If you think his hard work has helped you or is helping you prepare for the exam you might consider aquiring a version of his work from which he would recieve some compensation. :thumbup:

i used the high yield notes last week for my step 1 and the notes were great!! i couldn't believe how many i had on my exam. definitely worth looking at.

which notes may i ask the entire 600 pages for path or the high yield for each subject (which range from like 8-50 pgs). Im assuming the latter just want to clarify. Thanks.

Hi all,

Has anyone ever done the path qs that correlate with his lects?

It's the big
@ss one with 67 pgs or so covering 5-10 qs from each lect.

Or is the 36 pg HY review GOLDEN enough :cool: ?

Thanks